NOT HAPPY AT ALL

CRACKER

i dont want to derail another thread. but potential to go farther does not mean it's more dangerous? Let me break it down because i guess i'm not being clear.

made up numbers for arguments sake

rifle - travel 500 yards

shotgun - (according to your studies potential to go farther) 600 yards

would you not say a bullet that could travel farther is more dangerous as it can cover more ground?

Lets keep going. Your stand is 550 yards from a school. Your rifle (using made up numbers for arguments sake) cannot hit the school, but your shotgun can. So sorry if I inferred by your statement that it was more dangerous. If I misunderstood the point of your post, explain it to me please.

You say taxes went up because of development...I won't ask if you attend town /city board meetings...I know I have and the biggest reason they give for working hard.... trying to get developers here...Is to keep taxes down...to put funds in the coffers.... To buy road equipment ...town barns ..insurance...ect..ect...See a 700,000 dollar house...well that adds much more that a 80,000 house to the tax base

Where did I say that it works in that statement?...What I said was town government was working hard to get development in...that THEIR reasons were...ect....Blaming developers and the dreaded "outsiders"...I take it you live where you were brought up....isn't where the blame belongs...Ohh yes those evil ones.... being approached with incentives from....what the local government?.....Well maybe the locals voted "outsiders" into office?

Now besides the hunters outdoors men you can also blame the residents...gee it takes time and effort...even some cash to fight an assessment but believe me it can be done....a house that is worth only so much can not be over assessed.... unless one allows it to be...now the lot or land well that's a tad more complicated...but still something that can be remedied...PS I've posted on this in the past..been there done that

Once again ppl prioritizing ...hhmm then again...if those same ppl paying those high assessments decided to down size or retire to destinations south....How much do you think they be complaining when that house they payed 80,000 sold for 140,000?

Edited by growalot

i dont want to derail another thread. but potential to go farther does not mean it's more dangerous? Let me break it down because i guess i'm not being clear.

rifle - travel 500 yards

would you not say a bullet that could travel farther is more dangerous as it can cover more ground?

Lets keep going. Your stand is 550 yards from a school. Your rifle (using made up numbers for arguments sake) cannot hit the school, but your shotgun can. So sorry if I inferred by your statement that it was more dangerous. If I misunderstood the point of your post, explain it to me please.

Look, you can sit here and spin your wheels all day trying to put words in my mouth, but I never said they were any more dangerous, and I didnt mean they were any more dangerous. Theres no hidden meaning to what I said, it is what it is.

BTW, you called BS, I backed up my statement and you have been trying to find a way to make me wrong ever since. You probably wonder why I think your egotistical, you cant even admit to being wrong. Sheesh.

BVET...by the way...in Avon NY they tried to put in a industrial development not far from us...we organized went to meetings spoke and asked the hard questions...no development..well at least 10 years after we moved

In our town now...yep they tried with industrial development...organized went to meetings...gave hard evidence and facts.... it never went through and I'll be there fighting again...unless they come up with an intelligent plan of action...

So as an "outsider" I did my bit...by the way..the locals ...had no problem calling everyone that was not born and married off to a distant relative or nieghbor...in some shape or form and "outsider"...Seriously they have a "Dynasty" complex here...The reason? we did not want to see the town make a mistake...but ole "farmer John" and all his cousins felt they should be able to do what ever they wanted with their land...and everyone else and infrastructure be damned

So when painting a "picture"...one may find strokes with a smaller brush may be more appropriate ...Just a thought ;)

Edited by growalot

I agree that the politicians have not managed development well in most places. There should be acreage minimums for lots in the more rural areas, and the big developers should have to follow the same sets of rules and zoning restrictions as everyone else. That being said, if you didn't want the land developed, you should have bought the property yourself. You can't blame the people that move into the houses for these issues. I bet a lot of trees were cut down when they built your house at some point too.

Land here is at $150,000 an acre. Who can afford to buy that? The cottage I live in, must have cost all of about 8 trees. I'm not completely anti development. I just think there needs to be a balance. The old school developers went by a balance. The ones now don't. They just wipe everything out, including wetlands.

Even the DEC has held meetings with the towns, trying to convince them to cluster, with no success.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO HUNT WITHIN 500 FEET OF A DWELLING, ROADWAY, CHURCH, OR SCHOOL WITHOUT THE OWNERS PERMISSION (ITS IN THE RULE BOOK)!!!!!! I REPEAT IF HE BREAKS THE LAW AND ENDANGERS YOU AND UR FAMILY HE NEEDS TO BE TURNED IN.........

(sorry caps lock was on and im to lasy to re-type it all)

This is true but he is not with in the 500 feet. I doubt that he is hunting 500 feet from your house but i'm not there so i can only take his word. Also you can hunt as close to the road as you want as long you, any part of your hunting equipment(including shells) or your bullet crosses the road(told to me by an DEC officer).

rifle - travel 500 yards

About 4 - 5 years ago , a couple of guys were playing John Wayne at the Ontario Rifle Range which is located on Trimble Road in Ontario , NY . They put a hole in a swimming pool located on Putnam Road which was almost a mile from there . There was a heck of a big deal made of it and the range was shutdown for about a year . Had to raise the berms , get certified to use the range and go through a special safety course . All because 2 dumb asses were doing something stupid .

