NOT HAPPY AT ALL

CRACKER

I bowhunt on small parcels of property, from 15 to 25 acres and even that I have to watch out for and I can't use a gun in Westchester, and on one piece in Orange, I just don't bother hunting there. I worry about wounding an animal and have it run on someone else's property, which is why I won't take a bad shot. But there is no way you can hunt with a gun on that small a piece of property and say it's safe. You have no clue where that bullet can go if you miss.

If your discussing it with the guy, maybe comprimise with the times of hunting, dawn till 8:30 and 3:30 to dusk is possible. If he's that close, he could put out a flag or a sign that you can see that tells you he's in the woods. If it were me, I'd be dead set against any gun hunting, and would also think twice with a bow or crossbow. It's a tough decision, but talking it out, trying to stay away from heating each other up, and keeping level heads would be the best thing for you and your family. Having an angry neighbor, with a gun, not caring what you say or do, is not the way you want to go.

Also, get a city map showing all the surrounding properties, their acreage, their border lines, and houses, and ask local authorities if you have cause for concern, and what steps could be taken. Your not sicking the cops on him, just showing concern for yours and your neighbors rights. Good luck.

Ive read the OP twice now and still dont see what an ECO would do but waste his time. What crime did this poor fella commit? It was never stated if he was closer than 500ft from your house, it was never stated that he shot onto your property. Last year you harassed him for walking the brush on the border? If he was on his side of the line another non issue. You not wanting him to hunt his property is an issue. Just curious when you bought your dream home propery "back in the woods", did you consider locating the house in the safest place for your family, or just high and dry?. Im sure your neighbors smelly farm is quite the nuissance as well. Also, whether or not he has permission from the other neighbors really is non of your concern, its theirs. On the other hand, 1 acre is tough to hunt without permission from neighbors though. Stay safe

With an acre equaling a lot approximately 209' x 209', a person must not be thinking to clear to try an hunt such a small parcel for deer, or anything else for that matter. Discharging a firearm on a one acre lot is reckless and looking to kill someone. Who stops the bullet or slug if you miss your target? And even if you hit your deer, unless you hit it in the head, neck or spine it is not likely to drop in it's tracks. No deer on earth is worth any human getting injured or killed over.

• Like 1

shooting on a one acre parcel is dangerous and reckless now? It sounds to me like the guy is not hunting in the middle of a subdivison. As long as he knows what is beyond his target, etc, whats the problem? I hunt some big acreage farms and there are spots where I know if I miss, my bullet could possibly cross the property line. Nothing unsafe about that unless Im shooting in the direction of people, houses, etc. As long as the guy has permission from all of the homeowners that have homes within 500' of where hes shooting, and he indeed shoots in a safe direction, theres no issue.

As long as the guy has permission from all of the homeowners that have homes within 500' of where hes shooting, and he indeed shoots in a safe direction, theres no issue.

Your right. As long as he has permission and in this case he doesn't. I'm not saying anyone can't hunt on 1 acre with a Rifle, but it's a case where it's not the safest condition. This is how accidents happen. We read about them all the time. "How could that happen, No one would do that !!" Yet, it happens. I agree he has the right, but not the permission.

Your right. As long as he has permission and in this case he doesn't. I'm not saying anyone can't hunt on 1 acre with a Rifle, but it's a case where it's not the safest condition. This is how accidents happen. We read about them all the time. "How could that happen, No one would do that !!" Yet, it happens. I agree he has the right, but not the permission.

Thats not what I read.As you can see below, the OP says he ranged the area where the deer was, not where the guy shot from. Big difference as the law pertains to the shooters position, not the location or distance of the target.

I just ranged it to the trees where I saw the deer and its 405-435'. I'm going to tell him the distance and make sure he knows I'm seroiusly at the end of my rope with this. The only saving grace is that he is about 100'+ feet lower, but you can't fix stupid

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess and that's ok. I hold my opinion that one acre of land is not safe to be hunting with firearms. And, as far as knowing what beyond, that should be no problem because unless your sitting smack dab in the middle of the lot and are over your head in brush you should be able to see a coupe hundred feet without any problem. LOL!

