Would you shoot a bearded hen ?

Water Rat

I remember a few years ago when a bearded hen came into gun range while I was spring turkey hunting. She mingled around my turkey decoys for approximately 10 minutes or so. During this time , I couldn't help but think that I could shoot this hen as the regulations state

"bearded turkey". I let her pass as I assumed she had a nest nearby and I wouldn't have felt good about it regardless. I wish the DEC would re-write the regulations , as it is very easy to distinguish a jake,gobbler and a bearded hen in the spring.

In the fall...yes.  In the spring...no.  Unless, it was the last morning of season, the gobbler I had roosted pulled a no show and it was about start raining.  Such was the chase on 5/31/09 when I killed a bearded hen that had screwed me over several times that season.  It was a matter of payback really.  Plus, she was kicking the crap out of my decoy so I had to take her out...

dhhh-1.jpg

I would shoot it in a heartbeat, odds are if it has a beard the hormones are screwed up probably never lay an egg

I would have a full body mount done add it to the game room

That's an old wives tale.  Bearded hens can/do lay eggs just like any other hen turkey.  The one that I shot in back in '09 was defintely nesting...she had 4-5 eggs in her that were in different stages of development.  I would never shoot another one during the spring season.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

In the fall...yes.  In the spring...no.  Unless, it was the last morning of season, the gobbler I had roosted pulled a no show and it was about start raining.  Such was the chase on 5/31/09 when I killed a bearded hen that had screwed me over several times that season.  It was a matter of payback really.  Plus, she was kicking the crap out of my decoy so I had to take her out...

dhhh-1.jpg

Are you sure that's a hen in the photo ? I only ask because the bearded hen I saw didn't have the red,white and blue head.

Are you sure that's a hen in the photo ? I only ask because the bearded hen I saw didn't have the red,white and blue head.

The breast feathers have buff tips, which is a sure indicator of a hen..

A jake's breast feathers would have black tips..

A hen's head can flush bright colors when she is excited also...Years ago I shot an adult hen for a jake in the fall because of her red head...

Most of the red that you see on that hen's head can be attributed to 2.25 ounces of hevi-shot @ 25 yds.  As Pygmy stated, gobblers have black barred breast feathers and a  hens are just dull brown. Plus, she only weighed about 10 lbs and had eggs inside of her.

Thanks for the explanations. You guys were exactly right concerning the different color breast feathers.I didn't even notice them in the photo. I didn't realize a hens head could flush colors when excited...thanks for the info. Learn something new every day !

Most of the red that you see on that hen's head can be attributed to 2.25 ounces of hevi-shot @ 25 yds.  As Pygmy stated, gobblers have black barred breast feathers and a  hens are just dull brown. Plus, she only weighed about 10 lbs and had eggs inside of her.

I was just wondering if the bearded hen you shot had any spurs ?