Whats so hard about passing yearling bucks?

punch

Yeah they are smart because they are older.. you don't see many big bucks during the day because you shot the potential big bucks years ago and continue to shoot the bucks before they get a chance to be big. A big argument for shooting small bucks is "If I let him walk the neighbor will just shoot him anyway, then the neighbors says the same thing about his neighbor so everone keeps killing small buvks because they think thats what their neighbor will do. How about instead you stop shooting small bucks and tell your neighbor, then maybe the neighbor will stop shooting small bucks because he knows his neighbor will let them walk too. Just a thought.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.  However, now the case seems to be in our area with AR, the opposite.  Now me and the neighbors that surround us are going hrmm... I see that 6 ptr, I can shoot that 6ptr, but you know what, I'm going to pass on that 6ptr because I know there are bigger deer out there now. 

I have hunted trophy deer during the rut and guess what - they taste like crap.  I have tried everything including caping them right away and removing all fat and aging them in cheesecloth - they are still relatively tough and gamey.

That is why I gladly shoot young bucks - preferably after the rut. When you kill a buck instead of a doe, consider that a doe usually has two deer in her.

I have hunted trophy deer during the rut and guess what - they taste like crap.  I have tried everything including caping them right away and removing all fat and aging them in cheesecloth - they are still relatively tough and gamey.

That is why I gladly shoot young bucks - preferably after the rut. When you kill a buck instead of a doe, consider that a doe usually has two deer in her.

One guy I know went to Iowa last year and shot a very nice buck, 4.5 years old and around 160+ inches. He shot that deer smack in the middle of the rut while it was chasing a doe. I got 10 lbs of the meat, and let me tell you, it tasted just as delicious as any young buck or doe I have ever eaten.

When you kill that buck, please remember how many does they tend to breed and how many future deer you are taking out of the pool.  ;)

I dont always agree with NYantler, but hes got it right, you ARE pretty darn entertaining.  :P

I would have to agree on the taste.  Big deer or small deer, they can ALL be good.  What makes the taste is game care and the cooking. The guys who say older deer taste like shoe leather probably can't cook worth a darn and would probably make the finest cut of beef taste bad also.

and even better is comparing veal to milk cows----who are breed for their milk producing characteristics and NOT their meat value....IF Dad was a butcher for 30 years and sold milk cows for beef, I am surprised he stayed in business

I can clearly see you have no idea about the beef business.  Veal is taken from just about any breed of calf that you could imagine and let me tell you most of them are not from beef cattle calves.  Most are bull dairy calves.

and even better is comparing veal to milk cows----who are breed for their milk producing characteristics and NOT their meat value....IF Dad was a butcher for 30 years and sold milk cows for beef, I am surprised he stayed in business

I can clearly see you have no idea about the beef business.  Veal is taken from just about any breed of calf that you could imagine and let me tell you most of them are not from beef cattle calves.  Most are bull dairy calves.

Reread my post ADK----I understand that veal comes from most all breeds...but USDA Beef does not come from milk producing breeds...so I guess you can't clearly see...lol

Reread my post ADK----I understand that veal comes from most all breeds...but USDA Beef does not come from milk producing breeds...so I guess you can't clearly see...lol

No I can clearly see, see that you are wrong.  USDA inspected means an animal is healthy and disease free an fit for human consumption.  I (or anyone) can bring a jersey steer or any other dairy breed of cattle for that matter to a meat processor that is a certified USDA inspected business for butcher and sell the meat as "beef".  So just because "beef" is USDA inspected does not mean it didn't come from a dairy breed animal.

I agree but prime, choice and select grading (USDA standards)based on fat appearance, marbling and overall finishing is not going to happen in milk breeds. Besides the genetics the dietary intake is diferent and the dollars required to try to finish a dairy brred to a higher standard is not worth it financially. That is why they are used in veal....the preparation costs are not there and are worth it.

That is why if dairy cattle make it to the market it is usually for the use in lean ground beef

In my hunting group, we sometimes have a hard time passing up spikes. Especially in bow season. I still haven't taken my first bow buck, and on top of that the guys who the property dont let us take does. That makes it even harder to watch them walk by.

This thread is so depressing..it is amazing to see how many lack self control....just gimmee gimmee quick quick.....

What you call lack of self control others call hunting....and well with in their legal right issued by the state in the form of a license.

Don't get to close to the edge of that pedestal you are putting yourself on....falls can hurt