The Deer Rifle

Doc

Hell no, pound away!

I'm waiting on a range report...........Congrats on the no bang stick.

Pics or it didn't happen. <grin>

Damn! I have to get a cleaning kit for it too. Boy the money just keeps flowing out the door.

Yeah, maybe tomorrow I'll take a couple of pictures. I didn't think about that.

Congrats on the new toy, Doc !

It must have been a big step, since you are a self admitted cheapskate !! <<wink>>...

We'll be looking forward to the range reports.. Do you intend to handload for it ? I do not own a .270, but I load for a couple of my friends that do..I'd gladly pass on any info I have..

So, how did all the discussion about having a centerfire rifle in the woods during a shotgun only season actually come out? My shooting range is in the woods. So do I have to wait until shotgun season is concluded before I can legally shoot the darn thing?

I would.

Congrats on the new toy, Doc !

It must have been a big step, since you are a self admitted cheapskate !! <<wink>>...

We'll be looking forward to the range reports.. Do you intend to handload for it ? I do not own a .270, but I load for a couple of my friends that do..I'd gladly pass on any info I have..

What saved the day was the fact that it wasn't my money that was being used. This was an early Christmas present and Birthday present. Oh geez I don't know if I could have pryed that much money out of my own wallet. That stuff would probably disintegrate if it ever was exposed to air.

I will be loading up a bunch of ammo for it eventually. I haven't gotten out the Hornady books out yet to see what loads I'll be trying. I know it usually takes me a while to experiment with different loads and see just what flies the best (most consistantly) out of each individual gun. I expect there will be an experimental period where I try out different loads for this gun too.

I'm kind of a fair-weather shooter, so I probably won't be doing a lot of shooting until next spring. My 100 yard range is up on top of the hill, and I'll be needing the ATV to lug all the equipment up there. So the snow will have to be mostly gone. Down below here, I have a 50 yard range where I can at least run some factory loads through to get a rough idea of how it shoots.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell no, pound away!

I'm waiting on a range report...........Congrats on the no bang stick.

Pics or it didn't happen. <grin>

I may not be the most prompt guy in the world, but as promised .....

post-11-0-16842600-1354142666_thumb.jpg

Something weird about the camera/lighting .... the gun and scope are not green but black.

• Like 1

a 7mm-08 in remington model 7 or mountain rifle model700 top with a nikon 3*9*40 is all the gun you will ever need for whitetail deer out to 250 to 300 yds. The recoil is that of a 243 and it hits a hard 30-06/308. I have drop many deer with the 7mm-08 and the two models i mention above are light; 6 to 7 pounds. also the savage lite, I thnik it is model 111, is a nice gun too.

• 2 weeks later...

Too late guys. I already bought the Ruger American .270 (see photos in previous reply in this thread). In fact, I am in the process of pricing and sourcing all the reloading equipment and components. Thanks all for the advice.

The bad news is that I have yet to put a single round through it. I am waiting for all these darn deer seasons to get over with. My range is up in the woods behind the house (50 yard range) and up on top the hill (100 yard range), and I don't dare get caught up in the woods with a centerfire .... This year we are still a "shotgun only" area. So I've got a little more than a week before I can get out there and check it out.

Hey Doc.... A friend of mine just got one of these becasue he wanted to be able to adjust and reload while at the range. Pretty neat set up

http://www.midwayusa...-hand-press-kit

Well, you sure can't beat the price. Also, I have found Lee products to be pretty good quality. I'm not sure about dragging along all the materials and components for reloading while I am trying to shoot. But I can understand why he is doing it. On-the-fly evolution of loads while you instantly check the results for verification. Something to think about. I would start out with a supply of pre-sized and pre-primed cases, ready to go. That would cut down on time and baggage.

i think the .270 is a great choice for you Doc because you like to reload. There is a ton of information out there for you and brass is easy to come by. Personally, in the recoil department, I consider the .270 more of a jumper than a puncher, which should fit you as well. Good luck with your new rifle and hope you come up with your best group ever with your own reloads.

doc, if its not to late mossberg is another noone has mentioned. its much cheaper then remington and tc's heres one that i want http://www.mossberg....-combo/27211��i have read some reviews on it.. most people say it feels flimsy in hand but when you shoot it it is very solid, only bad thing i really hear is that it is loud

never mind just read the whole post

Edited by danc0320

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got out and tried my new Christmas present/ birthday present. Here are the quick results of the .270 Ruger American. These are the first 9 shots out of it ....100 yards. 150 gr Hornady SST Boat tail. 50.4 gr of Hodgdens H4350.

post-11-0-84302400-1356121293_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-17230400-1356121329_thumb.jpg

I think with a little more work I can tighten them down a bit more. Not too bad considering I had snow blowing in my face and could hardly feel my fingers from the cold .... lol. I'm pretty happy with it.

Look at some Remington's and Savage's, Ruger American, Weatherby Vanguards, and you will most definitely come in under that total.

Doc, I hope you noted that I was the first on this thread to actually recommend the Ruger American.

Now, if I could only convince you of a few other things??? LOL