Lastly, even on big acres the thought of having a round traveling across onto another's property is a scary thought to me. That is why on my land all my stands are placed so that we fire into my property and never towards my neighbors land. I would rather be overly careful than risk someone getting hurt.

• Like 1

Lastly, even on big acres the thought of having a round traveling across onto another's property is a scary thought to me. That is why on my land all my stands are placed so that we fire into my property and never towards my neighbors land. I would rather be overly careful than risk someone getting hurt.

I guess I dont understand what is so scary about it. I just simply make sure I know what is beyond my target before I shoot. I dont shoot at skylined deer, etc. A safe shot with a good backstop is a safe shot with a good backstop. Doesnt matter who owns the backstop.

How often in real hunting situations do you actually have a "good backstop" behind the deer you are shooting at? And I am defining a good backstop as an earthen embankment that will stop a bullet. Look at any rifle range and you will see what a "good backstop" really is ...... cleared to the target and beyond up to an earthen bullet catcher. Let's face it, most shots are taken at game that is in a level-ish wooded setting (sometimes a brushy thick background). Given the real-life kind of actual backstop shots that are close to other houses make you start wondering just how safe the 500' requirement really is. Legal? .... yes - safe? ..... probably not. Add in the use of rifles, and the proximity situation does make some of this stuff kind of "scarey". I can certainly understand the apprehension that a resident with or without kids might experience when someone is taking advantage of every legal foot when shooting.

How often in real hunting situations do you actually have a "good backstop" behind the deer you are shooting at? And I am defining a good backstop as an earthen embankment that will stop a bullet. Look at any rifle range and you will see what a "good backstop" really is ...... cleared to the target and beyond up to an earthen bullet catcher. Let's face it, most shots are taken at game that is in a level-ish wooded setting (sometimes a brushy thick background). Given the real-life kind of actual backstop shots that are close to other houses make you start wondering just how safe the 500' requirement really is. Legal? .... yes - safe? ..... probably not. Add in the use of rifles, and the proximity situation does make some of this stuff kind of "scarey". I can certainly understand the apprehension that a resident with or without kids might experience when someone is taking advantage of every legal foot when shooting.

You trying to talk yourself out of spending money on a rifle?...LOL

It is amazing to me that you even have to be put in this situation with a neighbor... or anyone for that matter. Have people just flat out lost their sense of right and wrong? Not just as a hunter, but as a civilized human being... why would anyone think that it is necessary or a good idea to hunt anywhere close to a neighborhood?? The guy even said he has other places to hunt...THEN HUNT THERE!!! Hopefully "other places" doesn't mean someone elses neighborhood.

• Like 3

Btw, there have been studies that show a shotgun slug has the potential to go further than a rifle bullet after it strikes something. Not sure why rifles are any more concern than shotguns as long as you are making safe shots (some type of backstop, no skyline shots, safe direction, etc).

I've read about the one study, and I have read a few rebuttals to it. But primarily I have seen plenty of evidence that not all hunters shoot in safe directions, and as I have pointed out, backstops are not often required by all or even very many hunters. All hunters simply are not responsible.

However getting back to the original thread, rifle or shotgun, I have to agree with nyantler ..... what the heck reason does anyone have for plagueing a neighborhood with any kind of close-in shooting? Just because it is legal? To me, a little consideration for the residents is in order even if you totally ignore the safety implications.

Agreed doc. Regardless of legality, the image of hunters would be greatly strained if common decency is put aside.

I just hope that Crackers neighbor shows the same respect to Crackers family that he is showing by not calling in the authorities immediately. I understand trying to work it out as neighbors and hope it is now resolved.

