My Nephew's Youth Hunt Bird

letinmfly

I took my nephew out for the youth hunt on Saturday, 4/20.  It was a very quiet morning to say the least.  Our first setup accounted for absolutely no birds being heard or sighted.  Around 9:30 we made a move to where he shot his longbeard last year on the youth hunt.  Around 10:00am I struck accord with a single hen which lasted for 5 minutes and then she shut up and was gone.  We made another short move and I made a few calls on Josh's longbox and a gobbler sounded off.
We found a couple of trees to set up against and made a few more calls but it was quiet once again.  I took out my SS aluminum and got another gobble but this time much closer.  A few minutes later we catch movement off to our left and a real longbeard steps out into the open about 60 yards away.  He is followed by two jakes and 10 hens.  I called to them but the longbeard followed the hens and the jakes came to investigate my calling.  When they reached a distance of 25 yards they separated and my nephew took the shot.
His bird has a 4.5" beard with 1/2" spurs and weighed 17.2lbs.  First gobble heard at 10:15, dead bird at 10:25.

Youthhunt2013.jpeg