avoiding condensation

virgil

A couple of seasons ago, I blew an opportunity at a buck because my pellets had gotten soggy and the gun didn't fire. I had left the gun loaded and stored in my garage for a few weeks. I'm assuming the issue was condensation due to the temperature changes over the course of the few weeks. I want to avoid the same problem again but don't want to deal with firing off a shot at the end of each day or taking out the breach plug and pushing the bullet through if I don't have to. My question is- how does everyone else handle this issue? Do you just fire the shot at the end of the day and reload the next day? Do you remove the bullet manually? Or, should I just store the gun overnight in the truck?

I have left my Loose powder in my muzzeloader all season from the start of northern muzzle to the end of southern muzzle. when its warm out its ok to bring it in.. as it gets cooler leave it in the garage never had a problem getting damp or not going off when the time came

• Like 1

As long as I leave mine in the cold, no problem. I do unload-reload weekly, just to make sure. I'm having trouble with yearly storage. Barrel always rusty, and I don't use soapy water to clean. I've used every oil to no avail, still a rusty barrel.

For yearly storage, though I don't have a problem, T/C makes a product called Bore Butter that's supposed to do a real good job on preventing rust. Are your other firearms rusty or is it just the muzzle loader? I have a golden rod heater that stays on 24 hrs a day 365 that heats the safe as to control humidity.

Edited by jr.deerslayer

avoid bore butter, it actually helps rust a barrel. Sounds more to lie like you are not getting it totally clean. Try soapy water and a dry rag and oil after. Also I usually run a patch with oil on it in my barrels about once every month or so year round.

Ive never had a problem with this with my T/C Triumph. I leave the powder and bullet in the gun and throw it back in the gun cabinet after every hunt. Only time I ever push the load out of the gun is if I have been hunting all day in a heavy rain or snow. And I still have never noticed the powder ever being wet or even damp.

My CVA Wolf had condensation issues last season, and I left it in the garage overnight. It was with 777 pellets, and I had a very underwhelming discharge....lol. I think the doe laughed at me and walked off.

This is exactly what happened to me.

Mine was a small buck at about 40 yards. It was my last hunting day of that season. At first, I was gonna pass on him because he was a small 6pt. Then, I reminded myself of all the trips I had made upstate without taking a deer and decided to take the shot. Just a sad 'pfffft' sound, a puff of smoke, and the bullet landing in the snow about 3 ft from my tree. I was pretty bummed. Not something I want to repeat, especially since I'm still looking for my first deer with the ML.

i use 777 pellets and they're nasty stuff. i don't leave it in the barrel for more than a couple consistant temp days that are dry. i also tape the end of the barrel when hunting. i didn't clean it for a few days after i shot it and it rusted a little around the crud ring location. i also got a little around the receiver. i managed to get it under control. basically tried all kinds of stuff for storage and nothing keep it from rusting. bore butter did though. that's what i use now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm eating my above words. Had, a problem yesterday afternoon, and it cost me a deer. Just loaded the gun the night before. Still using the 50-50 pellets which are brand new. Wanted to switch to BH 209, but the rest of the family is sold on the pellets. TC 250 gr bullet. Pulled the trigger, heard the primer fire, than second later, gun fired. Shot it today, shes right on at 125, with no problems. Don't know the reason for problem, but sure is frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
As long as I leave mine in the cold, no problem. I do unload-reload weekly, just to make sure. I'm having trouble with yearly storage. Barrel always rusty, and I don't use soapy water to clean. I've used every oil to no avail, still a rusty barrel.

Sounds like you clean it after hunting season and don't get it back out til next year. Take it out every couple months and poke some holes in something. It keeps you in practice (shooting and reloading for a follow up shot) and forces you to do maintenance on your weapons.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2