Turtle rescue off road.

turkeyfeathers

They like the gravel on the edge of rural roads for burying eggs.   I changed course of one last Tuesday.   He wasn’t thrilled about it either.   I’ve seen four this year, more than ever it seems.  

3DC85BA9-011D-48D0-BAF8-441A57187202.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 4

June is the month for snapping turtles to lay their eggs....There is a road within minutes of my house along a marshy area where you can see dozens of them along the road digging in the gravel to lay their eggs...

The softshells are doing it too...I know a gravel beach on Keuka  Lake that I call "turtle beach" because you can often see 50 or more softshells at a time this time of the year doing their thing.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

June is the month for snapping turtles to lay their eggs....There is a road within minutes of my house along a marshy area where you can see dozens of them along the road digging in the gravel to lay their eggs...

The softshells are doing it too...I know a gravel beach on Keuka  Lake that I call "turtle beach" because you can often see 50 or more softshells at a time this time of the year doing their thing.....

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a soft shell turtle.

I got one (by accident)with my bush-hog once.  Surprisingly, it was much less noticeable than a woodchuck, which nearly stalled my old 36 hp tractor.  Just a barely noticeable, soft “thump” from the average sized snapper. 

My old neighbor used to make some pretty good chowder with them.

Edited by wolc123

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a soft shell turtle.

The only place I have seen them here in NY is on the Finger Lakes..They seem to prefer clear water here rather than the swampy areas  where you find snappers...California Ranch on the west side of Honeoye is a good place to see them this time of the year...They are quite wary and will  scramble into the water if you approach too close.They can run really fast compared to other turtles...

• Like 1

7efbe79e16b24e37db28643e5d114b23.jpg
Do you know this place? Up by Mark Twain Golf Course in Elmira? Looked like a good turtle nesting spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The only place I have seen them here in NY is on the Finger Lakes..They seem to prefer clear water here rather than the swampy areas  where you find snappers...California Ranch on the west side of Honeoye is a good place to see them this time of the year...They are quite wary and will  scramble into the water if you approach too close.They can run really fast compared to other turtles...

I've seen them at that point also, maybe we were together at the time?

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

7efbe79e16b24e37db28643e5d114b23.jpg
Do you know this place? Up by Mark Twain Golf Course in Elmira? Looked like a good turtle nesting spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a golfer, so I am not familiar with the course, other than driving past it..However, a golfer friend of mine told about seeing a goose in distress on one of the ponds there..He approached it and saw that a big snapping turtle had latched onto one of its legs... He waded out and beat on the turtle  with a golf club until it released the goose...Hehehe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a young kid my dad took me and my brother fishing at Sandy creek in Pulaski. I was maybe 8 so my brother was 4. My brother caught a sunny and casted it back out without telling my dad that he saw a turtle. Well he hooked the huge snapping turtle and reeled it close to shore where it made a huge splashing commotion. So my dad ran over and before he got to my brother there was a massive water snakes curled right near my brother also lol. The best part is this is all on home video my mom was running the camcorder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1