The Deer Rifle

Doc

has anyone heard or have any reviews on that TC dimension rifle? i keep seeing it on outdoor channel

The reason you see it on the Outdoor Channel is they pay millions to advertise it, just like they did with their muzzle loaders. They'll put those rifles in any yahoo's hands that will take them and make a crappy show at the same time.

Doc, here goes the ones easy to clean worst to easy, Semi auto,Lever action,bolt action,Brake action as in Ruger #1,Tompson Center Encore,or other brake action rifles And Hand guns.And Shotguns.At an age where you are going to buy Your Last Rifle.Go for something easy to brake down and clean is what you would want.,At your age and older (and it is a fact) You and I are not going to shoot as well as when we were 20 years old.So going for the most accurate rifle and caliber does not mean Squat.As it would for a 20,30 0r 40 year old.I still say the Brake action type rifle would be the way to go and you can change calibers,just by removing the for end stock and replacing one Barrel for another.Anything from .17 caliber to 50 caliber.

Plenty to digest in this gem............

Couldn't be more wrong the ballistic coefficient is as high in a 243 95 gr Nosler as it is for a 30-06 150 gr Nosler. You can check it out yourself. Listen you can shoot what you want, the facts and the venison speak for themselves. I've dressed too many deer to count shot by 243 in the vitals. The lungs turn into soup. As far as kids shooting it due to recoil,.... I'm 43, 6' tall and way 200 pounds. I'm hardly recoil shy..... I have everything from 300 Wby Mag to 22/250 in my safe. The fact is, I'd take a 243 to the deer woods as fast as I'd take a 30-06.

Yeah, you're right, we can shoot what we want, but most people who look to buy a genuine deer rifle, that will get the job in the various situations that might arise will buy something more potent than the .243. I can guarantee you that if a poll was conducted on what caliber people would recommend for deer, the .243 would not be at the top of the list. Maybe someone should start a poll.

Steve why do like the 308 so much? 270 is flatter shooting and equal punch. Also you call a 223 the bottom of the barrel but I think you forgot about handguns during rifle season that have less than half the velocity of a 223 but people use religiously. The best deer wounding rifle I've ever seen is the 30/30. At least its a little better with new ammo. Have you ever tried a 223 on a deer? I think you would be impressed and it might change your mind. I use to use a single shot contender in 223 and never had any problems with it. As for the military use of the 223 they are using full metal jackets that just punch pinsholes through people. If you read books about vietnam snipers they had the same problem with the 308

I have used the .270 almost exclusively for close to 30 years and have killed over 50 deer and various other game with it. Would be an absolute great choice for anyone, but I still say that the .308 is a better overall caliber for hunting deer in the northeast. You can get a shorter action, shorter gun with a .308 and there isn't ONE deer that I killed with my .270 that wouldn't have been just as dead with a .308. I surely can't say the same for the .223 or a .243. I have a .22-250 which is the .223's bigger brother and would never dream of hunting deer with that piddly little bullet.

Like many have said, good idea to get a gun with a little more knock-down than .243. A .270, .308, or 30-06 (personal favorite) is fine, and ammo is easy to find if you don't reload.

I'd get something in bolt action, I've found Remington rifles to be the most accurate, unless you want to spend for a Sako. For a scope, I'd go with 3X9 or a fixed 4X, Bushnell is good if you're on a budget, or Leupold if you can afford it.

I have used the .270 almost exclusively for close to 30 years and have killed over 50 deer and various other game with it. Would be an absolute great choice for anyone, but I still say that the .308 is a better overall caliber for hunting deer in the northeast. You can get a shorter action, shorter gun with a .308 and there isn't ONE deer that I killed with my .270 that wouldn't have been just as dead with a .308. I surely can't say the same for the .223 or a .243. I have a .22-250 which is the .223's bigger brother and would never dream of hunting deer with that piddly little bullet.

So you admit to making statements without having absolutely no experience hunting with this caliber to actually know. I rest my case. 308 definately works just as well as a 270 I'm just saying that a 270 shoots flatter so don't have to worry bullet drop as much. But there isn't a deer that I have killed with my 270, 308, 12 gauge that my 223 wouldnt have killed. The only caliber that I would complain about is a 30/30.

So you admit to making statements without having absolutely no experience hunting with this caliber to actually know. I rest my case. 308 definately works just as well as a 270 I'm just saying that a 270 shoots flatter so don't have to worry bullet drop as much. But there isn't a deer that I have killed with my 270, 308, 12 gauge that my 223 wouldnt have killed. The only caliber that I would complain about is a 30/30.

It amy be the case in the shots you have taken in your life but I do not agree with your statement in general. I wouldn't hesitate taking a quartering to shot right through the shoulder with the 270 or the 308...or my 12 guage for that mater. I wouldn't try it with my 223 though. I certainly wouldnt try it on a bear. As in DOc's posts he already has a 223 for varmits so I expect he isn't looking for another.

And like any round. the 30/30 is a great round inside it's limits. If it is so sub standard then most modest handgun cartriges should probably be shelved as well.

So what is it about the 30-30 that makes it so inferior ?

It has accounted for tons of venison over the years, as have many calibers with similar ballistics, like the .32 Win special, the .25, .30 and 32 Remington, the 25-35 Win. the .44 Magnum, lesser rounds like the .38-40 and 44-40...

They all kill deer well with good shot placement, as does the .223, .270 Win, .308 or whatever.

