New arrows on the market

chiefbkt

I am always checking out new gear for bow hunting and was checking out some of the old/new arrows that are on the market. I currently shoot CX Mayhem hunter and am pretty happy with their overall performance. I mainly hunt deer so I am looking for an absolute awesome deer hunting arrow. So I have been doing a lot of reading and shopping on new arrows and have stumbled across a few that I wouldn't mind trying out. Firstly, the new Easton Da'Torch arrows. They are smaller in diameter, have a straightness of +/- .001", weight tolerance of +/- 1 grain, and I would shoot the 330 at 7.9 gpi. Secondly, the Gold Tip Pro Hunter arrows. These are also slightly smaller in diameter, straightness of +/- .001", weight tol. of +/- 1 grain, and I would shoot the 759 at 8.9 gpi. Lastly, the CX Maxima Hunter. These too are slightly smaller in diameter, straightness of +/- .0025", weight tol. of +/- 1 grain, and I would shoot the 350 at 8.9 gpi. These all seem like great arrows that would perform equally as good in my set up (2012 Diamond Dead Eye, 70 lbs @ 29") but I am looking for a little feedback from guys on here. If you've shot any or all of these arrows, what did you think? How did they perform on the range? On deer? Was there ample penetration? Is there another brand of arrow I should also check out? I am considering purchasing the Gold Tip Pro Hunter, they seem to have good all around performance factors. Any opinion or help is appreciated.

Bought the Gold Tip pro hunters on Friday and man are they impressive. Shooting half dollar size groups at 30 yards now instead of 20. Haven't shot them out to 50 or 60 yet, but I'm sure i will see improvement. I would highly recommend these to anyone.

Edited by chiefbkt

I'm not very happy with Easton's trend towards the lighter arrows. They did away with my favorite shaft the "Epic" which was 18/64 diameter @ 9.5 grains / inch in the 340 size, and replaced it with the lighter "bloodline". It appears this " Da Torch" is following suit with the light shafts.

The Gold Tip option sounds like a better penetrating shaft for shots at big bodied bucks.

I'm not very happy with Easton's trend towards the lighter arrows. They did away with my favorite shaft the "Epic" which was 18/64 diameter @ 9.5 grains / inch in the 340 size, and replaced it with the lighter "bloodline". It appears this " Da Torch" is following suit with the light shafts.

The Gold Tip option sounds like a better penetrating shaft for shots at big bodied bucks.

Easton Full Metal Jackets, (FMJ) are a phenominal hunting shaft.  11.3 grains per inch.  Smaller diameter but have the weight to penetrate.  Been shooting them for 4 years now and the exact same arrow has taken 6 deer and still is in perfect condition.  Absolutely love them!

• Like 1

I've been shooting the Gold Tip pro hunter for years and they perform very well. I shoot an Elite GT500 65#, 29",400 grain arrows, and chrono 291 fps. In the effort to get the max. speed from my set up I have been thinking of trying a lighter arrow, I heard good things about Victory arrows lighter shafts(6-7 gpi) but they maintain stiffness. I would drop 50 grains add some speed and still have great kinetic energy. Seems like the perfect combination.

They ended up costing me $65 for the half dozen (had coupon). The funny part is the guy at BPS said that GT makes their arrows now. And the Blackout X1 pro is the same as the GT pro hunter. He tried to convince me to buy them but i wanted to do some research on it first. Turns out they are the same arrow. Wish I would have known ahead of time since they were $60 per 6 regular price. Next time I will pick them up.

the new Easton DaTorch arrows are awesome for an accurate hunting arrow with enough weight and smaller diameter to get great penetration.  I'm not really a fan of the HIT inserts and glad they're HP inserts.  Also the nock collar will give you added ballast to put a heavier tip/head up front and still maintain a good 12% FOC.  Also the collars protect the rear of your shaft during practice and when you send an arrow into cover.

Goldtip's regular line (Prohunter, Hunter XT, Expedition Hunter) are workhorse hunting arrows.  Shot them before Easton and I would have no worries if i had to shoot them again.  they're ridiculously tough and consistent.

No experience with Carbon Express and Victory hasn't warmed me over enough.  They're hunting weight shafts are alright for durability but haven't shot enough of them to see if they hold their spine and consistency with the abuse.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys who are shooting the Easton FMJ's what are you guys set ups? Those arrows use the deep six components don't they? What spine are you shooting? For my bow I need at least 32 inch arrow with .300 spine, it's a tough combo to find and the FMJs are one of the few out there that have the combo.

I was shooting the CX Mayhem hunters but I just got the New CX  Maxima Red Zones & got to say

I love them I thought the Mayhems shot nice but for me The Red Zones blow them away

here are a couple pic's of my first two groups @40 yards

2r5x208.jpg

azg3c.jpg

Guys who are shooting the Easton FMJ's what are you guys set ups? Those arrows use the deep six components don't they? What spine are you shooting? For my bow I need at least 32 inch arrow with .300 spine, it's a tough combo to find and the FMJs are one of the few out there that have the combo.

Have you looked at CX Piledriver 450's?