Baiting for these pictures

seven7

ok call me crazy, but i have a hard time believing that some of these pics in this section are done without bait. im not talking about food plots either. it seems that every pic i see is of one or several deer in the same area, most time with heads down in the same spot. i  figure i will get slammed for this but im just stating what a lot of other people are thinking...anybody have any opinions?

Well, I can only speak for the pics that I post, they are mostly taken at a spot I have which is a small food plot with apple trees.

I have not noticed any pictures on here that have appeared to be over baited areas. If you have never noticed, deer will tend to feed as they walk around. You dont think that the guys getting good trailcam pics are just putting the cams out liberally, do you? The cams are usually placed with just as much thought as a treestand would be, in areas that should be good or are known to be good spots to see deer. I smell the tinge of jealousy in the OP.

Well then your nose is off WNYBH...really jealousy?....nice... the guy was pointing out the truth....not in a lot of pics but there are some obvious mineral lick sites with dug down areas...Come on....most are just plots or good trails...or the ppl were SMART enough not to point the cam in the direction of ...what ever they put down...inferring someone is jealous because they pointed out what every NY hunter should know is illegal is just petty....JMO 

Well then your nose is off WNYBH...really jealousy?....nice... the guy was pointing out the truth....not in a lot of pics but there are some obvious mineral lick sites with dug down areas...Come on....most are just plots or good trails...or the ppl were SMART enough not to point the cam in the direction of ...what ever they put down...inferring someone is jealous because they pointed out what every NY hunter should know is illegal is just petty....JMO

I stand by what I said. Show me a pic that indicates baiting on here. The only pictures Ive seen of an area dug down were from a guy wondering what the heck it was, and unless hes just plain lieing, its either a natural mineral source or he has a trespassing issue. There are many threads on this site that point out that baiting is illegal, but throwing out general accusations of breaking the law with no real proof is the truly petty and pathetic move.

WNY-i am not saying everyone here is doing it, in fact i bet most people are not. im am just stating an opinion that i have, on things that i have noticed. i understand that guys set up cams on food plots, along trails...and yes i know that deer graze as they move. but when i see a pic of several racks with their snouts down in the same spot of dirt/leaves it just makes me think...

WNY-i am not saying everyone here is doing it, in fact i bet most people are not. im am just stating an opinion that i have, on things that i have noticed. i understand that guys set up cams on food plots, along trails...and yes i know that deer graze as they move. but when i see a pic of several racks with their snouts down in the same spot of dirt/leaves it just makes me think...

I hear ya. I always look for bait in photos and called a few guys out for it on the old Empire site. I just havent seen any real evidence of it yet on this site. Many of the pics of the deer sniffing the ground are at scrape locations, etc. Im just not into throwing out accusations without proof.  :D

I have to agree with WNY or atleast I can comment that with my cam setups are either a no brainer  where my cameras are placed in a foodplot however still takes some thought in camera placement to get great pictures or my setups are the complete opposite in that I have to put in alot of thought to get good pictures. Sometimes camera placement can be pretty intense , but that could just be me taking hunting very seriously.To accuse someone just because thay have great pictures without proof, why even bother going there? Why are there people coming on this sight with so much negativity? Do people just want to be argumentative or do you have proof of baiting? Maybe what you are seeing are dedicated hunters that take trailcam scouting very seriously, which in my opinion can become just as intense as the hunt itself, just my 2 cents.

Well I'll probably get slammed for this but I don't think baiting or supplement feeding in the off season should be illegal.  Or at least the second def. shouldn't be.  I think it is purely a revenue for the d.e.c. the thought that it will cut down on disease spread is rediculous I have trail camera pics of does licking each other mouths.  I don't personally bait but many states do allow it and for a weekend hunter who lives far away from his hunting area and doesn't have time to make a food plot it is a good way to make the most out of his short hunting time.  I think if it were to be legalized there is not alot of guys who wouldn't.

Well I'll probably get slammed for this but I don't think baiting or supplement feeding in the off season should be illegal.  Or at least the second def. shouldn't be.  I think it is purely a revenue for the d.e.c. the thought that it will cut down on disease spread is rediculous I have trail camera pics of does licking each other mouths.  I don't personally bait but many states do allow it and for a weekend hunter who lives far away from his hunting area and doesn't have time to make a food plot it is a good way to make the most out of his short hunting time.  I think if it were to be legalized there is not alot of guys who wouldn't.

I understand what you are saying, and basically you are disputing the law that makes it illegal to feed/bait deer. There is a strong connection between the baiting law and the feeding law and both are illegal. I have a hard time arguing the validity of either law in that I don't personally have the resources or knowledge of the consequences of these acts like the DEC does. The fact is that none of us do. So I guess I am forced to side with the DEC on those issues regardless of whether the practices are used for hunting or for photography.

Doc

Well I wont slam you but your response regarding food plots makes me a little upset. I live in the city as many other hunters and travel 4 hrs in one direction to get to my property, have 4 little kids and a full time job and I manage to put up food plots. I don't think I would be quite happy with my neighbor throwing down a bag of apples after I have made many sacrafices in putting in my plots. Granted I have an understanding wife, kids that love to tag along and access to farm equipment. Having said that, food plots can be attained by the "weekend hunter" if you are willing to devote a couple weekends each year or you can  pay a local farmer to get err' done. My neighbor just had a farmer put in a fall food plot for him for a nominal fee. Contrary to what some might believe I think there is a big big difference in putting in a plot vs. baiting. I think the days of past when we were called weekend hunters or weekend warriors are long gone, as you can tell from this site there are many city folk devoting time to put in food plots.