• Like 1

I'm only speaking from my own experience

I know you were...as was I

But one thing that is not based on personal experience it ballistics. That is science and math. Ballistically the 223 in inferior to the 30/30 in the categories that count (aside from bullet drop). It is all about energy and the 223 doesn't stack up compared to the cartrige you don't like.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

The reason I don't like the 30/30 is because of my experience with it. I shot a doe broadside at a 100 yards. She looks like she gets hit but starts running towards me about 45 yards away she turn stopped quatering towards me and I fired again. This time she went down but her head was still up looking so I plugged her again. I thought perhaps I had missed her the first time and was far back with my next shot I was shocked to see my first shot hit here perfect and my second shot did as well the bullets just mushroomed and barely penetrated. The following year about 50 yard slight quatering away I hit a doe in the chest and she runs a bit and drops but still alive I walked up she started to get up to run so I plugged her again. After that I never hunted with a 30/30 again. I know some people swear by them but after that I called it quits and sold the gun. I have never seen any deer react like that to any other caliber mind you the only other calibers I aved used are 270, 308, 223, and 12 gauge

when i was a kid a family up the road hunted with 22 caliber rifles and killed more deer than most of the posters here combined .This was late 50s in catskills now i am not condoning this practice just stating what i saw and heard and bullet placement was what killed these deer no KNOCKDOWN POWER no matter what you shoot accuracy is what counts ! you can debate all night and day about energy and downrange ballistics but in the end it is accuracy of shot placement that kills deer ...

Well knockdown power is a factor but will never replace accurate shooting. My first doe had been hit with a bad shot from a 300 mag and I dropped her with a 223 and theres no arguing that the 300 mag is a monster but a bad shot is a bad shot with any caliber. The thing is when discussing velocity, and ballistics people often forget that range is a huge factor on how the bullet will react. I've had my 270 explode on impact on closer shots where when I shot something a little further out it punched right through.

when i was a kid a family up the road hunted with 22 caliber rifles and killed more deer than most of the posters here combined .This was late 50s in catskills now i am not condoning this practice just stating what i saw and heard and bullet placement was what killed these deer no KNOCKDOWN POWER no matter what you shoot accuracy is what counts ! you can debate all night and day about energy and downrange ballistics but in the end it is accuracy of shot placement that kills deer ...

that's quite a statement, my grandfather and his family hunted in Maine for years using buckshot and probably killed more deer than those people saw , but still wouldn't recommend it to anyone as the optimum deer weapon.

• Like 1

I thought back then a rifle had to be 25 caliber or larger for deer in NY. If it is all about placement and energy don't matter...why not just carry one of those 17 caliber center fires?

. The thing is when discussing velocity, and ballistics people often forget that range is a huge factor on how the bullet will react. I've had my 270 explode on impact on closer shots where when I shot something a little further out it punched right through.

That is bullet selection for the ranges you will be hunting.

Where I hunt with a rifle range could be anywhere from 10 yard to 300 yards it depends where the deer decide to come out that day

I have never had that problem with the Sierra Game kings. Out of the 270 and the 30-06 I have shot them from 10 to 250.THey have worked well for me on bear and Caribou. What bullet blew up at close range on you?

the family i refered to shot deer for food out of season in season it didnt matter to them . you can debate all you want .oh ! and i shoot a 348 cal 200 grain silvertip because it was my dads favorite gun and mine. Sentimental reasons...

And that 348 with that bullet would handle a hard quartering to shot with ease and anchor tthe deer. It has ballistics that will allow penetration to the vitals even through a shoulder bone. That was my point. A 223 will not have as easy of a time pulling that shot off. I bullet may not make it into the vitals with ranges over 100 yards. This thread is about a hunter getting ONE deer rifle. Inside of his parameters a 223 does not fit. (and he already has one of those)

22's can kill deer. But i think we are doing a disservice if we are selling them as anything over a marginal deer caliber.

The .243 IS the perfect deer gun. Low recoil, accurate, flat shooter. I'd take ANY shot with the 243 that I'd take with an <insert unnecessarily overpowered caliber here>. You really think a 243 can't fully penetrate a deer? Give me a break. You guys keep using your <insert unnecessarily overpowered caliber here> and I'll keep using my 243. I'll kill as many or more than you will.

I've seen TWO deer shot at with a 243, 55 grain VARMINT bullet. BOTH were DRT. Granted one was a head shot, but the other was a high shoulder shot. Would I recommend that bullet or those shots? Hell no, but the fact that a VARMINT bullet out of a 243 can do that tells me that a deer bulletin out of a 243 will have no issue whatsoever.

What exactly do you people think these deer are made out of? Have you not seen what an arrow does to them? It's ok to hunt them with a bow but a 243 is underpowered? What are you guys smoking?

I honestly don't mind that you're shooting them with an <insert unnecessarily overpowered caliber here>, but don't sit there and tell me that the 243 is lacking something when it comes to deer hunting. Actually, go ahead and say it all you want, I K N O W better.

Why do I bother? Clearly the marketing departments for the <insert unnecessarily overpowered caliber here> is way better than I am. They sure have you guys eating out of their hands!!

Zhe Wiz

• Like 1

Zhe Wiz, I think people hunt with as you put it "<insert unnecessarily overpowered caliber here> for several reasons.

1.)Thats whats everyone else is using

2.)Bigger is better

3.)Never used anything smaller, unaware how well they work

4.)One gun for everything from woodchucks to moose

5.)Over compensating, for poor shooting(get you mind out of the gutter)

6.)Parroting what others say

7.)They lack experience

• Like 1