The homeowner was playing with his kids in the back yard when the accident happened . He said his daughter had just walked past the pool a few seconds before the hit happened and water came out of the hole caused by the bullet ( was later recovered ) .

The club member was kicked out and he and his buddy are not welcomed back to the range .

Point being ----- the bullet traveled at least a mile ( .223 ) .

About 4 - 5 years ago , a couple of guys were playing John Wayne at the Ontario Rifle Range which is located on Trimble Road in Ontario , NY . They put a hole in a swimming pool located on Putnam Road which was almost a mile from there . There was a heck of a big deal made of it and the range was shutdown for about a year . Had to raise the berms , get certified to use the range and go through a special safety course . All because 2 dumb asses were doing something stupid .

The homeowner was playing with his kids in the back yard when the accident happened . He said his daughter had just walked past the pool a few seconds before the hit happened and water came out of the hole caused by the bullet ( was later recovered ) .

The club member was kicked out and he and his buddy are not welcomed back to the range .

Point being ----- the bullet traveled at least a mile ( .223 ) .

good lord people i'm not arguing anything against shooting safely. The only point I disputed was that about shotguns vs rifles and ricochets vs uninterrupted projectiles. Any firearm can be dangerous in the wrong hands, we all know that.

My parents live 3 minutes from the Ontario gun club and I live about 10, I took my safety courses there and my father was once a member. Very familiar with it. When I lived in Alden I belonged to the alden rod and gun club as well. There was a club down the street that had limited hours and calibers because of a similar incident. Bring in the right members and have the right sized berms in place to begin with and you avoid both situations.

Edited by Belo

Even the DEC has held meetings with the towns, trying to convince them to cluster, with no success.

Again the town government allowing...not the developers...they can only do what the local town/city government allows and who are you as a resident voting in? What are the locals doing to participate in stopping the things YOU don't want? Some times upon closer inspection that ole blame game.... sets solely in the laps of those doing the blaming

Again the town government allowing...not the developers...they can only do what the local town/city government allows and who are you as a resident voting in? What are the locals doing to participate in stopping the things YOU don't want? Some times upon closer inspection that ole blame game.... sets solely in the laps of those doing the blaming

From what I have seen locally, the movers and shakers of the town government are only concerned with increasing the tax base. And all the town residents are right there cheering them on. Nobody seems to understand the myth about increasing a tax base and how that kind of mindless and boundless expansion baloons the new tax requirements demanded by the new density. I'll never forget how proud the town supervisor was when he campaigned on his efforts to recruit new business and industry to "increase the tax base". I wanted to strangle him.

Yeah, I know we're getting pretty far of topic here, but you tweaked a sore spot.

From what I have seen locally, the movers and shakers of the town government are only concerned with increasing the tax base. And all the town residents are right there cheering them on. Nobody seems to understand the myth about increasing a tax base and how that kind of mindless and boundless expansion baloons the new tax requirements demanded by the new density. I'll never forget how proud the town supervisor was when he campaigned on his efforts to recruit new business and industry to "increase the tax base". I wanted to strangle him.

Yeah, I know we're getting pretty far of topic here, but you tweaked a sore spot.

Doc, I agree 100%. Not only has the tax base gone through the roof here, but the impact on hunting has been devastating. Ironically, down here, the residents tend to voice their opinions against the excessive development. It does no good, though, because the town boards do what they want.

I'd say its reckless and endangerment. 13Bvet, I've heard from someone who lives in that development and he was fined by the homeowners assoc. For running his ATV in his own yard! What cracks me up is the 2500+ sqft "units" that are attached by a porch! I think that's how they beat the tax code. Has anyone seen these assisted living neighborhoods that switch gears after they don't sell any units and turn into a regular development? What a crock. They get approved to build under the guise of being for the elderly. I guess we should stop reproducing. That will solve the problem. Lol.

Hell-you remember what it used to look like between 52, and 9? You know-where Merritt Blvd is. What is that-like 1 and a half-2 miles of condos they built there? What a damned eyesore. I used to hunt up on Brooks property-you could look down, and see nothing but woods. Today, you look down, and see nothing but condos. The banks along the creek are eroding like crazy there to, since they took all the shoreline trees out on that one side.

you might want to check with a warden on the safety zone laws, I know in Pa. the safety zone is 150 yards ( yes i know its 500' in NY) But in Pa the law is you can not hunt in, shoot into (even if outside the safety

zone) trap, persue game with a gun or bow, drive game ( even if not carrying gun or bow) in a safety zone.

the safety zone law in NY is not as clearly defined in the book as it is in the pa book, not that people abide by it anyway, its probably one of the most often broken game laws on the books. I could write

100's of entries of safety zone violations on our farm down home since we have been there. including

the scumbag that shot twice at a deer that was standing in our barn yard WITH my 3 horses saturday afternoon!

Well when I called the DEC the day I was standing on the porch and a local JA was standing across a wide open field directly across from me unloaded his gun at a deer running full board between him and my house......by the way pumping that shot gun ...swinging like he was on a skeet shoot...The DEC officer asked..." Was he standing 500ft away...for if he was and you weren't hit he's not doing any thing illegal"...Then again that's region 8...had I called 9 or 7...may have gotten a different answer.....That's happened before as well....