Turks, even if the hunting was legal, the tracking of a deer onto his property was trespassing. So yes, he definitely did something illegal, and insulting since he had been told multiple times that the guy did not want him hunting so close to his house. I think it is a matter of respect not to hunt so close to the guys house with out talking to him, illegal to trespass, insulting to trespass after their conversations, and ridiculous to say that he has a good back stop... the hill the house is situated on. "Don't worry fella, the hill you own and your kids like to sled on is catching all my bullets." Hmm... Not ok in my book.

I'd like to address a few things, one is with this Turk guy, yes a did buy a property to build my dream home and have my own hunting land, its wasn't cheap and the money was hard earned. And yes I wanted my house high and dry, so yes my house is in the woods. The problem is??? Also, ironically there is a smelly farm by us and we love it! My wives family runs a dairy farm and we open the windows when the smell of the slurry settles into the valley to make her feel at home. Not quite sure what you were getting at there or why the personal attack? Next I ranged the distance from the deer from the corner of my house. The deer were in the middle of his parcel. His parcel is 1 acre+/- but a pie shaped one acre so he probably 200' in his max lot depth. so, he was either in his house garage or shed. My 500' would put me into his house. Let's assume here that he was 500' from my house and that he has permission to shoot at moving animals from the 4 houses on around him. We've all been in the woods when a distant shot goes off and it startles us. So, although I was in my house I still jumped at the two shots and if I was in my front yard I would have shlt my pants. At that point 911 would have been called right away. Now the deer was hit and eventually ran over my yard and driveway. Do we know that this jackass would not have tried to put that deer down??? OK, he's told me he's shooting into the hill, well its my hill and if my kids are on my hill on my property in front of my house is it still a good idea to use that as a backstop, ahh no!!!. Further more, is the law intending to put hunting, stalking and sitting in your treestand 500' from houses too? Does the DEC really want us driving deer out of land that may be 100' from a house, but we just can't shoot... if a hunter walks close behind houses he's going to get the cops called on him or her.

Some, of you guys say the ECO would have done nothing to this guy..what??? He walked across my lawn and driveway tracking a deer with a gun in his hand, and was met with my wife driving up our driveway. This guy would have received multiply tickets and had a pretty big hastle to deal with. And the more I read the posts, like from the TURK and Backstrap guy, the more I want to call this in just to get a report on file. Out of a neighbor curtesy I did not, and its a risk I'm taking. Now that the snow is mealting to cover up the evidence, I should call to get this on file. I'm sure the ECO would have a field day with investigating this, talking with neighbors and my family and asking this guys what the hell he was thinking. Does he have better things to do, maybe but I think they'd really want to know this happended.

You always hear about non hunting people hearing shots real close to houses or seeing hunters driving deer through the back lot too close to the houses,or what ever and it leaves a very negative feeling about us. So, some of these comments I'm seeing are the mentality that the antis love to hear about to use as amunition against us. Some guys will do whatever it takes to get a deer and its usually the easy route by pushing the limits of common sense and the law.

I have an area I hunt on my land about 1200-1500' from a house, I call him every year to remind them its hunting season and I have stand behind their house. Do I have to no, but I know its loud and scary to hear shots. I know exactly where the house is and where I can't and can shoot. All my shots hit my earth!!! They call me when I shoot on my cell to ask if it was me, because we have had some problems with other hunters in the past. They are OK with it and we have a good neighbor relationship. Share equipment and kids are friends. They are not hunters.

I posted this to vent to hunters, but probably should have thought about it a little longer, its been interesting....where's the Tums.

Edited by CRACKER

I've read about the one study, and I have read a few rebuttals to it. But primarily I have seen plenty of evidence that not all hunters shoot in safe directions, and as I have pointed out, backstops are not often required by all or even very many hunters. All hunters simply are not responsible.

However getting back to the original thread, rifle or shotgun, I have to agree with nyantler ..... what the heck reason does anyone have for plagueing a neighborhood with any kind of close-in shooting? Just because it is legal? To me, a little consideration for the residents is in order even if you totally ignore the safety implications.

Oh I agree Doc, not all hunters are safe. Im just talking about taking safe shots, etc. There are going to be unsafe people, rule breakers, etc no matter what you make the rules/laws to be.