NRA Quits Working with White House

The NRA showed some guts here. Wonder if they will stand firm and lead, instead of backing down.

“We attended today’s White House meeting to discuss how to keep our children safe and were prepared to have a meaningful conversation about school safety, mental health issues, the marketing of violence to our kids and the collapse of federal prosecutions of violent criminals,” read the NRA Statement. “We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment.”

It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen.

"The NRA says that they will now move on from working with the White House to members of Congress from both parties “who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works – and what does not.”

http://www.mediaite....-2nd-amendment/

Edited by tony m
  • Like 1

I don't get it. What did they do that has people saying "good for them"? They showed up to meeting to talk about how to reduce gun violence, then they are shocked that that actually included a discussion on potential new gun laws, so they put out a silly statement then took their ball and went home. What did I miss?

• Like 1

I don't get it. What did they do that has people saying "good for them"? They showed up to meeting to talk about how to reduce gun violence, then they are shocked that that actually included a discussion on potential new gun laws, so they put out a silly statement then took their ball and went home. What did I miss?

I would guess from their statement that they realized that the President and his merry band of gun-banners were only interested in "potential new gun laws" and not a serious discussion of the problem of societal violence. Yes, it is "good for them" to have quickly recognized the insincerity of this bunch and not waste any more time and effort with these people. I guess that's what you missed.

• Like 1

This is grandstanding by the NRA. They know that if they are portrayed as being a part of any meaningful discussion on sensible gun laws, they will alienate their hardline supporters.

If that were true, they wouldn't have gone to the White House in the first place.

I would guess from their statement that they realized that the President and his merry band of gun-banners were only interested in "potential new gun laws" and not a serious discussion of the problem of societal violence. Yes, it is "good for them" to have quickly recognized the insincerity of this bunch and not waste any more time and effort with these people. I guess that's what you missed.

Oh please. They should grow a set and stay involved in the discussions. What good does walking away do?

I read these responses and Wow that line is so clearly drawn on this issue...they should use it on our southern boarder...I'd laugh but it's sad.....

If the NRA did not keep a representative in the room just for observation they made an error....I find if your in a discussion and you don't like the course it's going and find your input will be dismissed... worse ignored....the best thing to do is fade to the back ground and watch each speaker...listen and learn

The very least that will come of that is...the opposition will not be allowed the thought your willing to walk away...know your enemy well I say

We were not in the room. We do not know the level of arrogance that might have been displayed by the administration. We do not know what kinds of hardline ground rules that were set down in concrete right from the get-go. I do know one thing .... It usually doesn't take a lot of time to discover when your opposition is totally intransigent. And when confronted with that situation, it is foolish to just sit there.

You can't leave or quit because it's to hard! You either need a person with more expertise in their communication skills or at the very least you need someone to observe so the particulars of the meetings can be shared with key people within the NRA.

You would get more political mileage and membership support. You can't leave the room when what is going on in the room has the kind of significance it likely does.

A lot of rabid anti gun people will view this as a victory. I can't imagine this type of response on the part of the NRA serving us positively.

You can't leave or quit because it's to hard! You either need a person with more expertise in their communication skills or at the very least you need someone to observe so the particulars of the meetings can be shared with key people within the NRA.

You would get more political mileage and membership support. You can't leave the room when what is going on in the room has the kind of significance it likely does.

A lot of rabid anti gun people will view this as a victory. I can't imagine this type of response on the part of the NRA serving us positively.

They can't be a part of creating or discussing Gun laws because that would cause many members to leave them along with their money. They need the money to lobby more than any thing else.

I guess I had the nature of this meeting confused. Wasn't this simply a meeting between the NRA and whitehouse representatives? I mean, once the two participants reached a defined impasse, what choice would you have but to leave?

We were not in the room. We do not know the level of arrogance that might have been displayed by the administration. We do not know what kinds of hardline ground rules that were set down in concrete right from the get-go. I do know one thing .... It usually doesn't take a lot of time to discover when your opposition is totally intransigent. And when confronted with that situation, it is foolish to just sit there.

But isn't this administration known for being very flexible on all issues?

I guess I had the nature of this meeting confused. Wasn't this simply a meeting between the NRA and whitehouse representatives? I mean, once the two participants reached a defined impasse, what choice would you have but to leave?

There were more than the NRA and the Whitehouse meeting, no one else stomped away like the NRA.

I believe the NRA said they will use a different angle and meet with Senators, Congressmen and Governors who want to talk openly about solutions. I stand corrected, here is the exact quote:

The NRA says that they will now move on from working with the White House to members of Congress from both parties “who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works – and what does not.”

Edited by nybuckboy

Of course the NRA would walk out. It is to the financial benefit of any lobby group NOT to try to come up with some solutions on the issue they lobby for. You can take any lobby group, be it for or against any issue the goal is NOT to come to a solution on the subject. If a solution would be reached, how would they make their money then?? If you guys haven't noticed yet, it has become the American way NOT to ever come up with any solutions. The goal is simply to keep people fired up enough to throw money at the lobby groups, yet NOTHING will ever get solved.

The NRA says that they will now move on from working with the White House to members of Congress from both parties “who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works – and what does not.”

Sounds like a reasonable move to me. I don't know why they wasted their time attending Biden's meeting in the first place. Everybody knows what he is about.

• Like 1

Of course the NRA would walk out. It is to the financial benefit of any lobby group NOT to try to come up with some solutions on the issue they lobby for. You can take any lobby group, be it for or against any issue the goal is NOT to come to a solution on the subject. If a solution would be reached, how would they make their money then?? If you guys haven't noticed yet, it has become the American way NOT to ever come up with any solutions. The goal is simply to keep people fired up enough to throw money at the lobby groups, yet NOTHING will ever get solved.

Proven business model, just ask any pharmaceutical company.

LOL! That's funny. You think the NRA wants to perpetuate the fight against gun bans as opposed to winning it. Man, talk about paranoia!

The NRA went to the meeting to talk about solutions to the violence that brought this whole issue up. Talking about doing more of what we all know has failed miserably is just plain stupid! That's why they walked out. If you don't think that is correct, you are for more failed gun control at the expense of law abiding gun owners.

You missed the political theater part. The White House never had any intention of working with the NRA. They want to dictate to the NRA and all te rest of us as well!

• Like 1