Eastern Sportsman Show

jr.deerslayer

"Due to recent changes made by Reed Exhibitions regarding the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show, Cabela’s will no longer sponsor this year’s event. After careful consideration regarding Cabela’s business practices, and the feelings of our customers, Cabela’s will, unfortunately, not have a presence at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show."

http://fox43.com/2013/01/16/harrisburgs-eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show-bans-tactical-weapons/#axzz2ITF82nXT

....And many vendors following suit.

That sucks, unfortunately I promised my kids we would go, so I have no choice.....

We should expect to see these types of "spineless" moves from companies for quite some time, they are interested in their balance sheet, (which is going to take a hit from people like us) but the powers that be at these companies are caving to the pressure of being politically correct and that is a shame.

• Like 1

Current list of vendors that are not attending or have stated they will not if Reed Expo (the company that runs it) doesn't change their stance.....

2 Million Bullets

Alaska’s Ravencroft Lodge

Arrowhead Outdoors

Athens Archery

Atlantic Tactical

Blaine Anthony, The Bear Whisperer

Boondock Outdoors

Cabela’s

CanCooker

Cross Canyon Arms

Cutting Edge Bullets

Dead Ringer

Direct Action Tactical Firearms

Domari Nolo Defense Consulting

Dominator 365

Droptine Outfitters

DuckWater Boats

Firearms Industry Consulting Group

Fred Eichler – Fulldraw Outfitters

Full Circle Outdoors

HookHunt

Hunters and Guides Connection

Kinsey’s Outdoors

Keystone Country Store

Lancaster Archery Supply

Major League Bowhunter

Midwest Whitetail Adventures

Mountain Dog Chews

Nature Blinds, LLC

Northern Hideaway Outfitters

Northern Outdoor Lodge

Open Season TV

Trop Gun Shop

Ralph & Vicki Cianciarulo – Archers Choice

Stokerized Stabilizers

The Warmbag

Whitetail Bosses

Wired Outdoors

Woodcock Limited of Pennsylvania

Wyvern Creations

X- Stand Treestands

Zook Cabins

http://www.huntingpa...=2932458&page=2

I know of several others that are looking at not showing and mentioned in that thread.

Edited by Dinsdale

Sounds like Reed Exhibitions are a bunch of politically correct pussies. Good for Cabela's. I wouldn't go to that show if they payed me. Every single vendor should boycott that show and tell those politically correct idiots to pound salt. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by ants

Looks like the anti gun lobbies have succeeded in now pitting sportsman against sportsman... there will be many non-gun related businesses that will suffer if show attendance is down... if this was a gun show I could see boycotting the show.. but this is a sportman show. Either way you look at it this is a win for the anti gun, anti hunting whackos. I say attend the show and display your views at the show. Reed is going to have a booth there where you can voice your views on their stance.

Looks like the anti gun lobbies have succeeded in now pitting sportsman against sportsman... there will be many non-gun related businesses that will suffer if show attendance is down... if this was a gun show I could see boycotting the show.. but this is a sportman show. Either way you look at it this is a win for the anti gun, anti hunting whackos. I say attend the show and display your views at the show. Reed is going to have a booth there where you can voice your views on their stance.

That's one way. I say skip the show and don't suppport Reed, and still let them know via email, letter, phone, etc. They do other things than just the sportsman show that are not hunting related. Although the show is huge and largely run well, it's not like Reed is a die-hard hunting-only sports show promoter. This is just one of their many avenues and they're catering to the remainder of their base at the expense of the sports show. It's a pure BS business move and I think it is A-OK for sportsmen not to support a company that isn't firmly in the sportsman's corner.

Other businesses in Harrisburg will do just fine - the farm complex has a ton of shows during the year.

It is a sportsman show put on by a group that has decided to go public with their lack of support for the 2nd.

Sometimes there is collateral damage in a just cause.

Those vendors not going have decided their loss, which for some is a major part of their business, is worth the cost.

Demonstrates just how serious this is.

Good for all who boycott - both vendor and attendee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

That sucks, unfortunately I promised my kids we would go, so I have no choice.....

We should expect to see these types of "spineless" moves from companies for quite some time, they are interested in their balance sheet, (which is going to take a hit from people like us) but the powers that be at these companies are caving to the pressure of being politically correct and that is a shame.

You do know that its in response to the show not allowing anyone to bring or display any "assault style" rifles at the show, right? This is in no way a spineless move.

