Rattling in NY

nybuckboy

I have rattled in one buck in about 10 years. This year i tried ratling a few different times and twice i had does come in to investigate. I used to always carry a pair of antlers and just last weekend i removed them from my bag because of the lack of results i have had. I guess the areas i hunt there isnt enough mature bucks and way too many does and that is why im not having much luck.

John

i rattles in a small 6 in early November this year. I dont even bring the rattle bag with me during gun season though, ive had way better luck with callls and scents in general before the regular season starts.. once gun opens i leave all that stuff home and hunt escape routes

• Like 1

This may sound weird but if I happen to have my calls in the truck and I see a feild of deer I pull over and see what affects them and I noticed if its not a big dominant buck they will literally run away from the rattle.

And I sorta think people over do it and make it sound like 2 grandpa bucks fights and they don't want to know much lol..

It would be like stepping in the ring with tyson.

Just my personal observation.

I've had, what I will call "better than average" results by rattling. I'm not shy about a few series every sit though, so maybe the sucess I've had averages out. If I see a buck outta range I'll hit the horns. More often than not, the buck will ignore or commit before running off like his tail's on fire.

IMO- you're not always trying to challenge/coax the biggest baddest buck to the horns. A lot of times lesser bucks will come in not for the fight, but rather to steal a doe away from the two distracted bucks doing battle.

as antler restrictions grow more mature bucks it should start working more often on my inlaws land in western ny we only shoot 6 or bigger lots of mature bucks with broken beams if they are fighting like that they will come to horns where i live in dutchess county a have only rattled in 2 in all my 34 years of deer hunting one was a spike the other a group of three a 7 a 3 and a 6

Where i live , we have BIG city bucks . I saw a good sized 8 and a forker in the cemetary so i pulled in and grabbed the grunt call (one of those adjustable deals)well i gave a quick blast with it and you swear both of them got whiplash from turning their heads towards the woods so fast ,im guessing they have already told once. I rarely have any luck while out hunting though.

last year or the year before i rattled a crap load of deer in, both blind rattling and bucks in eye sight. ranging from one beauty of a mature buck to a handful of year and a halfs. this year had no such luck.

although i have been up close and personal with a lot of bucks this year and have come to the conclusion the "mature buck ring" on my grunt tube is spot on with a fawn grunt. now i know why grunting has never worked lol other than to stop one for a shot.

Rattling has proved to be very succesful for me. At first my style was rattle like hell, you know like on tv lmao. Yeah I was young then. I watched alot of videos of bucks fighting and learned a few things. They seem to make alot of ground noise with the pushing each other around, they really dont make a whole lot of banging noises, and they dont last nearly as long as the ones on tv either. One day it really came together when I witnessed a buck while in stand following another buk snort wheezing like crazy at the other one, after about 6 snort wheezes the other manned up and they locked horns. There was not one point that they grunted at each other either. So I start with a few snort wheezes, make more noise rustling leaves and brush while rattling a bit. I dont use big antlers to do it either. In fact its a small 5 point rack which helps me from getting over aggressive. I have had success with rattle bags too, but I take them apart and keep like one of each shape and toss the rest out. Most often the bucks and even does approach downwind, I put a buck urine out, and am scent free as I possibly can be. I probably rattle 6 times on average a year and would guess an average over the years have been 2 bucks respond and always a doe or 2 as well. I am a strong believer that once you educate a deer or anyone else has for that matter they are forever wise to that sounds that spooked them. If a buck winds me in a particular area that came into rattling the gigs up and I dont bother in that area again unless I know there is a better buck in the area and the one spooked I would not take anways. I would say 50% of the bucks I have harvested in the past say 10 years I have taken after a rattling sequence. It works and works well unless you educated the deer and are trying the same thing again on him. I even go to the extent on not using the same deer call if I get busted after using one. I had a good reminder of this lately, you might remember me whining about the damn bleat can lol. The ones everyone uses now days. Got to be different just like steelhead fishin on the river. 20 people using eggs sacks sure will shut down a fishing hole for them while Im still catching fish on custom made flies.

Edited by wdswtr