My favorite Marlin

This is my favorite Marlin levergun.

It is a 1961 336 RC in .35 Remington with a 2X Leupold and see-thru flip up scope caps.
It's a very accurate rifle and has taken many deer. It will never be for sale and will be handed down through the generations in my family.

My336.JPG

• Like 11

No, I bought it from a friend in the 1990's.  He bought it new.  He has passed on now. 

Most often I shoot Federal 200 grain soft points, But I've been reloading other bullets over the years.  I have about 500 rounds for it in stock.  I have some hot 150 grain pointed soft points too, but can only load one in the chamber and one in the tube mag when I use them.  Two shots has always been more than enough though.

• Like 2

I have long had my eye out for a similar vintage 336 in 30-30. At one time of course they were almost a dime a dozen. Now....I know where a few are, sitting back and waiting to pounce! I have a 1961 Winchester 94 which just feels...perfect in the woods, and is lighter, but I cant (wont ) put a scope on it. The 336 will allow me to (just a low power 1.5-2.5 power) .

• Like 1

I have owned (2) Marlin 336’s in 30/30 and hunted with (3), counting my father in law’s.  They sure are nice to carry, up in the Adirondacks, compared to my old, big, heavy Ruger M77 30/06.  Unfortunately, I have yet to take a shot at a deer with any of them.  I blew a golden ,15 yard opportunity with one, on a big Adirondack buck two seasons ago, thanks to this damn smartphone.  

Someday, the stars will align, and I will finally get the chance to see how the 30/30 performs on a deer.  Most say that the .35 Rem outperforms the 30/30, but with current ammo availability issues, I am glad I went with the 30/30.  

My father in laws 336 is a scoped, standard model.  It was missing the thumb extension on the hammer, but I put one on it last time I used it.
I only hunt with that one when the weather is dry.  My own 336 is the shorter “Big Loop” model, which I have set up with fiber optic sights, and use on wet days.  

They are my favorite guns to carry up there, but will only be my “true favorites” after they have a few notches on the stocks.  
BD15B4C0-0B74-4099-8750-6C535C36BCA9.thumb.jpeg.63268c76e25e7f9db39c3c3b908af71b.jpeg

17547AA1-F778-47B6-B1D2-933C73E5F6C9.thumb.jpeg.73ab9cfaf52785ddfd06af2cefda95c1.jpeg

Both of these were made when Remington ran Marlin production.  The fit finish of my father-in-law’s is a little better, and equal to that of the pre-Remington one that I owned long ago.  They must have made that one from old Marlin parts.  My newer “BL” is not quite up to the same standard on fit and finish, but it’s not horrible like some that I have seen.  

I am glad to see that Ruger has now taken over Marlin production.  I have owned Ruger rifles (2) M77’s and a 10/22, for many years with no quality issues whatsoever.