Well-There Goes Another 18,500 Jobs

Union got a little too greedy...now, instead of getting a raise, they're out of a job.

On a side note, the comsumer base has changed in the last 10 years as people are starting to become more health conscience but Hostess hasn't adjusted one bit to meet these changes. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I bought a Hostess product.

I stopped buying Wonderbread as well. Quality has really gone down hill. Every loaf I was buying was dry. Almost like school cafeteria bread. Now I buy Martin's Potatoe Bread and if not, then Pepper Ridge Farms.

Edited by Elmo

Union got a little too greedy...now, instead of getting a raise, they're out of a job.

On a side note, the comsumer base has changed in the last 10 years as people are starting to become more health conscience but Hostess hasn't adjusted one bit to meet these changes. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I bought a Hostess product.

Union got greedy??

to my knowledge the top 10 employees of Hostess account for 45% of the total salaries, but yes the other 18,490 employees were greedy... lol

If I took a 8% pay cut, my friends and family will be getting some really cheap gift this year. If I took a 100% pay cut I'll be out in the streets.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying the top execs are innocent either. The reason Hostess has gotten into this whole mess has been decades of poor management and the inability to adapt to the changing market.

Edited by Elmo

Congratulations on being able to absorb such a hit with only minor setbacks. Some people aren't as fortunate. We are talking about ~$16 an hour jobs. We aren't talking about plumber or electrician unions here.

After eight months, the Teamsters eventually reached an agreement with the company. The union agreed to a contract that cut pay by 8 percent immediately — with that cut shrinking to 5 percent next year. The Teamster workers, most of whom drive trucks for Hostess, average about $20 an hour; the bakery union workers, $16 an hour.

The Teamsters contract reduced the company’s health contributions by 17 percent and suspended its pension contributions until 2015. The company had originally insisted on freezing the pension plan permanently and ceasing all contributions.

The Teamsters insisted on numerous concessions from management. The company eventually agreed to give Hostess’s unions two seats on its board, a 25 percent share of company stock and a $100 million claim in bankruptcy. Last March, the Teamsters helped push out Hostess’s former chief executive after the board proposed tripling his salary even as he was demanding steep concessions from the workers.

In September, the Teamsters members voted narrowly to approve the deal, 53 percent to 47 percent.

The bakery workers union took a far more adversarial stance.

After Hostess’s unions had agreed to more than $100 million in annual cost concessions during Hostess’s previous bankruptcy, the bakery union thought it made little sense to agree to further cuts. It feared a deal would pull down wages and benefits throughout the industry, without saving Hostess.

“Our consultant said the debt load on the company was too heavy, and that we would be back in bankruptcy and facing liquidation in 12 to 16 months from now, even if we took more concessions,” David B. Durkee, the union’s secretary-treasurer, said.

The company folded because it was poorly run, the Bakers Union's stance may have been the final straw, but it was far from the cause Hostess' problems.

EDIT: Elmo - you edited your post and added that last bit while I was writing mine. ;)

Edited by Sogaard