ammo and lack of

How can they leave a law on the books that forces requirements that cannot be done because of lack of program funding? Isn't that defacto banning of ammo?

No. If you look at the law it says the background checks start on the date or when the system is in place. If its not in place, no background checks.

Pre-SAFE, I was paying $20 for a box of 525 Remingtons.  That comes out to .038¢ a round.  I'll do cartwheels right now if I can have .046¢ a round shipped to my house at this point.  Driving a hour to a shop to find out their self is empty?  That's why I don't even bother checking unless I have another reason for going to the shops.

Things must be improving.  I went to Dick's to get my son a new tennis racquet and I said let's just go upstairs and see if there's ammo.  Figured I was wasting my time.  Asked for 9mm's or .22's and I was shocked when the kid said he had 2 choice of 9mm but no .22's.  I bought 3 boxes of Remington FMJ 115 gr [email protected].   Well that's a start, first time they had ammo in the past 6 visits.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how about re-loading components? Are they still scarce? Anyone find a good source of pieces and parts where you don't have to start changing your favorite recipes to suit availability?

There is another question that I haven't seen answered yet. Does the "back-ground check" on ammunition apply to components, or is it only finished ammunition? That is going to take a lot of the economy out re-loading if mail-order procurement is made impossible because of a background-check requirement. I am assuming that back-ground checks will need in-person sales with all the appropriate paper work to prove you are who you say you are.

Just got done talking to a relative who is up visiting from North Carolina. The first question he asked is, Are you guys having any problems getting ammunition up here?" Apparently they have the same exact problem as we do. Severe rationing and empty shelves within a short time of deliveries. Interesting.

Anyone finding any changes in availability of ammo or components yet?

The local Gander hasn't gotten in any 22 ammo for the past 2 weeks but they seem to be getting in a little more rifle (mostly hunting rounds)  and pistol ammo. The selection isn't that great though. for 9mm all they had was 25 round packs of hydro shocks $30. 40cal. only in 25 round packs of golden sabers $30. 45ACP 50 round boxes of Rem 185 gr. jhp $42 No cheap stuff for target shooting but  at least they had something. 

This GM store seems to never have anything when I go there.  I dont know if they keep any ammo "out back" so that if someone were to buy a gun, they might be able to buy some ammo with it?!?  I do know their shelves are pitiful at best. The local Walmart is about the same.  Elite Guns in N.Syracuse is rumored to be closing and moving to Texas, so that leaves us folks in the Syracuse area with about nothing.

The local Gander hasn't gotten in any 22 ammo for the past 2 weeks but they seem to be getting in a little more rifle (mostly hunting rounds)  and pistol ammo. The selection isn't that great though. for 9mm all they had was 25 round packs of hydro shocks $30. 40cal. only in 25 round packs of golden sabers $30. 45ACP 50 round boxes of Rem 185 gr. jhp $42 No cheap stuff for target shooting but  at least they had something. 

As someone who travels the state for work and has been looking for ammo all around things are dire, but I do not think it is due to lack of product but more demand and hoarding.  I have walked in 5 or 6 times when x store has just got their ammo and it does not last 20 mins.  I was in one store in March buying a new turkey shotgun and the store got 24 22cal Brazer 500 packs.  I got one and by the time I had filled out the paperwork and gone through the background check all the packs were gone at 12:00 am on a work day.  The Gander  in Utica has 50-60 people standing in line at 6:00 on ammo day with no idea of what ammo is coming in. 

I for one will continue to buy 22lr and 22mag rounds until I have 10,000 rounds and 2,000 for my mag.  Not because I think the world is going to end but rather I want to be able to plink and play with my sons.  As long as people feel they might not be able to by ammo at will and they are scared about NY Safe ACT Ammo rules ammo is going to be impossible to get.  NY is not the only problem but we do have a lot of people in upstate that have 5-10- firearms and use them all year round.

If you are willing to go store to store and city to city then you can find most things but 223/556 but it is not easy.  Albany has more Centerfire Rounds then Utica cause less people hunt.  Syracuse tends to have a different selection but you have to go around.  Also understand that some store like Gander keep 33, 9mm, 223 rounds behind the counter if they have them so you have to ask.

Lately 12ga shotshells are getting hard to find but 2 months ago you could find them everywhere.  270, 30-06,7mm, other centerfire rounds are getting easier to find.  Things are real bad but don't think that tone of ammo is not flying off the shelves everywhere and until all of us either have what we want or stop think we will not be able to find it, it is not going to change

People are hoarding ammo because they figure that they may not always be able to get it. Well, think about it. They're right ..... you can't get it anymore, or at least it is not guaranteed that you will always be able to. So people are trying to lay-in a lifetime supply whenever they can get ahold of it. Sure, I see how this is a self-creating crisis, but who can blame them. I just wish that I had done a little more hoarding myself back when I could. The problem a lot of people are having is determining when they really have enough.