Do you wear Orange? If so why? If not Why not? :)

TheHunter

I don't know if this fits in here but I was thinking about the crossbow and safety. If the crossbow was allowed in bow season would you feel uncomfortable walking around in full camo? There is a story in Outdoor news about a bolt going through a deer and lodging itself in the side of a house. Don't these things shoot 100 yards? I have questions about whole safety factor here "if" they were allowed in Bow season. Any thoughts?

yup wear orange during bow season.  If it does not spook deer as claimed, what is the big deal wearing it?

I don't know if this fits in here but I was thinking about the crossbow and safety. If the crossbow was allowed in bow season would you feel uncomfortable walking around in full camo? There is a story in Outdoor news about a bolt going through a deer and lodging itself in the side of a house. Don't these things shoot 100 yards? I have questions about whole safety factor here "if" they were allowed in Bow season. Any thoughts?

Same thing could happen if you shot a deer with your bow while it was next to a house.  ;)

i think a bolt and a arrow frm a bow will carry about the same yardage.I was checking into getting an xbow for night time cyote hunting and see that the average xbow is the close to thesame speed as my Mathews, at about 300 fps.Considering the shorter bolt it might carry further but i believe the bolt to weigh close to the same as a good carbon arrow that is about 9 inches longer.

I would say close to the same distance.

Pluss....You still only have one shot.so i don;t believe orange would be as necessary as it would be in gun season.

I don't wear orange during archery, but wear a vest during gun, and a hat and or vest during muzzleloader, i do this on my own property if i am hunting by myself or with friends. I'm not concerend with the people that i hunt with identifying their own target but tresspassers/neighbor's guests or the occasional "lost hunter" not knowing where i am. Its a matter of me wanting to make it to the next hunting season!!!!

Same thing could happen if you shot a deer with your bow while it was next to a house.  ;)

Yea, the article doesn't tell you how close the house was. Although most pass thru shots with the bow don't go very far. My experience is about 10-15 feet.

Not trying to be an alarmist, need to learn more about the crossbow.

Blaze orange is totally your choice. I make sure the other guy can see me. I'm still not sure (even with some of the posts from you guys) that a crossbow isn't as powerful as a bow. I'll give you a scenario that may bring light to wearing blaze orange while bow hunting. At gun season you hear the shot. At bow season you don't. If I hear a shot I know someone is in the vicinity and my awareness go up. Let's just say crossbows are introduced into bow season. You shoot a deer and gutting it out, there is a crossbow hunter 60 yards away. He never heard the shot but can see something going on by the edge of the field. He sees a deer moving, sets up on it and shoots. You are gutting the deer in full camo and blend in to the surroundings. Sounds really far fetched, some of you guys may think I'm nuts. The common thing here is distance, "If" (I still have to research this) the crossbow can shoot further than a bow this could scenario could happen. What are the odds? What were the odds of that little boy being shot by his own hunting party? Again, I'm not an alarmist nor am I against crossbows, I just think if a weapon is introduced into bow season that is much more powerful, you may want to take precautions. Just my thoughts, this is a blaze orange thread.

One more time - a crossbow is no more powerful then a compound bow.

If indeed they where more dangerous, then reports could be found proving so in the

states where they are legal - some for many years. Such reports would be great tools for the anti crossbowers and they would be all over that. If there was proof, you can bet your last dollar NYB would have it all over everywhere - I have never seen them use it.

HAHAHAHAH Wes, check out page 23 or 24 it's already there buddy!  Nice try but by now you should know I'm the first one that will laugh at and poke fun of himself. 

Wes, glad to see you changed your verbage from there WILL be to there MIGHT be. 

Also just saw your very very late post-

"I want to shut a few mouths that called me a liar as well as doubted me... this is the stats on DEC prosecution of violators through out New York for 2010 ... I will not post on here but if you private message me I will send. But you can not post it once you receive it. I paid for it and I have a right to keep it. Do not post !!!!

hahaha I see that whining, being a cranky pants, and a reducing your flare for drama wasn't a new years resolution.