What is going on with todays turkey hunters?

noodle one

This year more than any other pass years I  have been hearing more multiple shots from people turkey hunting. It use to be if you heard one shot, you would tell your self that someone got one. If you heard  two shots ,then you would tell your self that one got away. Not just one day, but everyday. I have heard two, three  and as many as six shots all at once.This is not later in the day, but first thing in the morning. I don't know if people just are not taken there time or they are just getting to excited. Just this morning i was sitting out on my back deck listening for turkeys and heard three shots at 5:45 am  one after the other, so I know someone was shooting at a turkey.I don't know if I want to be out there with those kinds of hunters in the turkey woods. What are your thoughts on this?

Maybe taking long shots with the new extended range shells, where guys feel they can effectively shoot ~60+ yards, then needing back-up shots? Maybe a couple of guys in a blind and each shooting at birds that are together?

Edited by Cabin Fever

A lot of newbies see them still flopping and shoot again not realizing they do that flopping thing for a while in almost all cases. And I have to agree with taking shots that are too far, Im reading stuff about 70 yd shots being taken by hunters because they have these super tight turkey chokes and 3.5in loads. When you pattern your gun on paper you will see that after 35 yds its a gamble and you also put pellets into the edible meat which to me is just plain nasty having those feathers shoved into the breast meat.

Anything over 30 is just ridiculous in my opinion. 50/60/70 yards why? Patience patience patience. Of the shots ive heard they were singles. Never heard more than 2 shots at a time. Ill admit i agree with sits....and my first one i shot and he flopped and thought i had to shoot again. Beginners mistake.

Could be hunters shooting thru too thick of brush....also known as pokin and hopin!

Edited by TeeBugg

I'd imagine if it's a flopper, you wouldn't hear the follow up shot much later since the hunter would walk closer to the turkey to finish the job, no?

At the risk of sounding like a Barbarian, one of those cheap machetes works well for floppers, or just a good stick for that matter. I know guys that stomp on the heads to finish the job but I'm too much of a wuss to get near one o them things when they are floppin about like that....

I use a single shot 10 gauge... so I'm not one of the hunters you'll be hearing shooting multiple times. Gettin' them close is much more fun than chasing around a wounded bird that you pushed the distance envelope on. That ol' 10 gauge will reach out to 50 no problem, but just seems a bit far to be shooting at a turkey for me.

Funny...this morning at about 5:40 I heard  two shots less than 2 sec. apart and a third maybe 10 sec. later...BANG..BANG.............BANG. I thought to myself "whats he doing ? chasing the thing??

Pretty much everything that I've shot that were not one shot kills, basically flopped at the spot.  So I simply walked right up to them and either finished the job with a knife or shot the follow-up shot from a few feet away.  I can only speak for myself of course.  Every body has their own routine.

I don't think hearing a few extra shots is a sinister trend... I've heard multiple shots now and then for many years...Some of them were mine..

I have killed about 120 turkeys in the last 40 years, and my first shot was not always perfect, due to many factors, not the least of which is ADRENALINE .. I have killed a number of birds with my second or even my third shot, after I  flubbed the first one, for whatever reason..

I never shot more than 3 times at a turkey, because the guns I have used have either been double barrels or were plugged for 3 shots, since some of the states ( and Ontario) I hunt in require a 3 shot limit.. I just leave the repeaters that I use for turkeys plugged..

Same thing during deer season. I think its lack of practice and overconfidence in the equipment. ive passed an a few birds so far this year because of the lack of confidence in the shot, but thats just me. i would rather lose the turkey contest  than waste $25 in ammo on a bird that might be too messed up to eat when all is said and done. but thats just me.

last deer season in a shotgun zone i heard 3 shots go off probably from a pump and then when I was in rifle country I heard someone with a semi auto taking 5 very rapid shots. I understand wanting to get the deer turkey animal or what have you but once you are done shooting you wont have much thats looks like an animal just swiss cheese. plus more importantly I hope these people know what is beyond their targets........ from the above post it is possible from lack of practice but there are many things going on especially during deer season. bucks chasing doe is a huge factor you cant always stop that buck from chasing that doe.

Edited by apoallo

More shooting? Yep I have heard it here too. Also I am seeing more turkey hunters in the woods this year then I have seen in a while too. Seems like an influx of spring turkey hunters this year.