I will make it a point to do business with the companies taking this stand. We need more of these antis and others bowing to the PC bullsquat being called out.

This is Reeds official statement:

"Clearly, we strongly support the Second Amendment.

However, this year we have made the decision not to include certain products that in the current climate may attract negative attention that would distract from the strong focus on hunting and fishing at this family-oriented event and possibly disrupt the broader positive experience of our guests.

Just doesn't rise to the level of not supporting the 2nd Amendment to me... granted maybe wimpy move on their part, but with many other considerations that need to be addressed concerning the vast majority of other types of outdoor sports vendors and guests in my view... I understand and respect those who choose to make their voice heard by their absence from the show.. I choose to fight the battle by voicing my opinion at the show and not by punishing the other outdoors related vendors.

Yes, wimpy and bowing down to politically correct nonsense. They deserve to be shunned.

I respectfully disagree... a business decision made by a business...their business by the way is promoting all types of shows not just outdoor shows ... How good of a decision? Well that's yet to be seen. Punishing the other vendors that will pay good money to be at the show to sell and promote their product... not a good idea in my view. I understand and respect that everyone has their own opinion on how to handle this... but like it said... the anti gun and hunting whackos will be looking on with a smile on their face either way.

In my mind, voicing your opinion while at their show (supporting it) will not sway them in the least.

At that point they have your money and support.

They are about profit only - effecting their bottom line is the only way to get their attention.

Their action was in response to a complaint by one unnamed vendor.

In my mind, voicing your opinion while at their show (supporting it) will not sway them in the least.

At that point they have your money and support.

They are about profit only - effecting their bottom line is the only way to get their attention.

Their action was in response to a complaint by one unnamed vendor.

That is what businesses are all about.. profit... nobody goes into business for any other reason.. they are not an outdoor related business, their business is promoting trade shows of all kinds... in this case they have many vendors to consider when making their decision. I Personally don't think that their decision rises to the point of me boycotting the show given the nature of their business. If this was the "Shot Show in Vegas" put on by the NSSF I would have an entirely different view based on the nature of the promoter who is a pro gun organization. Or, if I was a gun vendor at the Harrisburg show I might feel differently as well.. I totally get the opinion of others and respect it.. I just dont see it the same way.

Just some backround in that Reed Expo had been advertising a new "tactical and accessories" section this year to use the popularity to book new vendors. Reed also does NSSF's SHOT Show that just finished in Vegas.....largest tactical gun show in the world ironically.....

Here's one vendor and their statement;

Statement from Domari Nolo:

"Domari Nolo has officially pulled our booth from the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show. We apologize to the attendees who were looking forward to seeing us at the show. However, this was just the right thing to do.

Below is our letter to the event organizer, Reed Exhibitions:

Due to the last minute changes in the show's complexion and restrictions, we do not believe being a part of the show reflects on our company in a positive way. In particular, the removal of the promised Tactical section and renaming of that part of the event in a way that belittles the efforts of companies involved is unacceptable.

We would not have agreed to be included in a 'Wild West' area had that been the original agreement. Our sponsors also do not want such an association, and have pulled their support of our show presence. Continuing in the show would put us in direct conflict with our vendors and partners.

Besides the financial loss these changes have caused, we are also not being informed of the new regulations. As an exhibitor, we feel appropriate communication from the show organizer is a reasonable expectation. The website information available is not sufficient for us to be prepared, nor were we able to get specific information from the customer service staff.

We regret the need to take these actions, but given the circumstance we feel we are left without an acceptable alternative."

Have to admit to being in a quandry along Antlers lines.....was to meet with a small outfitter and a first timer to ESOS. My potential booking would go a long way for the expense if we go ahead with an agreement.

Hopefully the blowback is enough to sway a reconsideration of policy......there are MANY threads on a similar PA board about this. And it created a small buzz at SHOT behind the scenes with many vendors late last week, I just talked to one.

If this was the "Shot Show in Vegas" put on by the NSSF I would have an entirely different view based on the nature of the promoter who is a pro gun organization. Or, if I was a gun vendor at the Harrisburg show I might feel differently as well.. I totally get the opinion of others and respect it.. I just dont see it the same way.

Reed marketed a new section of the show expressly to these vendors then last moment had a change with just 2 weeks out. Not exactly kosher to vendors.

NSSF is the owner of SHOT....but Reed does that shows logistics and promotion.

