Jump to content

Mute Swans


Recommended Posts

Had two this spring on the big pond at hunting land. Couldn't get close enough for a pic. DEC took some from a pond in manlius and the people there had a fit. It was on the Syracuse news for weeks. https://www.syracuse.com/news/2015/03/new_state_rules_mean_no_more_baby_swans_in_manlius.html

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:


Why do they shoot them?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IIRC Mike Rossi said the were hell on Mallard and other duck species among other reasons.

"A non-native invasive species"

Edited by Lawdwaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:


Then can we please eradicate the cormorants?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whats wrong with the comorants..  just eat fish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whats wrong with the comorants..  just eat fish. 

https://greatlakesecho.org/2018/04/12/people-can-once-again-kill-cormorants/

There were only 125 nesting pairs of Great Lakes cormorants in 1972. Today, there are 40,000 pairs, and they’re causing a big problem on many of the region’s islands. Cormorant colonies have degraded many island habitats, forcing other animals to move on.

Anglers know them as the bird whose numbers blew up in the 1980s after tapping into a nearly bottomless supply of the invasive alewife. They’re incredible divers and can eat one-fourth of their weight in fish each day.

And they’re public enemy number one of many perch anglers, although how many perch they eat is hotly debated, Cooper said. Many know them by a distinct calling card–acidic feces that damages cars and buildings. They also destroy vegetation, stripping trees of leaves for their nests and poisoning the ground with their guano.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:


https://greatlakesecho.org/2018/04/12/people-can-once-again-kill-cormorants/

There were only 125 nesting pairs of Great Lakes cormorants in 1972. Today, there are 40,000 pairs, and they’re causing a big problem on many of the region’s islands. Cormorant colonies have degraded many island habitats, forcing other animals to move on.

Anglers know them as the bird whose numbers blew up in the 1980s after tapping into a nearly bottomless supply of the invasive alewife. They’re incredible divers and can eat one-fourth of their weight in fish each day.

And they’re public enemy number one of many perch anglers, although how many perch they eat is hotly debated, Cooper said. Many know them by a distinct calling card–acidic feces that damages cars and buildings. They also destroy vegetation, stripping trees of leaves for their nests and poisoning the ground with their guano.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Native bird im sure there were millions before European people.hunt them amd eat. Probably taste like buffleheads or mergansers ..fish eaters..  Perhaps we just need lower limits on fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Native bird im sure there were millions before European people.hunt them amd eat. Probably taste like buffleheads or mergansers ..fish eaters..  Perhaps we just need lower limits on fish.

so they taste downright horrid . i know theyve put a hurting on trout hatcheries

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Native bird im sure there were millions before European people.hunt them amd eat. Probably taste like buffleheads or mergansers ..fish eaters..  Perhaps we just need lower limits on fish.

Great idea.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Saw 16 of these at Point Breeze last night.  I don’t think Mike Rossi or the DEC is thrilled about it.   
 

I wonder if they’re edible?!?!

I heard they taste like chicken....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, G-Man said:

And coffee ( the liquid) use to be tossed as well as lobster...

Lobster still should be tossed into the garbage. I'm sure swans are delectable but after a day of shooting them in the summer they don't worry about processing the carcasses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Lobster still should be tossed into the garbage. I'm sure swans are delectable but after a day of shooting them in the summer they don't worry about processing the carcasses.

Why just let officals kill them just open a hunting season  . People will do it and pay to do so. Buying a licence.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...