Antis attack hunting coyotes with hounds

How Coyote Hunting with Dogs is Done

Most people don't really know how coyote hunting with dogs is done. They assume that it is a quick and humane death for the coyote and lots of fun for the dogs. NOT SO. Watch this video: Download Wp9lR6A4_c0

In the summer, they are trained on penned fox and coyotes. Yes, pens where the fox and coyotes have no chance to escape. The pens are lined with electrified fence that will deliver a strong shock to any animal that touches it. There are tubes and large pipes that the foxes and coyotes can use to hide in, but these are often blocked before the dogs are let loose so that the coyotes and foxes can not run into them to escape the dogs. There are photos taken by the hunters of their dogs killing the helpless foxes and coyotes outside of the blocked tubes. The pens are used during the "off season", usually the hot summer months. Be sure to check out the website http://www.coyoterescue.org/ for more info on the use of live foxes and coyotes to train dogs.

The hunters fasten GPS tracking devices to their dogs collars. The GPS tells the hunter where their dog is. It doesn't control where it goes or what it chases, or anything else the dog does. The dogs are taken to an area where they might cross a coyote track. These areas have often been baited with deer carcasses in prior weeks. This helps insure the dog will find a track. Once a track is found, the dogs are released to follow it. They go wherever the tracks go - across your property, across county and state property, and across posted land whether or not permission has been granted by the landowner. Often the dogs change course if they see another species, such as deer or fox and chase that too. You need to know that it is illegal for these hunters to allow their dogs to run on or across your land without your express written permission. If you see their trucks with the dog boxes in the back, chances are, they are trespassing. Get license plate numbers! You can call your State Troopers, Sheriffs, Conservation Law Officers and make a complaint. Chances are these trespassers will be gone before help arrives and they count on that, so get license plate numbers and give them to the law enforcement. Press charges too, or the guys will be back the following weekend doing it again. Make sure your property is well posted so the charges stick!

What a lot of people don't know is how the coyote is actually killed. Teams of fresh dogs are used to run the coyote to exhaustionsometimes for as many as 8 hours. The guys use their GPS devices to watch the location of the dogs, then drive their trucks to the closest location and drop fresh dogs. If they see the coyote run across the road or across a field, they will try to cripple it with a shot to the hip. This is done so that the dogs can now catch the crippled coyote. The "Kill dogs" are released on the coyote and the helpless crippled coyote is torn apart as the hunters encourage their dogs to kill their cousin. The hunters use encouragement such as "Git that Yote, good boy!" as the dogs bite and attack the coyote. Often as many as 6 or more dogs are used to tear the living wounded coyote to bits. This violent, torturous death can take 20 minutes, sometimes more. When that coyote is dead or near death, the dogs are sent to go find another track. Here is a video to show you Download 1JfqB_s3pAo Don't fall for the "this is tradition" defense. I don't recall GPS tracking devices and automobiles being used by our fore fathers, do you?

Check out the files on this site that are full of photos. Notice that in most of the photos you can see the shot placement in the hind legs, sometimes the shoulder area. The hunters are good shots and are very careful to only wound, not kill the coyote. They want their dogs "to get some chewing in" as they call it. Watching the scene is worse than watching a pitbull fight, which is of course, illegal. So why is killing coyotes with dogs legal in every state in the USA? Because not enough people know about it and how inhumane it is. These are the lowest of the low hunters. These hunters do not go for the quick humane kill like ethical hunters do. They take pleasure in torturing and maiming their prey. Their own dogs are often wounded in the process, but they don't care. Many of their dogs race across roads in front of cars during the chase- putting human lives and of course the dogs lives at risk.

Do you own property in the country that you don't have constant watch over? There is a good chance that the coyote hunters are using your property for their sadistic bloodsport. Start watching, inform your neighbors and local law enforcement. Post your property well and have neighbors watch for the hunters trucks for you. Get those license plate numbers and press charges. These hunters have no respect for wildlife, no respect for posted property and certainly no respect for you. Download Yotehunt004-1

I share much of the same views on that subject and I'm anything but an anti hunter. I didn't realize they actually let the dogs get the kill. I always thought they were gunned down "firing line style".

I don't try to tell people what's right & wrong, but to me it's not all that sporting. I realize some guys abide by the game/property laws, but many don't and that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of law abiding hunters. I guess my stance on this is partly due to being a die hard predator hunter(caller) with a healthy respect for my quarry.

Like I've said before, it's just not for me.

In the words of Montgomery Gentry, "you do your thing, I'll do mine".

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

First off let me start by saying if you have never done it you have no right to believe anything. We have been running coyoted with the hounds for about 7 years now. To begin.. in the pens the coyotes are rarely ever killed because they have so many places to run into and hide. When in the field we don't place shots on running coyotes we try to kill them and most hit them in the hind quarters because of not enough lead in front of them. Most people that run hounds have permission from a lot of the farmers and a lot of area so they don't have problems with tresspassing. yes it may happen where the dog runs through but you avoid that property and go to the next where you do have permission. There is no law about your dog running through a property. We don't send in the kill dogs. When new dogs are put down it is to protect those down first from being injured either from running for so long or having the coyote turn on them. If a hound bays a coyote someplace we use the GPS to get there and we dispatch the coyote ourselves. So to the antis out there get over yourselves we are not tresspassing on everyones property, and we are not creating bloodbaths of defenseless coyotes so leave us alone!

