two questions that i need help with.

sidewinder

LOL.. Well one thing is for sure... this proves that the average hunter does not know what the hunting regulations really are... and the DEC isn't making it easy. I'm wondering if the DEC even knows what the laws are.. :fie:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Its scary how many people have no idea what is legal or illegal. Its also scary how many people can misinterpret even the most straight forward of regulations.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Its scary how many people have no idea what is legal or illegal. Its also scary how many people can misinterpret even the most straight forward of regulations.

But it is even more scarey that laws are written in such a sloppy way as to promote page after page of discussion in a forum (not just this thread but the others that have popped up recently). I am amazed at how many require calls to the DEC to get clarification. I am even more amazed at how many of those answers that you get back involve long explanations adding qualifications that don't exist anywhere in the actual Environmental Conservation Law. The official interpretations are exactly that .... "interpretations" or basically opinions. And another scarey thought is that the opinions that you get from the DEC offices, or from individual ECOs may or may not agree with the opinion that you get from the arresting officer as he writes out your ticket.

You can have a loaded gun on the road, just cant shoot from or over it. Cant be loaded in the truck (or car) and that means none in a detachable magazine that is out of the gun either.

Seriously?? Wow.. I'm really glad I saw this. I usually put the rifle in the toolbox (in the back of my truck) and the clip (still loaded) in the glove box or center console.. This is still illegal!?

And while we're on the topic. I was on break at work yesterday. I saw two hunters leaving a brush lot. One, a friend of mine, the other his father. There is a walking path 15 yards off the road, which parallels the road that they were walking up. A state trooper stopped them (again, I saw the entire thing from a distance) and told them that their weapons needed to be unloaded when walking along the road. They proceeded to unload, etc. My question is: These two guys were a minimum of 15 yards off the road. They were in no way shape or form on the road, and probably couldn't have hit it with spit. Did that trooper have any authority to tell them to unload their weapons while they were legally on private property??

That's like a cross bow cocked but bolt in quiver = unloaded...

Question: When is a crossbow considered unloaded?

Answer: A crossbow is considered unloaded when the bolt/arrow is removed, regardless whether the crossbow is cocked or uncocked.

Edited by growalot

Seriously?? Wow.. I'm really glad I saw this. I usually put the rifle in the toolbox (in the back of my truck) and the clip (still loaded) in the glove box or center console.. This is still illegal!?

Yes. You have to take the rounds out of the magazine.

Did that trooper have any authority to tell them to unload their weapons while they were legally on private property??

No, he did not know what he was talking about. Surprise Surprise.

Are you sure about that part? I thought magazine out of gun = unloaded

Muzzleloader charged without primer = unloaded

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

100% sure of it.

Its also illegal to carry your ammo inside the same case in which you carry your gun, even if the ammo is still in the factory packaging. I found that one out a year or so ago.

100% sure of it.

Its also illegal to carry your ammo inside the same case in which you carry your gun, even if the ammo is still in the factory packaging. I found that one out a year or so ago.

ive also read that you cant have your gun and ammo in the same part of the vehicle. i.e both in back seat or both in trunk.. ones got to be in trunk and one in back seat.. unless im wrong someone correct me but i think i read that somewhere

You must be in posession of a current small game hunting license for coyote hunting (and of course the season be open)

Under furbearing hunting regulations you may not hunt at night with a centerfire rifle in any area that has an open deer season. It will not fly to use that as an excuse.

You must be in posession of a current small game hunting license for coyote hunting (and of course the season be open)

Under furbearing hunting regulations you may not hunt at night with a centerfire rifle in any area that has an open deer season. It will not fly to use that as an excuse.

Check that, you cannot use a centerfire rifle to coyote hunt at night in any area that has an open deer season and is shotgun only. If you can hunt deer with a centerfire rifle, you can use them on yotes at night in that area.

You sure about that Chief? That's sounds excessive, so its OK to have rounds on the floor of a truck rolling around but not in the case with the gun.....I'm not saying I'm looking for a common sense and the gun laws but what you saying is a bit irrational...just an observation.

You sure about that Chief? That's sounds excessive, so its OK to have rounds on the floor of a truck rolling around but not in the case with the gun.....I'm not saying I'm looking for a common sense and the gun laws but what you saying is a bit irrational...just an observation.

Yeah, that sounds like a bit of over-interpretation. I would like to see the actual wording in law that states that. I cannot find any of these little details or interpretations in the law books that I have. I wonder just how much latitude is given conservation officers and J.P.s when it comes to imagining what some of these laws really mean. At some point one would hope that they have to back this stuff up with actual written laws.

Yes. I dont make the laws, and there are alot of irrational ones. Ill see if I cant dig it up.

Now that one I don[t agree with. There is no NY law that I know of that requires loose ammo to be in a seperate place. I would like to see that one.

What if.. you shoot a buck, fill out the tag, report the tag, then butcher the deer and package it (if you didn't choose to keep the head to mount) how do they know its a buck and not a doe when you transport it home? are you supposed to keep it's family jewels in another package?