The Deer Rifle

Doc

Doc, I hope you noted that I was the first on this thread to actually recommend the Ruger American.

Now, if I could only convince you of a few other things??? LOL

Well by golly, you do get things right once in a while ..... eh? :D What's that saying about blind squirrels and acorns....lol. Anyway, it was a hell of a good choice. Thanks for getting me looking in that direction.

Holy mackerel, Doc !!

That is a fine group !! If you want to try to improve it, that is up to you, but WHY...?? I wish ALL my rifles grouped that well...

Any load development you do now is acedemic...Have all the fun you want, but you sure don't need anything better than that for a hunting load.

Holy mackerel, Doc !!

That is a fine group !! If you want to try to improve it, that is up to you, but WHY...?? I wish ALL my rifles grouped that well...

Any load development you do now is acedemic...Have all the fun you want, but you sure don't need anything better than that for a hunting load.

It's just something that I have to do ... lol. For me, I guess I won't be satisfied until they are all going into the same hole. It's a sickness. It's all about finding the absolute limits of the gun, the bullet, and myself. If I had enough money (And a place to do it), I would probably be one of these long distance shooter guys too. Man, that would be fun. But anyway there is always the fun of trying to achieve perfection.

• Like 2

That is nice shooting Doc. I have a couple questions for you. Is that with the factory trigger pull? I have noticed a lot of new guns from various companies seem to be making the trigger pull harder which hurts a lot of people in the accuracy department. And, are you going to try dropping down to 130 gr. bullets? I started with 150 gr. with my .270 and had nice groups, but when I tried the 130's, they tightened up even more. May be just simply what my rifle prefers, but I always like to hear from others on different loads.

Glad to see your trying out your new gun. So after a few rounds, how you feel about the recoil, or to soon to really tell.

There is very little recoil. I could shoot this for a long time ..... which was one of the criteria. I tried my son's .270 before I bought this one, so I knew a bit about what to expect. His seemed a little less, and I think that might have been because it is a semi-auto. But I'm sure I could shoot mine all day without recoil being a concern. One indicator is that I can lay it on the bags and fire it without hanging on to the fore-end. I usually can't get away with that with the 12 guage although I have done it (that was scarey). The 12 guage really wants to take off .... ha-ha. When you don't grab the front end, it lays there just as steady as can be.

It's just something that I have to do ... lol. For me, I guess I won't be satisfied until they are all going into the same hole. It's a sickness. It's all about finding the absolute limits of the gun, the bullet, and myself. If I had enough money (And a place to do it), I would probably be one of these long distance shooter guys too. Man, that would be fun. But anyway there is always the fun of trying to achieve perfection.

I agree that trying different loads, etc. to improve performance is a big part of the fun of handloading. However, keep in mind that these are hunting rifles, not benchrest rifles. I have never owned a rifle that was a one holer at 100 yards. I have a couple that group under an inch, and I consider that very good.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

That said, nearly all of the .270s I have shot have been VERY accurate. The one exception is a Win M70 Featherweight that belongs to a friend of mine..I worked with many different combinations of components, seating depth, yada, yada and the best I could get that rifle to shoot day in and day out was about a 2" group. Still, that is acceptable hunting accuracy. he kills deer with it every year.

I agree that trying different loads, etc. to improve performance is a big part of the fun of handloading. However, keep in mind that these are hunting rifles, not benchrest rifles. I have never owned a rifle that was a one holer at 100 yards. I have a couple that group under an inch, and I consider that very good.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

That said, nearly all of the .270s I have shot have been VERY accurate. The one exception is a Win M70 Featherweight that belongs to a friend of mine..I worked with many different combinations of components, seating depth, yada, yada and the best I could get that rifle to shoot day in and day out was about a 2" group. Still, that is acceptable hunting accuracy. he kills deer with it every year.

Yeah, I have no idea whether I can improve or not, but I have to try. Remember, this is only the first group that I have ever shot out of this gun, and that was only 9 rounds. I have no idea what the thing is capable of. But I'm going to find out.

Been a while since you started the thread, but just the same....

