NOT HAPPY AT ALL

CRACKER

I have a neighbor who feels his one acre of land is big enough to hunt. The parcel is located in front of my house and has 4 houses less than 500feet. I caught him looking for a deer last year in my brush front of my house and asked him what he was doing he said he shot a deer in his yard and was looking for it. When I told him I felt he was not able to hunt there and that I did not want him hunting there with my house right up the hill in plain sight, he said "dont' worry I'm shooting into the hill". I said it doesn't matter my kids sled and play in our front yard..... Well yesterday I'm sledding with my daughter in the front yard and about 3:45 we went in for some hot chocolate. With in a few minutes I see some deer run into the back yard and was glassing them. A spike and 3 does. Then bang bang, I keep looking and see nothing esle. 20 minutes later the spike runs through my yard pretty well, but his left leg is hurt and bleeding, the deer runs into my other heighbors yard. Then I see this guys in orange movin in the brush on our property border. I yell down to him that we were just sledding there and I don't want him hunting there anymore.I saw the deer and its running fine and bla bla bla. Next thing I see is him in my yard tracking this deer. My wife comes home and stops to see why he is in my yard with a gun. He says to her "is that your husband yelling at me" she says to him why are you in my yard where my kids were apparently just sledding, hunting. He turns around and walks back into his prpoerty. After my wife and I figure out the best way to handle This I go to his house and his truck is there, lights on and he wont answer his door. I call and left a message have not heard back.

We don't want probelms with them, but this is the last time I'm dealing with this guy about hunting. What I plan to do is talk with him and see if he agrees that this is the last time I want time hunting there. If he's not agreeable I'm calling the ECO.

When I bought and built this house he called the town on me twice until my lawn was in because of straw washing down into his yard even though I raked it out both times, he called the town dog warden about wild cats in my barn when they trapped his cat in there. So, why I'm being this nice and not blowing him in I don't know. This is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SURVEYOR
  • Like 1

Wow...I'm sorry...are you two daft!!...WTH endangering your kids!!! call the DEC...sheriffs... and do so before all the evidence is melted or washed away.....You shouldn't have to get on line to have ppl tell you to protect your family...........

turn him in!

Call him in- he did the same to you.

He just called and stated that he is 500 feet from my house and the other neighbors don't care its just me (or know). He said he came into my yard because I was yelling at him and wanted to talk. I told him he's hunted long enough to know a deer will not drop that often and then end up in my yard and that he can't hunt there anymore its just too tight of a spot. He agreed and gave me his word that he would not hunt there again, he has other spots he said. I told him if I see any sign of hunting I will call on him right away and my wife may call now anyway.

I think I got through to him now, but who knows he's a jackass.

He apologized multiply times and seemed real scared?!?!

we live back in the woods and have two daughters and a son who are home alone alot , just trying to keep things as friendly as possible. God forbid, I need help from the jackass for something in the future. fire, robbery, who knows

I was very harsh and direct on the phone and think he knows I'm not messing around.

If I read this post I would definetly think the poster is nuts not to call right awaand agree with the posts, but needed to speak to him first to keep some neighbor traits going with him.

i understand you wanting to keep the peace. I have some neighbors who walk on my property. i caught 2 of the daughters during bow season. i explained that they cant walk during hunting season as i have a stand there but that i dont mind them walking out of season eventhough i'd rather they not. just trying to keep the peace and it's always good to be friendly with neighbors. he could see someone robbing you blind and decide not to call it in because of the incident. most people are reasonable and if given a good reason why you're being the way you are will still be pissy but eventually understand.

He just called and stated that he is 500 feet from my house and the other neighbors don't care its just me (or know). He said he came into my yard because I was yelling at him and wanted to talk. I told him he's hunted long enough to know a deer will not drop that often and then end up in my yard and that he can't hunt there anymore its just too tight of a spot. He agreed and gave me his word that he would not hunt there again, he has other spots he said. I told him if I see any sign of hunting I will call on him right away and my wife may call now anyway.

I think I got through to him now, but who knows he's a jackass.

He apologized multiply times and seemed real scared?!?!

IT IS ILLEGAL TO HUNT WITHIN 500 FEET OF A DWELLING, ROADWAY, CHURCH, OR SCHOOL WITHOUT THE OWNERS PERMISSION (ITS IN THE RULE BOOK)!!!!!! I REPEAT IF HE BREAKS THE LAW AND ENDANGERS YOU AND UR FAMILY HE NEEDS TO BE TURNED IN.........

(sorry caps lock was on and im to lasy to re-type it all)

Edited by josephmrtn

Hopefully you scared him straight. I don't know if I would have done the same thing as you being that my family may be in danger from this guys stupidity. By giving this guy a second chance you may have set up a double edge sword - keeping the peace or giving this guy literally another shot to harm your family. IMO I'd rather have my family safe than keeping the peace. You can always put up a fence . . .

Surveyor - Hope your conversation resolved the issue but I would have called the cops on him because you had already given him the warning the previous year when you saw him scouting your brush.

As far as public roads go, I believe you don't have to be 500 feet from them but you can't shoot over one.

• Like 1

IT IS ILLEGAL TO HUNT WITHIN 500 FEET OF A DWELLING, ROADWAY, CHURCH, OR SCHOOL WITHOUT THE OWNERS PERMISSION (ITS IN THE RULE BOOK)!!!!!! I REPEAT IF HE BREAKS THE LAW AND ENDANGERS YOU AND UR FAMILY HE NEEDS TO BE TURNED IN.........

(sorry caps lock was on and im to lasy to re-type it all)

Its not illegal to hunt within 500 feet of a road. You have to be off of the maintained shoulder and cannot shoot over the road.

• Like 1

What I plan to do is talk with him...

This is the correct thing to do. Try to solve the situation as individuals first. Take that as far as you can. The one who loses their cool will not be in the laws favor. Stay calm like an ice cube.

Then if you have to go to the authorities, you have displayed that you; thought the issue out, took appropriate and professional steps, and then finally had to escalate to the law.

This also shows that you did not just go the law as a whiner but as responsible, smart individual.

Sorry to hear about this situation and am sure it will come out in your favor.

. I caught him looking for a deer last year in my brush front of my house and asked him what he was doing he said he shot a deer in his yard and was looking for it. When I told him I felt he was not able to hunt there and that I did not want him hunting there with my house right up the hill in plain sight, he said "dont' worry I'm shooting into the hill". I said it doesn't matter my kids sled and play in our front yard.....

Have to say WOW again...he proved he did not care that your kids were there last year and continued again this year...what more are you waiting for?...and "don't worry I'm shooting into the hill"??..and he's 100' lower than YOUR FRONT YARD!

If I have to explain how seriously dangerous that is...well I'm stunned ...Your going by his word that the other neighbors say it's OK with them?...Hey don't worry though maybe he'll be a great guy and negate your concerns by ...Oh I don't know...taking up archery or a crossbow ...So the noise won't bother or alarm you..then he can shoot anytime your family is out and about..and hey.... put in a target to shoot into against that hill...in your front yard....enough said ...I actually got a headache from this post...

• Like 1