So are you against all hunting with dogs?

See that's the thing, no I'm not. It just irks me when my sport(predator hunting) gets a bunch of flack because of irresponsible houndsmen.

The landowners who are paying the property tax are the ones who should be able to condemn or condone the legality of unfamiliar dogs on their land. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "against" it, just not for it. I take my hunting rights seriously and am not gonna stand by and let a few people ruin it. Again, I understand not all houndsmen are irresponsible.

We could easily compare this issue to hydrofracking. Us New Yorkers are suffering from a few mishaps down in PA.

First off let me start by saying if you have never done it you have no right to believe anything.

That's a tyrranical statement, but I understand you're just standing up for your sport. Same here.

Lets aks our fellow NYS deer hunters, would they want dogs running deer from Oct.1st- mid Dec. while they are trying to hunt deer? I wouldn't, and that's where I'm at with this topic. Again, I'm not going against houndsmen, but I have every right to my beliefs and just want to preserve my sport.

That is a bunch of BS. Coming from someone who has actually done it, that is not how we hunt them. Also, the hounds we hunt with were not trained the way mentioned. We hunt only land that we have permission. Huge pieces because almost everyone gives permission to hunt coyotes where we hunt in Delaware county. We also don't even start to hunt them until deer season is completely over, not starting october like someone mentioned. Nobody shoots to intentionally wound a coyote, almost all are killed by the shooters. Occasionally one will bay up and will get killed by the dogs, but rarely. The dogs are released on a fresh track, hopefully after a fresh snow. Dogs do have gps collars so the handler knows exactly where they are and whats going on. Once they jump one you can hear the differnce in the hounds. The coyotes will usually start to circle and we get shooters in position for the shot. Sometimes the dogs are right on the coyote, most times the coyote is out ahead quite a bit. Not very different than rabbit hunting. Most landowners are more than happy to let us coyote hunt on their property, it's the only way to really control them besides trapping.

• Like 3

We respect land owners decisions to let us hunt or not. There's little that can be done to stop the dogs from "trespassing" while chasing game, but we do our best to stay as far as possible from the properties that don't want us hunting. most of us that hunt coyotes with hounds are responsible and respectful of others property rights and wishes. It's too bad theres a few bad eggs out there giving us a bad name.

• Like 1

That is a bunch of BS. Coming from someone who has actually done it, that is not how we hunt them .

We also don't even start to hunt them until deer season is completely over, not starting october like someone mentioned

Speaking as a fellow hunter who wants the threats against all predator hunting to cease, I don't think you can speak for all houndsmen because from what you wrote you sound as if you keep it clean and abide by laws. So the antis must not be talking of you. If the antis claims are truly unfounded, then awareness of the truth should be publicly announced so that the treehugging anti hunter/ anti gun people can be proven wrong.

When I posted this--"Lets ask our fellow NYS deer hunters, would they want dogs running deer from Oct.1st-mid Dec. while they are trying to hunt deer? I wouldn't,and that's where I am with this topic".

I simply meant that people hunting deer with dogs all throughout deer season would make most deer hunters quite upset. Right? So why should predator hunters have to put up with it?

Yes, only hunting on private land is one thing and I commend you in striving for that, but can you guarantee 100% that a dog will not cross my boundary and upset my hunt? That scenario in reverse would be like me catching your dog and chaining it to the guardrail til' you tracked it down, loaded him in the truck, and go home without a coyote.

The antis are standing up against our hunting privledges, not because I go sit in the woods with a call and a rifle. You don't see,hear, or smell me because I'm off the road, on private land and bothering no one. There is a battle going on with antis and I don't take too kindly to my sport being threatened!

For you guys who spoke up and defended hunting with hounds, awesome! That's what needs to happen! Don't think for a minute that anti hunters will back off. If their claims are not rebuked, they will take that as an admittance to what you're doing is wrong.

Whew! I'm outta' breath after that! :scenic: Night folks, I'm goin' yote huntin' tonight

Edited by PREDATE

Mike Rossi, why is it that every thing you post, seems to be politically correct? That website, is the same bunch of loons that wanted to ban the coyote hunting contest in New Mexico, I believe. Simply put, they're a bunch of liberal lunatics.

Mike Rossi, why is it that every thing you post, seems to be politically correct? That website, is the same bunch of loons that wanted to ban the coyote hunting contest in New Mexico, I believe. Simply put, they're a bunch of liberal lunatics.

That's all he ever posts is articles.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

You guys are shooting the messenger.

He isn't posting articles because he supports them.

That was kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought he was just posting a heads-up on what the anti-hunters are up to.

• Like 1

That's a tyrranical statement, but I understand you're just standing up for your sport. Same here.

Lets aks our fellow NYS deer hunters, would they want dogs running deer from Oct.1st- mid Dec. while they are trying to hunt deer? I wouldn't, and that's where I'm at with this topic. Again, I'm not going against houndsmen, but I have every right to my beliefs and just want to preserve my sport.

No one as far as I know starts running hounds until after deer season ends.