The Deer Rifle

Doc

.308 would be my choice also

it is what I Purchased for my 14 year old daughter & I fell in love with it

I was shooting a .270 the issue with .270 is you never know the recoil with them my first .270 M77 wood stock would feel like my shoulder was going to blow off my .270 M77 allweather is about half the weight & recoil doesn't feel half as bad

look at the Ruger American. GREAT GUN for the price

I will be using it now more then my .270

.308 would be my choice also

it is what I Purchased for my 14 year old daughter & I fell in love with it

I was shooting a .270 the issue with .270 is you never know the recoil with them my first .270 M77 wood stock would feel like my shoulder was going to blow off my .270 M77 allweather is about half the weight & recoil doesn't feel half as bad

look at the Ruger American. GREAT GUN for the price

I will be using it now more then my .270

Yeah, those woodstocked Ruger M77s have a reputation as hard kickers. I had one in .338 Win mag and it kicked the snot out of me on the bench.

A buddy of mine had one in 7Mm Rem mag and he always complained about the recoil. Then he peddled the M77 and got a TC Encore in 7mm Mag and claims that it is MUCH more comfortable to shoot than the Ruger.

well I get the Rugers cheap & I do love the way they shoot. I just can't get over the new American & how they can build it here for the price they do & still have a high quality rifle

I haven't handled the Ruger American yet, but I really like what I see from pictures and the design. Has many features that are better than on the M77 and you can get it for a whole lot less. I don't think one can go wrong in getting that gun.

The Encores in a handgun configuration are capable of great groups at some pretty long ranges. Its basically a short rifle minus the stock.

I guess so. I can barely hit an 8x11 piece of paper at 15 yards with my brother's pistols. Do you need a carry permit for these "pistols"?

No excuses for bigger calibers offsetting bad shooting or not making shots with guaranteed vital hits. Don't fall for the negative hype...... 243 Win will put deer on the ground all day long. Especially with today's modern bullets. Check out the Savage Model 14 American Classic. I'm in the process of setting one up. I'm using a new Bushnell Trophy with the DOA Reticle. The rifle and glass will fit your budget.

No excuses for bigger calibers offsetting bad shooting or not making shots with guaranteed vital hits.

Yeah, only if thing were so clear cut in the hunting fields. We hear the same tune from the expert bowhunters here, where they tell people to wait until the deer is within 20 yards, broadside, looking away, etc. yet we heard of plenty of screw-ups this year from them. Deer are considered BIG game and one should use a BIG game rifle to hunt them. Even the freaking military has issues with the piddly .223. We used to WIN wars when we had soldiers firing the .30-06 round from their M-1's. Since the M16 and the .223/5.56 came around we haven't won anything decisively. That alone tells me that if the .223 can't even put humans down, it will have a hard time putting down a deer for keeps in the various situations that one will be presented sooner or later.

I remember a long time ago somebody on this forum or its predecessor came up with a chart on the internet that compared recoil of various calibers out of various guns. I have had no luck locating that chart anywhere. Does anyone know the web location where that might be found? That probably would help with the recoil thing since I am not going to get a chance to test-drive all the different selections.

Deer are considered medium game. That said a 243 to the vitals weather it be in tight cover or across a field is gonna have the same result as a 30-06 or any larger caliber would..... A deer on the ground. The same is true for bad shots,.... Put a 30-06 or a 243 across the hips and you'll have a wounded deer. We talk about hunting and not war on this site......

There is one more consideration that goes into my selection. That is the cost to reload. Over the years, I have burned up a lot of ammo, and have come to realize that handloading cost savings aren't as big as they once were. So since I do spend time on the bench, powder loads and bullet costs are probably something that I should not totally over-look. So just to add a little more difficulty into the choice, if I have two calibers that do an adequate job, it serves no purpose to over-do just for the heck of it. Yeah, now I am getting a bit picky, but I don't intend to ever buy another deer rifle again. Also, I know for a fact that I will not be going on a moose or elk hunt ..... ever again. So "being able to hunt anything in North America" is not a sales point. I also might add that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever take a shot over 150 yards. My deer hunting turf simply is not laid out with those kinds of options. So all that has to be factored in also. It all keeps getting more and more complicated.....lol.

"I also might add that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever take a shot over 150 yards. My deer hunting turf simply is not laid out with those kinds of options"

Just about any rifle and any factory ammo will handle those ranges just fine, it is up to you to decide on what looks good and fits you good. I promise the recoil of a 270, 7-08, 308 won't be an issue for you unless you are the biggest wimp on the face of the planet.

• Like 1

Deer are considered medium game. That said a 243 to the vitals weather it be in tight cover or across a field is gonna have the same result as a 30-06 or any larger caliber would..... A deer on the ground. The same is true for bad shots,.... Put a 30-06 or a 243 across the hips and you'll have a wounded deer. We talk about hunting and not war on this site......

Yeah, one can wound a deer with any caliber, but I will not be convinced that a .24 caliber bullet will slow down a poorly hit deer as quickly as a deer that has had a .30 caliber round sizzle thru it. Eventhough it's better than a .223, I am far from a .243 fan also. In the hands of a really good shot it will surely kill deer. Most of the time it's given to a young hunter, and it leaves little room for error. A round like a 7mm-08 or .308 would be considerably better, yet not have a hell of a lot more recoil. As with the .223, the .243 is at the bottom end of deer capable calibers, thus in my opinion is NOT the ideal choice for someone choosing a rifle specifically for deer.