ammo and lack of

There are 4-5 local gun shops in the Albany area in addition there are 3 Dick's and 3 Wall-marts.  Inventory in NOT getting to the stores so how are people hoarding?  And what is on the shelf is ridiculously priced!

inventory gets to the stores, it get scooped up as soon as they open. I know of a few groups that are doing it around here. They seem to have the "inside scoop" from employees as to what days the stock comes in, then they wait for them to open or put it on the shelves and bam, they buy it all. I actually havent noticed much of a rise in prices at regular retailers, but I have heard of LGSs buying it and selling at inflated prices.

Currently, I have no interest in factory ammo. But I am hurting for reloading components. Apparently that is being hoarded. Even the kinds of powder that I use is impossible to locate.

I've got to say that that is one heck of a lot of hoarding. It sure sounds like more than just a few guys out here filling their houses with rifles, bullets and components. In fact it almost sounds unbelieveable in scope. particularly if it is true that manufacturers are maxed out.

Its a nation wide issue Doc, not just NY.

A few months ago I was in Florida, so I stopped at some local shops and big box stores there, same situation as up here. I also stopped at some shops on my way back up I95, same deal in GA, SC, NC, s I stopped looking.

There are guys out there saying the government is buying it all up, its a conspiracy, yadd yadda yadda. Those guys need to take their tin foil hats off.

Its a nation wide issue Doc, not just NY.

A few months ago I was in Florida, so I stopped at some local shops and big box stores there, same situation as up here. I also stopped at some shops on my way back up I95, same deal in GA, SC, NC, s I stopped looking.

There are guys out there saying the government is buying it all up, its a conspiracy, yadd yadda yadda. Those guys need to take their tin foil hats off.

Yup, I know it's a nationwide condition, but it still seems like a pretty extreme situation. It's hard to believe that manufacturers are cranking out stuff as fast as possible and still hardly anybody is able to beat these hoarders to the stores. It all seems way out of scale. It makes you wonder just how many of these hoarders there are. They must be heavily blanketing the whole country. Just think of the volume of bullets of all calibers and makes and the components (again all calibers, manufacturers, powder formulations, sizes and other variations), these guys must have accumulated already. The variations and combinations of these things poses a monstrous volume of stock. It's staggering! Oh, and by the way, I wonder if Canada is in the same situation ..... other countries? Anybody heard?

I think I have spent more money on ammo, then food the last couple of months. With NY requiring background checks starting next Jan is one of the reasons. As dealers can charge up to $10 for a background check on ammo.

Last week I got 22 magnums at Walmart

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

Hey Doc, the same companies that make loaded ammo make the components as well. So if they are loading all the ammo they can, they are using their components up as well.  bullets are becoming more available  powders if your flexible, and primers....not so much. what in particular are you looking for?

price inflation is def an issue as well. I was buying .22 long rifle ammo (thunder bolt) at gander for $19.99 for a brick of 500 rounds. first off gander doesnt have any stock of .22 any more and the few people that had them in stock jacked the price up to $100 for the same brick of 500.So far I dont seem to have a probelm finding ammo for my .270 however some of the brands that were $18.99 and now 29.99. luckly for me I have ZERO issue getting slugs for my deer gun. Lightfield hybrid(white box) gander has tons and at the same price as always.. I can deal with being short on ammo for some of my other firearms but I wouldnt be able to deal if I didnt have slugs to hunt with..........

yes hording is a problem.  I recently read an AR 15 book and the author suggested you have 8-10k rounds on hand not including reloading supplies.  I think that seems to be the magical number for horders.  8-10k .223 or 5.56 rounds.  Same with .22 LR

I see that a lot of you are having issues finding ammo. I know the 22 LR are basically obsolete from the stores because people seem to think making 100 a brick on auction sites are the way to go.To each there own.......

Anyways when all this stuff started I myself started doing some research on ammunition makers ! What I foiund was surprising. I have lived in western NY for about 22 years and never new that we have a munitions company here in Buffalo.

So I guess I will let go of one of my secrets because these guys are freaking awesome. Anything that I have purchased has been mailed to my front door within 2-3 days. The funniest thing is the TED NUGENT AMMO is made here!

Well here you go and they have a lot of AMMO IN STOCK , They also sell factory seconds and keep checking back every couple days because I have been able to buy 2 for 1 on certain days 357 Mags cost me 10 a box. They have 50 round boxes of 223 for 35 bucks.

So good luck and happy hunting http://www.pierceoutfitters.com/poShop/

Most of the shortages relate to pistol ammo.  I don't know what to believe.  But isn't it hard to believe that a few hoarders could cause such an issue?  The gun shops around me are telling me they just can't get inventory. I don't think larger retailers (Dick's Gander etc.) are getting enough to matter, maybe a few boxes of mixed calibers. Also, keep in mind everyone I've shopped at has a limit to how much you can purchase.  It's just hard to believe either way.....

Wow I see that a lot of you are having issues finding ammo. I know the 22 LR are basically obsolete from the stores because people seem to think making 100 a brick on auction sites are the way to go.To each there own.......

Anyways when all this shit started I myself started doing some research on ammunition makers ! What I foiund was surprising. I have lived in western NY for about 22 years and never new that we have a munitions company here in Buffalo.

So I guess I will let go of one of my secrets because these guys are freaking awesome. Anything that I have purchased has been mailed to my front door within 2-3 days. The funniest thing is the TED NUGENT AMMO is made here!

Well here you go and they have a lot of AMMO IN STOCK , They also sell factory seconds and keep checking back every couple days because I have been able to buy 2 for 1 on certain days 357 Mags cost me 10 a box. They have 50 round boxes of 223 for 35 bucks.

So good luck and happy hunting http://www.pierceoutfitters.com/poShop/

Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of that brand of ammo before and maybe the "hoarders" haven't either .... yet. They seem to have most of the more popular calibers. The only disappointment that I had was in their components. The selection was very sparce. Reloading components is where my need is right now. The problem with reloading is that the recipe is very specific and interchanging components is not really an option once you have a successful load worked out. So sizes, makes, materials, formulations and styles are all exactly important.

But anyway, if they truly have all the stuff in stock that they advertise, you have indeed found a rare source. Thanx for that.

Good to hear hector, the issue slowly seems to be going away as the chance of sweeping gun legislation on a nationwide scale fades away. I have been watching a site that updates frequently and lists what is available, and ammo seems to be becoming more available, and sells out at slower rates now.

I wouldnt be surprised if the ammo background checks gets ammended and it all will boil down to a simple scan of your drivers license at time of purchase. What they do now for certian over the counter cold medications.

I wouldnt be surprised if the ammo background checks gets ammended and it all will boil down to a simple scan of your drivers license at time of purchase. What they do now for certian over the counter cold medications.

That's a great idea for all back-ground checks including gun purchases. Why not tie the driver license system to the back-ground checking systems and cut out all the time wasting paperwork?