Bad hunter?

Chef

Ive stuck skulls in trees all the time while in the woods, nothing much about it, maybe to just show others whats out there.

Yeah, I have been known to do the same. When I run across an old skull, rather than just leave it semi-concealed on the ground, I will stick it up where people can see it. It's just a way of sharing the find with any other people walking through the area. I never thought that anyone would be creeped-out by seeing where a deer had died. Is that really a concern to many of you? Does that upset you all? Maybe I shouldn't be doing that.

• Like 1

Well my back yard has a pile of deer skulls,sitting on a old 4 trunked stump. I like to pick them up in the woods bring 'em home for the skull tree.

Sometimes I hang a shed or skull near my stands to see if friends notice them while sitting in the stands .

I have a fantastic collection on the garage wall, whitetail, fox, coyote, coon, squirrel, chipmunk, woodchuck, mice, opossum, etc. If i find it i keep it. I actually found one this past spring while shed hinting.... pi$$ed me off too, ill have to snap a pic and upload. Shows how stupid some people are when bowhunting.... wait for it

WOW! I waited and am not impressed. what on earth was this guy thinking with that shot? most people won't consider a shot thats not broadside or quartering away and some bozo takes this shot

I wish i knew! I wish i knew who and where too... all i know is that was prob a long painful death and the coyotes dragged his skull ( if not more) to there den. I was beyond upset when i found it!!! Was a buck too.

Ah yes .... the old eyeball shot. What was the guy hoping for? Head-shots are a super low percentage shot bordering on impossible. He knows better I'm sure but just succumbs to the old panicked spray and pray philosophy. It's too bad that some guys don't have a little more control over themselves.

Of course if you want to struggle for a reasonable excuse for such a hit, you might try to imagine a deer jumping the string and getting his eye where the kill zone used to be .... lol. Probably not all that likely, but possible I suppose.

Pretty quick to lable the guy a scumbag. The skull was dragged to a coyote den? How do we know it wasn't a scrap dum that the coyote got and the head shot was a finishing shot. We don't but sure is easy to paint the worse case picture. Personally I will shoot at a hoof if that is all I have to shot at on a wounded deer. SO for me if the head shot was what the wounded deer gave me I would take it every time.

A friend of mine shot a bull elk with his bow in New Mexico a few years back. The bull acted normal, appeared healthy, and came in to a cow call.

While he was caping his elk, he found a broken arrow shaft in the snout...

The arrow had hit the elk right in the nostril, head on. The broadhead was imbedded in a sinus cavity,with a few inches of shaft still attached. It was not a fresh wound..It had healed over, and the bull seemed no worse for the wear.

He must have had a SORE NOSE for awhile, though.

Well i am definately assuming.... but the local boys that hunt around my area always make me think the worst... a few years back i had a gut shot doe come hobblin by my stand ( no doe tag for where i was) and i had to let her pass, she laid down, i immediately hot out of the stand and went door to door looking for leads on who shot her, turns out my neighbors friend shot her, saw the blood, knew it was a gut shot and decided to get upset and go home instead of track/recover. She had only gone >200 yrds. So i told him to come finish what he started... so he did, then jokes about putting the wrong area dmp tag on it.... needless to say i was not happy. Sooo, besides the excessive alcohol consumption while hunting and this plus many other storys, i assume the worst. But, it could have been a kill shot who knows.... either way it was an interesting find to say the least!

It could have been a deflected arrow...I took a shot on a 8pt years ago...just watched him rub a sapling in two...broad side...15yrds...I shot and with disbelief watched my arrow take a hard rt. and hit no where near the deer 20 yrds out in front of him...he ducked a bit then just stood there looking my way..it was a twig and not a very big one either...I couldn't believe it...

another time I shot and the deer ducked and swirled away from shot....but managed to hit the fletching..turning the arrow and I watched as the deer and arrow were traveling side by side...Just for a second...and I stood there trying to figure how the heck that happened....Strange things can some times happen at a shot......

The way it looks it came straight into the eye leads me to believe the deer was looking at the shooter be it broadside or straight on. I've heard tale of many hunters accidently hitting deer in the head or missing all together near the head because they are focusing on the antlers not the shot and pull the arrow that way.