Primer Availability?

I was in a local gun shop today and spotted a sign.........."Primers/Bullets"  Buy 100 bullets, then you can buy 100 primers!  Thats the deal. Primers not sold any other way!  Love it or leave it.

We are so phucked.............................................

Edited by Lawdwaz

I was in a local gun shop today and spotted a sign.........."Primers/Bullets"  Buy 100 bullets, then you can buy 100 primers!  Thats the deal. Primers not sold any other way!  Love it or leave it.

GOOD!!!!!! this keeps the gun broker resellers from buying up everything on site so we can actually get some when we need them. besides if you need primers you need bullets. so its a win win all the way around. i know of another shop that always has .22s at a reasonable price (everyday)i asked him what kinda of deal he had to strike with the devil to make that happen, he said he didnt. he keeps no more then 2 boxes of shells on the shelf. someone comes in, and buys them, 15 to 20 min. later he puts out a couple more. it keeps the hoarders and profitteers from taking advantage of the turbulent times. i wish more places did this. it would help slow things down the panic ang get things back in check.

I see you been on Harlem road then. LOL

Sent you a PM....

CRAP  !!  I'm down to a few hundred primers..

Wish I had known enough to buy another 1000 when they were available..

I'll have to leave a few empty casings under my pillow..

Maybe the PRIMER FAIRY will leave me a couple hundred WLRs...

CRAP  !!  I'm down to a few hundred primers..

Wish I had known enough to buy another 1000 when they were available..

I'll have to leave a few empty casings under my pillow..

Maybe the PRIMER FAIRY will leave me a couple hundred WLRs...

the funny part is ive bought 8000 primers so far this year, not to hoard, but the price was just to good to pass up, lr, sr, lp, and shot. i didnt pay more then $25 a thousand. half of them i bought at a gun show, 2k at a hardware store, and the sr i bought when a guy sold his ar to comply and got rid of his reloading stuff for it. there out there just got to be paying attention!

You know this nonsense is starting to look more and more like a permanent situation. The antis are getting their way, and it appears to be at our own hands. You really can find a better way to get rid of gun usage than getting rid of the ammo to shoot out of them. Really, anybody see any end to all this. It's been quite a few months  and no sign of the availability getting any better.

What the heck is wrong with these ammo manufacturers. Why aren't they putting on extra shifts and pulling in all the extra cash. If I had a product that I couldn't keep on the shelf, I would raise the price a little and start adding production and "get rich quick".

What the heck is wrong with these ammo manufacturers. Why aren't they putting on extra shifts and pulling in all the extra cash.

You ain't gonna believe this Doc, but the answer to your question is right in front of your nose.  Actually it is right above your post............

Guys that have plenty of money just figured the heck with it, I'll hoard them.  Big deal, spend a couple hundred dollars and get more primers then they could shoot in a lifetime, more than they have EVER loaded in their life to this point.

Same with .22 ammo.  Guys that haven't shot 5,000 rounds in 40 years on this planet now have 5-7,000 rounds.  If a guy stumbles into a store, then finds they have (fill in the blank)_____________on their shelves and they have a few bucks burning a hole in their Wranglers, and blamooooo,  they snatch 'em up.  End result?   Empty shelves. 

Ammo and component manufacturers are working at full capacity.  They could probably double capacity right now and guys would STILL inhale everything that was put on a shelf.

We have a problem. 

WHEW  !!....

I just checked my ALTERNATIVE  component storage and found another 1000 WLR  primers...

I remember now...Back a couple of years ago primers were hard to come by, supposedly because the boys were using up so much ordinance in the Middle East..

SO when they became avaiable I picked up another 1000, even though I still had a few hundred left...At the rate I reload , that should last me until I am old and gray..

WAIT a minute.....I'm ALREADY old and gray... I guess I'm in pretty good shape then, primer-wise...

that stinks. i dont need to puchase projectiles as i cast my own boolits :(

You ain't makin' your own primers.  That's the crux of this entire thing.  They can make as much powder and bullets available as they want but if the government makes primers impossible to get, you & I are up a creek.

They (primers) are the least expensive part of the equasion, lightest, the most bang for the buck (1000 primers are little more than the size of twp pounds of butter) and you can't do anything without them.  Hell, you could have cases, powder and all the bullets you wanted but no primers is going to be a problem.

MAN am i glad you helped me pick up a box a few months ago Larry!!!!!!!

BigBuckBoy aint around to tell the story so i will: He was in Cabelas in Columbus Ohio a few weeks ago and there was this OLD guy there buying boots... anyhow once the service gal helped him find em she asked if that was all he was getting, he said "No ive got to go over there (pointing) and pick up a couple mortars some hand grenades and a machine gun" the service gal thought he was joking at first but he was dead serious... me and BigBuckBoy were laughing that he must have heard about N. Korea's kiddo dictators blustering threats... LOL 

I guess he forgot that those are all out of stock also...

• 4 weeks later...

I can find ammo for any gun I own except .22lr which I have had about 4 bricks of. I have been wanting to get into reloading for a year or two now. I finally took the first step in march and built myself a reloading bench and got a couple manuals. I went to order a press kit and components and was disappointed that everything I was looking at was on back order. I chose a bad time to find a new hobby but I am ready when things become available.