I have been shooting the .308 for about 20 years, and can see nothing new out there that offers any improvements. It is the modernized version of the '06. Ballistics throught 180 grain bullet are almost nonexistent in comparison with the 270 or '06, but it comes in a short action. In over 40 kills with it, i have never needed a 2nd shot. It is ample for moose, bear or what have you with the right bullet and placement, and has minimal recoil. As I remember, the .243 case is based on it. Sure, some new wonder rounds tout to be flatter shooting or more energy, but so what? Our average distances in NY make that a moot point. A long shot for me is a very rare 200 yards (for several years I was trying to prove something to myself, and was picking off my doe tags at a measured 195 yards, base of the skull shots. Piece of cake). Ruger is now making their American Rifle, which has been getting fantastic reviews, in .308, for a listed 400.00. Now post season, I would think you could do a very good deal on one, and a fine scope for well under 800.00.

Ain't no flies on the .308. The case has been the basis for several fine and successful chamberings, such as the .243, .260 rem, 7mm08, .358 Win and others.

With bullets up to 165 grains, there isn't enough difference in performance between the .308 and the 30-06 to sneeze at. Only when you get to 180 bullets or heavier does the 30-06's extra powder capacity give a significant advantage.

Within 300 yards or so,which is farther than many of us shoot, you could use a .270, .308, 30-06 or any one of a dozen other chamberings and never see any difference in ability to hit the target or the performance on game.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Remington 700BDL 30/06 and a Leupold variable scope.. With the range of bullet loads with the 06 you can take anything in the lower 48 with this caliber, and its not that hard on your shoulder. Get it with a synthetic stock and it comes with a shoulder pad.

• 3 months later...

Well, since you mentioned the 243 as being the range you're looking for as far as recoil, i would reccommend 2 other short chambers that are chambered in the same case. The 308 and the 7mm-08. The 308 has been tested for decades and proven to be a great deer round. I personally own a 7mm-08. I baught it for my father years ago after he had open heart sergery and wanted a lighter recoiled rifle. Check out the ballistics on these rounds. very impressive to say the least.

The difference between the 2, both of course have more then enough energy, or knockdown power to kill deer out to 400 yards. The 308 is a little heavier then the 7mm-08. So it will do a little more damage but the 7 mm-08 is a little faster and flatter shooting.

I know you would love either one if you chose to get one of these.

Well, since you mentioned the 243 as being the range you're looking for as far as recoil, i would reccommend 2 other short chambers that are chambered in the same case. The 308 and the 7mm-08. The 308 has been tested for decades and proven to be a great deer round. I personally own a 7mm-08. I baught it for my father years ago after he had open heart sergery and wanted a lighter recoiled rifle. Check out the ballistics on these rounds. very impressive to say the least.

The difference between the 2, both of course have more then enough energy, or knockdown power to kill deer out to 400 yards. The 308 is a little heavier then the 7mm-08. So it will do a little more damage but the 7 mm-08 is a little faster and flatter shooting.

I know you would love either one if you chose to get one of these.

How about a 260 Remington. Seems like that might could kill a deer too?

You could almost say its in the middle between a 243 & 7mm-08. (Cause it is). Grin....

I haven't had a chance to shoot the new Ruger American, but I've heard great things about the rifle.  I'm thinking of buying one for myself.

The crappy winter weather has not allowed me to log many hours with the new gun, but the limited time that I have spent with it convinces me that it's a "tack-driver". They seem to be very quality oriented. I'm happy as hell with it. With better weather coming in, I'll be on the hill at my range checking it out further. I just have to be sure to go easy on my ammo and component supplies and make sure that I don't burn it all up. Still don't see when or where any replacement reloading components are going to come from.

Two years ago I bought a custom .257 Roberts.  700 Remington Action, Mcmillon Stock, Zeiss Scope, Custom Barrel.

Needless to say, I haven't picked up any other gun since then.  Harvested a half a dozen deer.  Super fast bullet, low recoil, accurate as S**T.  Great varmint gun as well when you're not after big game.

