and you thought Primo's invented the "can"

Nomad

I don't like the big cans...they actually are more of an alert call.

The small and medium (regular) size ones are better imo. I forget who, but someone videoed why the large can was no good.

Tip it fast and in shorter bursts, rather than one drawn out bleat/bawl.

I've killed a couple young bucks after seeing them out in fields and using the can. heads went right up and they showed up right at my tree. I don't blind call and frankly don't think I know enough about them. Often the best thing I can do is leave them home .

ok, speaking of the can...... I have the big can..... do they really work? If they do, what in the sam heck am i doing wrong?

i actually had 3 doe bedded down 30 yards from me. must have snuck in while it was dark. and one rip on the can and one doe blew and they freaked. they came back, but i've always been leary of any calls unless it's your last resort.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you guys can keep those cans. In fact if you want one for free you can find one smashed against a tree as far as I could throw it from my stand tonight lol. Last year I had 2 different bucks out of range and hit that can with a couple short burst and watched in disbelief as they took off on a dead run. Tonight I had my best buck ever come in to 40 yards and kept looking behind him. Paused and looked back the whole time I first seen him. He stops with no shot quartering towards me and looks back again. Turns around and walks back the way he came the whole time he is calm, browsing and doing the happy tail dance. I grunt at him, stops gives an old tail wag and starts heading away again. Now he is a good 80 yards away. I tip that stupid can and that buck takes off on a dead run never to be seen again. Now heres the killer part. I get back to camp and my brother who was hunting a differnt area a good 1000 yards or better away had a 6pt he was trying to get turned and head his way. Said he ways a good 100 yds away and he hits that stupid can he has and the deer took off on a dead run the way he came. Never again will either one of us use or buy one of those damn things again. 4 bucks in 2 years reacted in same way.

ya send them my way, I wouldnt think about using them :devil: I have really good luck in the early season with calls, I do alot of blind calling and get real good reactions from deer, Then there is a small period just before the chase phase that i cant get a deer to respond to anything, They will acknowledge my call but then walk straight away, The night i shot my buck this year i tipped the can 3 times and my buck came to me on a string, I think i will always use one.

I have had bucks come in to it too, but seeing bucks run from it like I have its not a call I will carry or ever use again. Especially when it was a buck of the caliber yesterday. You guys are more than welcome to keep them. My thinking is we probably have some other hunter in the area walking around the woods tipping bleat cans thinking he is a savy deer hunter all the while educating them. Thats all the camp don the road from us does is (sort of) still hunt. More like wildly tromping through the woods with a bow.

Edited by wdswtr

i tried all the smaller cans the big can works the best the sound reaches out farther ive had deer run 200 yards right to my tree as with all calls they work when they work thats it if you give up on them you will not se what can hapen when all things come together i dont leave home for a hunt without mine and my tru talker