A Terrible find, DEC called

accman

My son works up in Rockland, and has a small patch of woods and swamp near the office. He goes out to take a look to see if there was any deer sign and found 5 bucks with their heads cut off in a pile. He gave me a call and told me what happened, I went on-line and got the number for the DEC. That was last Tuesday. The DEC said they would send somebody as soon as they could. They didn't show up until Friday afternoon. Now I know their busy, short staffed, and it's their busy season, but really 4 days later. The officer who came out was a female (A real knockout from what my son says), and she took down the information of the find, and she went out to check out the site. She said to leave the carcasses there and they would monitor the area. It's a shame and a terrible waste for someone in the area to do that. Hope they catch em, but more than likely, won't even come close.

All about efficient use of time...I suspect the DEC knows their closing rate of such cases with a dump site. Probably much lower than what their time otherwise is spent on, such as working a hot case, a crime in progress (this is not one in progress), etc. They also likely know the rate at which dump sites will be revisited by the offender. They probably know it isn't high. Drop the bodies and move on to the next dump spot.

I still don't like it, but I guess I understand to a degree of the over-worked and underpaid and under-manned group.

• Like 2

No visible signs of being hit by a car, bodies were in decent shape. No bullet holes, so they probably were head shots and had their heads removed for the horns. It was up in the Congers/Valley Cottage area. I would surmise they won't be back. But either way, someone should remove the carcasses. It's near residential, and don't want to attract coyotes, if you can avoid it. I'll keep ya posted.

thats sick!!!! 1 question which hotline did you call? i found the 1800 TIPP DEC hotline WAY better than the other one. if you call the 1800 tipp dec number its just an operator and he asks you where it is and then gives you the number for the officer for your area of your county... the other one they ask all kind of questions and are not very helpful

Don't know the officers name, but I'll ask my son when I see him. In my opinion, if it was road kill, and done by the local dept, then they'd really take off the heads and not just dump the deer ? I don't think the Dept would be that gruesome. In Orange county, I've seen a lot of jacklighting offenses with 22's to the head. Nice and quiet. Who knows. Could be they just wanted the heads to mount and make a buck possibly. Whatever the reason, it's such a waste.

I gave him two numbers and don't know which one he called.

Also, no cameras were near the site. Doubt they'd park in the lot with all the lights on and it's well lit. Had to come in from the back or side.

Edited by accman

Accman,

Were the deer’s capped?...skinned out? If not, they mostly won't be mounted…you would need to jack a second deer to get a cape…doesn’t make sense. i'm betting road kills...but who knows

Your probably right, but I would think that with the volume of deer carcasses along the highway every day, that they'd have a regular disposal venue to work with and not just ditch em. Talked to my son and he said that a couple were shot in the shoulder. I thought none were shot, but like he says, sometimes I just don't listen. And also, these were big bodied deer, big shoulders, and no little ones, so who knows.

He can't remember the girls name, but he sure remembers the brown hair and blue eyes.

• Like 1

Any cameras near the office or surrounding area ?

This is unbelievable, why did it take this long for them to get out and hardly do anything?

What do they mean by monitor the area, these A-HOLE'S that did this wont be back !

How do you know they were all dumped at the same time?

yeah there was a secluded spot off of an exit on Rt 17 in orange county where the lazy state workers would dump the road kills instead of properly disposing.

In our area , the State Workers don't pick up the road kill . They contract it out for others to take care of the bodies , etc ..

yeah there was a secluded spot off of an exit on Rt 17 in orange county where the lazy state workers would dump the road kills instead of properly disposing.

i dont know about lazy. there's a legitimate dump site in Tully off of 81. like.. that's where they're told to dump them. and i rarely see a dead deer for longer than a week. especially in the more populated areas. but i do see them capped pretty early haha.

Edited by Belo