first ice fishing

G-Man

Two inches isn't enough for this old fart..I want at least four inches of good, clear ice.

I agree about the snow, G-Man.. It insulates the ice and it doesn't build nearly as fast.

Shucks, under all that snow the ground isn't even frozen yet.

You guys ever do any good out of wigwam or sandy for that matter. I have fished it many times and there never is any size to the perch there. Dinks every time. Maybe Im hitting it wrong times but never been impressed. When Chamount is safe its worth the trip.

sandy pond has any where from 5 to 8 inches but alot of that is SNOW ICE.I talked to some guys coming off the pond today and they said some spots has 3 inches of black ice and 3 to 4 of snow ice in top of that.Would not take any machines out on it.They didn't catch anything they said.I am going to wait till sunday and i think i might hand tow my shanty out there.

Henderson had a lot of open water and no tracks going out on the ice.I didn't go out to check it but i also read on Iceshanty.com that it was not safe ice yet.

Chaumont bay had alot of open water and the people local bait shop said it is any where from 2-6 inches.Not very safe ice and nothing much being caught that they know of yet.

Checked out Butterfield today. About 2 inches of ice with 2 inches of slush and another 1 inch of ice on top. little too sketchy for me.

my co-worker was out there saturday, said it was great. Went out on sandy pond yesterday, fishing sucked. 4 keepers in 3 hours. 4 and a half inches

• 4 weeks later...