From a post on AT:

THIS MAY SHINE A LITTLE LIGHT ON THIS EASTERN OUTDOOR EXPO

Did you know.... Reed Elsevier is the actual company The exhibitions division is Reed Exhibitions...

They are also involved with the New York Times and supporting the gun control.

There have been suits/petitions filled against them by Members of the medical and scientific communities, which purchase and use many journals published by Reed Elsevier, agitated for the company to cut its links to the arms trade.

Two UK academics, Dr. Tom Stafford of Sheffield University and Dr Nick Gill, launched petitions calling on Reed Elsevier to stop organizing arms fairs.

A subsidiary, Spearhead, organised defense shows, including an event where it was reported that cluster bombs and extremely powerful riot control equipment were offered for sale.

......... this is just a start to it all... if you look them up, they have extensive involvements with the government and rely on support from our government, so now it is all falling together as to why they are truly backing the government on this gun ban and NOT the American and our Amendments!

Your situation is exactly my point.. there is a lot more here to consider... I think the vendor you sited made a good business decision not to continue with the show... but again it was a business decision. I'm curious if the vendors had to sign a contract stating that they would not make any reference to "assualt weapons" at the show or if they were just asked not to sell or display them. Have you heard anything?

From a post on AT:

THIS MAY SHINE A LITTLE LIGHT ON THIS EASTERN OUTDOOR EXPO

Did you know.... Reed Elsevier is the actual company The exhibitions division is Reed Exhibitions...

They are also involved with the New York Times and supporting the gun control.

There have been suits/petitions filled against them by Members of the medical and scientific communities, which purchase and use many journals published by Reed Elsevier, agitated for the company to cut its links to the arms trade.

Two UK academics, Dr. Tom Stafford of Sheffield University and Dr Nick Gill, launched petitions calling on Reed Elsevier to stop organizing arms fairs.

A subsidiary, Spearhead, organised defense shows, including an event where it was reported that cluster bombs and extremely powerful riot control equipment were offered for sale.

......... this is just a start to it all... if you look them up, they have extensive involvements with the government and rely on support from our government, so now it is all falling together as to why they are truly backing the government on this gun ban and NOT the American and our Amendments!

So basically you're saying that there should have been a boycott for all of the Harrisburg shows prior as well. Shame on all the vendors that waited this long to look into the background of a company who's show they have been doing for many many years. This boils down to everyone involved will now make a decision on how they will approach the Eastern Sports show from here on... possibly to have the show disappear all together without a promoter with the financial where-with-all to put on such a huge show... with the same possibility of the Shot Show experiencing the same level of boycott because of the promoter.. the bottom line is that Reed will continue on their way without any sporting shows and still survive. While the anti gun, anti hunting. anti fishing tree hugger organizations sit back and laugh at the sportsman that stubborned their way into oblivion. We have many many avenues to fight the good fight for our 2nd amendment rights without losing outdoor shows we hold dear because of the business decisions of a promoter. The left's plan of divide and conquer is slowly taking hold.

I'm curious if the vendors had to sign a contract stating that they would not make any reference to "assualt weapons" at the show or if they were just asked not to sell or display them. Have you heard anything?

It's my understanding they sent out a statement to these particular vendors that any advertising banners that depicted evil black weapons, and the guns/magazines would no longer be permitted for display.

Non compliance would mean removal from the show.

I'm guessing there will be a class action with several vendors suing Reed for breach of contract.

Frankly I'm sure there was political pressure behind the scenes with the venue being the PA Farm Show Complex.

NRA is staying for the show in their statement; PA guys are taking that as wishy washy. NRA says take a stand and go no holds bar to make a stand......unleash the dogs. Now they say go ahead and be there to get the word to Reed your not happy when there. But many take it that they want the membership money as PA has a large part of national numbers and they do well there.

Like you said.....business.

NRA wishy washy???? Business decision maybe... but why forego an opportunity to gather more NRA members. I say if the vendors only punishment will be removel from the show.. then why not do the show and post signs at their booth stating their view on Reeds position to all those that are there.. as long as there are no guns pictured or displayed... what better place to voice your opinion? That way the focus is directed towards Reed and not the show and what it stands for. Why not let the show be the battle ground... the news will be all over that one.

So basically you're saying that there should have been a boycott for all of the Harrisburg shows prior as well.

Not at all.

Saying they are showing their true colors and in doing so deserve the reaction and not support at this point.

They have brought their politics to the show.

If they rescind and run their show in a non political manner, then we move ahead.

If they don't, the list of non attendees should double + for next year.