Baiting Coyotes

Ok guys I have way too many coyotes on my property and in addition to calling and trapping.  I would also like to add baiting to my arsenal of predator hunting techniques.  Now I understand that the basics will still apply as any other hunting getting the wind right and so on and so forth.  What I am inquiring to anyone willing to share is about the baiting process and distance from the stand to the bait.  Should I put the bait in a funnel shape of logs like you would for bear to corral them to a good shooting lane?  How often should I check the bait? Should the bait be secured? I hear coyotes won't come around if they know there is humans around.  I'm going to be using my trail camera to get an approximate dinner time for the dogs and set up accordingly. 

Thanks in Adavance for any help

CNY

Hello,

Deer work really well.When you see a deer on the side of the road,have the police tag it so you can take it. Then tie the deer's back legs with something strong,like metal wire. The yote's will try to drag the deer off to there liking. If you can get high in a tree and wait,then your good to go. Watch the smell,of course..Enjoy your pictures,You will see many animals..Marty

For more info: Visit "barkatthemoon".com its a coyote web site based out of rochester,ny..great info and a bunch of nice guys..if you have any problems,let me know....

A guy in Groveland said he left his name and number with local farmers . He asked them to call him when they had a stillborn calf and he would pick it up . He said he would place it in a spot in an open field and stake it down with some fencing so the yotes wouldn't drag them off . He said it was a pretty productive way to get them to come in .

Coyotes will eat stuff that smells so bad it would make you gag !

A guy in Groveland said he left his name and number with local farmers . He asked them to call him when they had a stillborn calf and he would pick it up . He said he would place it in a spot in an open field and stake it down with some fencing so the yotes wouldn't drag them off . He said it was a pretty productive way to get them to come in .

Coyotes will eat stuff that smells so bad it would make you gag !

Ever had Thai food :'( ?

I was told by a someone who hunts near livestock that the afterbirth from the cows drive the yotes' crazy! From what I understand coyotes will eat anything from carrion to citrus fruits(leaves a pretty wide array of choices). I joined the Bark At The Moon forums last year and 1 tip I picked up was to freeze bait in a 5 gallon pail. Some people were using coon carcasses. They were mostly doing it during the winter when the "baitcicle" wouldn't melt so fast. They'd wait til' the bait was getting hit(sometimes a week or two) then hunt over it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do hunt coyotes over bait.  But, I have a question for you.  If the coyotes are a problem and you want the m gone.  Why bait them and attract them to your property?

I don't think baiting them will bring too many more in, like I said theres a lot on my land as there is and they are thought to be realtivley terratorial like wolves.  I'm sure there are areas where a yote's home range overlaps with another since yote's can have up to a 10 mile home range.  However in the off chance that it does attract more yote's it will just mean more for the killing.  The reason I want to bait them is that we will also be hunting them with calls so I want to be able to switch things up and keep the yotes guessing so they don't pattern me lol. My neighbor will also be trapping them so hopefully in conjunction with all of these things we will be able to take a few of them out.  I took one out opening morning of southern zone, so slowly we're chipping away at them untill deer season closes then we will be going at them full force. 

CNY

post-938-131455387565_thumb.jpg

You know I've thought about that, but when I shot a doe with a bow I went back to the same stand and hunted over the gut pile with the intentions of shooting a yote with my bow or a big buck if he happend by  ;) .  However, when I got to my stand (I still hunted to the pile/stand in case there were 'yotes already there) I kicked 5-6 hawks off the pile and sat the rest of the night only to see 2 more hawks come and feed on the pile.  The next day I went back to check on the pile and it was pretty much gone and there were no canine tracks of any kind in the area.  I thought (and I assuming so you did too) that every gut pile goes right to the yotes, but just goes to show ya that when you think you got it all figured out.....you DON'T lol

So in short to answer your question I have no idea if it would make a difference or not.  Like I said previously Coyotes can have up to a 10 mile range so I think they just do thier loop like they always do and if they happen to be around when you shoot a deer kiss the guts goodbye if not it might sit there for a week untill they make it back through on thier rounds (that is if the birds don't get to them first).

CNY

Of the seven deer killed on my property this year, two were removed prior to being gutted. One gut pile was removed in a garbage bag.

Three gut piles disappeared over night (loads of dog tracks) the damn cayotes came running in to one shot before the hunter came down from the tree. One slowly consummed over a week (no dog tracks).

I'm seriously thinking about requireing all gut pile to be removed by the hunters or have them remove the deer prior to gutting next year.

Of the seven deer killed on my property this year, two were removed prior to being gutted. One gut pile was removed in a garbage bag.

Three gut piles disappeared over night (loads of dog tracks) the damn cayotes came running in to one shot before the hunter came down from the tree. One slowly consummed over a week (no dog tracks).

I'm seriously thinking about requireing all gut pile to be removed by the hunters or have them remove the deer prior to gutting next year.

What would you do with them?

I took the bagged gut pile along with the rest of my trash to the dump. I would expect other hunters to handle the gut pile much the same way the handle the rib cage etc. after butchering. If the decide to leave it out in their back yard to be scavaged, that's up to them. 

I've seen coyotes hit a deer carcass the day it was shot. And I have seen a deer carcass lay for several weeks before getting hit. Regardless baiting yotes can be touch and go to say the least. And if they wind you near a bait,or catch your scent around it. They will either hit it at night. Or they won't come near it at all. I use to underestimate them as being relentless eating and killing machines. Ring the bell and they come runnin. They are actually very intelligent,and remember sounds and smells like the dog at home.They remember when we screw up on them. Some days or nights ,they can be tough. And other times they come in fast. Good luck this season.

i put the remnants of the last deer we boned out down in front of my box blind.Rib cage and neck and all the other parts that were just stuff we didn't bother with.It is the exact same spot we gutted it.The gut pile was gone the next morning.Tons of yote tracks.The bones are still there untouched.Now there is still plenty of fat and meat there for them.They just don't want anything with it yet.Been two weeks too.They are in the area too.I have heard them.

• 2 weeks later...