Will they still be chasing this weekend?

Sambuca

I am counting down the hours until the regular season starts on Saturday. Do people think the chasing phase will still be hot? In the past I have used some doe estrous pee on wicks for the opener and it didn't seem to do anything. Reading the forum this year, I'm thinking we might be closer to the chasing phase than in the past couple of years, so they might work. What do people think?

So, would you drag or hang an estrous wick this weekend? I am convinced the bucks in my area of 7M are really smart to our tactics. I fear scaring them off with estrous scent past when it is expected. I planned to just stick to minimizing scent when in the woods and relying on good shooting at distances in the field this year. Just trying to figure out if a sexual attractant will be a benefit or a deterrent in the woods?

For saturday i dont think it will hurt you. Without knowing your hunting situation and the hunting around you i would say anything is possiable on opening day. If anything it will calm the deer down around you. Personally through late oct and parts of november i simply spray Buck Bomb on my boots to cover my scent while entering my stand, having the wind in your favor will be the most important thing.

I shot my very first buck the day after Thanksgiving, he chased a doe right around the perimeter of a field and stopped right behind my stand. Boom. If the area is less pressured, you will still see chasing. On pressured property, you will see them running for their lives lol.

That's spot on...I killed my heaviest buck (175 dressed) chasing a doe the day before Thanksgiving. It was on state land, but in an area that gets little pressure, because you have to walk several miles to get there. It about killed me dragging the big SOB out.

I predict that MANY bucks will stop chasing permanantly Saturday...hehehe...

• Like 1

The pressure will be high. My area has many smaller properties/farms under 100Ac, including mine. They are all hunted and there is alot of shooting on opening morning. Hopefully we can intercept one running for its life. Usually by Tuesday the pressure lets up a little. Hopefully we'll still have a hot doe or 2 around then.

Pygmy, I'd like to permanently stop one from chasing myself.

I have owned my 80 Ac for 3 years now. I fill my DMP every year easily. Only me, the wife and 1 friend hunt it for deer and thats usually only 4-5 days each year. We have let yearling spikes and forks walk waiting for something better. We still have not killed a buck. I know they are around from the cam pictures. The DMP provides some meat but by summer thats gone. Been reading all I can and made some adjustments to stands etc. Based on the replies here, I don't think I'll bother with the estrous scent. I'm hoping this will be the year to put a second in the freezer.

Good luck, Sam...Those spikes and forkies make good freezer fillers <grin>...

Nothing wrong with being selective, though, if killing bigger bucks is more important to you than meat.

It's pretty tough to manage for big bucks with only 80 acres UNLESS you have neighbors that play by the same rules.

personally i have yet to see a buck following any doe's here in 8G... i've seen doe's and i've seen bucks, but never together at the same time this past week... lot a scrapes and rubs though... shot a buck last night all by his lonesome just strollin by without a care in the world... and i've got a good spot on state land that requires a little doin and some hip waders to get to so im all by my lonesome back there so pressure isn't the culprit in this case... hopin saturday all the lazy's will push all the deer back in deep to me!

personally i have yet to see a buck following any doe's here in 8G... i've seen doe's and i've seen bucks, but never together at the same time this past week... lot a scrapes and rubs though... shot a buck last night all by his lonesome just strollin by without a care in the world... and i've got a good spot on state land that requires a little doin and some hip waders to get to so im all by my lonesome back there so pressure isn't the culprit in this case... hopin saturday all the lazy's will push all the deer back in deep to me!

State land in 8G are you talking about darien state park?

I am counting down the hours until the regular season starts on Saturday. Do people think the chasing phase will still be hot? In the past I have used some doe estrous pee on wicks for the opener and it didn't seem to do anything. Reading the forum this year, I'm thinking we might be closer to the chasing phase than in the past couple of years, so they might work. What do people think?

I hope so! It's very possible. Last year they were. Here are my notes from last year from 3N:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/7274-biz-r-oworld-2011-ny-deer-journal/

Opening Day, Saturday - 11/19/11

Hunted private 8 acres in Carmel, NY (Putnam County - 3N) with my Dad. I got to my spot at 545am. Saw nothing all morning, and met my Dad at 1130am near a stream to eat lunch. Found out he saw nothing as well. In the afternoon we sat about 30 yards from each other. At 3pm, he was motioning me to come over to him and I could read his lips "BOBCAT". I snuck over to my Dad, but it was too late the Bobcat was gone. My Dad could have shot him, but said he wanted me to get one since he already has one from Maine. I wish he had just shot it, he said it was bigger than his 35lber he has mounted. It was the first time he ever seen Bobcat in NY in over 40 years of hunting. At least we are going to Minnesota in December to get me a Bobcat regardless. So I then went back to my spot, and sat. At 418pm I saw a big doe come out of the pines about 25 yards away and I watched her eat along the pines till just about 430pm when she went back into the pines. A few minutes later I heard crashing and a doe and a fawn came running out of the pines at about 40 yards. As I wondered what spooked them, a buck came running out behind them grunting like crazy...He chased the doe and fawn grunted like crazy away from me until they were all out of sight. I grunted 3-4 times trying to stop the buck for a possible shot, but he was so glued into the doe/fawn that nothing stopped him. He was definitely a wide 4, maybe 6. Anyway not a bad first day, shows how sometimes you have to sit all day to see deer in the final minutes.

Lastly, also found another huge buck rub, at least 36" from top to bottom. Also heard about 20-25 shots throughout the day.

Sunday - 11/20/11

I couldn't hunt due to my final walk-thru before closing on a place on Tuesday morning, and other things I had to take care of.

My Dad of course hunted dark to dark, same private 8 acres in Carmel, NY (Putnam County - 3N). Late afternoon just before he dark, he saw a doe come out of the pines and watched for a few minutes and then she left heading back into the pines. My dad then hit the doe bleat call softly twice and out came a buck, he shot this big 7 pointer. Swelled up and neck and just a big deer in general. Pics attached. I think this is the buck that was making the big buck rubs, also attached. Rut is definitely later than normal this year, as we never usually see bucks chasing does while hunting during gun season, but 2 days in a row just before dark it was seen.