I also use a .270 but the Roberts has been the gun of choice.  Really a dream to shoot.

Good Luck!

Good to hear you're happy with the Ruger 270 Doc.  Congrats on getting one that shoots.  I'm a little late but 270 is a right choice.  Other recommendation i'd make is a 30-06 but use light recoil loads.  they're basically a 30-30 and good out to 200 yards.  then if you go hunt anything bigger you can load it with regular 30-06 rounds.  both are easy to get, even now.  Bolt action was a good choice too.

I have heard nothing but good about the Ruger American. They are suppose to be very accurate. Three lug bolt, floated barrel, bedding blocks...I bet you will be able to put them right on top of each other. Good luck.

• 5 months later...

I have had many rifles in many different calibers threw the years,factory stock, custom bench rest , custom hunting + every top brand scope out there,The ones that were the most accurate factory rifles were the ones made by Sturm Ruger,there bolt action.Had them in 22,22 mag.,243,and .308 every one placed shots inside of a Quater at 100 yards.Just a good cleaning before and after using and wiped down with.Hoppies gun oil inside and out. 

My son uses a Ruger M77 in .243 and is 2 bullets and 2 deer, Rem Core-Lokt 100 gr. One dropped in it's tracks at 135 yards and the other was shot close up and ran about 30 yards.. Flat, fast and easy on the shoulder. Great gun. I shot a doe with it at 475 yards on a bet. Held 2 ft high and right through both lungs. Ran about 30 yards.

Doc if you ever have questions on the ruger pm me & I will get the answers for you if I don't know them like I said before I have family & friends that work there & they are only 15 mins away

Thanks for the offer. So far the gun is about as perfect weapon as I have ever shot.

I've shot the bigger stuff forever. I have to tell you guys with over 70 or 80 deer done for.... three things on whiteys that matter the most when it comes to deer rifles:

1- shot placement

2- shot placement

3- shot placement

That said in my late middle age years, I'm done with long sessions at the range pounding my shoulder with harder recoil calibers. I'm now a dyed in the wool fan of the 243 Win. I have one in a Savage 14. The gun is a shooter - super acurate, light to carry and really supurbly made. I load it myself with a max charge of Varget and either 100 gr Gamekings or Interlocks. They both print the same for me at 100 yds. If I was shooting commercial (asssuming there was any to be had) I'd probaby try the Hornady American Whitetail (I think that's the name). At least then you're getting a well constructed bullet.

I also think for all of its virtues, the 243 does better as a longer distance rifle and I use it when I'm stand hunting mostly. Our ladders do well setting up 80 to 120 yd shots. For drives, I still prefer the 35 Rem in the Marlin 336. Reason being, it's fast handeling, comes up to my shoulder quickly, carrys plenty of mail to get the attention of a big deer on the move. The kind that don't move from cover until you're practically steping over them. It's a small rifle and good in tight cover which is what I like when I jump a deer on a drive. I also use varget in that with a 200 gr Hornady. It give me a 1.5" at 100 yds. The heavy round nose bullet is a pile driver round. Three years ago on a drive a deer winded the post shooter and ran back towards the drivers.. At 35 yds I hit him through the neck headon. I found the bullet completely musroomed under his hide on his hip. The bullet ssmashed things in his chest outside of the wound channel. It took two leaps after I fired and flopped over. The kind of shot where his eyes say TILT.

If I was gonna hunt whitetail forever in NY, I'd be fine with just those two rifles (don't tell my wife that). The recoil in both is milder than an 06 or a 270, and way softer than big cousin 300's. Back to shot placement. I've seen disasters happen at 20 yards with 500 S&W's becuase of bad placement. I once saw a deer run past my stand with its guts hanging out from an idiot who missed on the land behind us. He uses a 300 WSM. He aditted he didn't have a shot when he touched off the round. You can't fix stupid I guess.

Bottom line get a quality rifle that you can afford, with descent glass and practice shooting it a lot. Be really comfortable with your choice. Only take high percentage shots and you'll put deer on the dirt everytime. Okay, I'm done.

Edited by eagle rider
  • Like 1