I'm have a quandary and need help

Mike G

post-1660-0-18357900-1369763347_thumb.jppost-1660-0-02681100-1369763359_thumb.jpI fly 2 flags from our porch; one American and one Union Jack (my wife is a citizen of Great Britain).  They both got splattered with what appears to be mud; this same splatter is also on my deck rail.  There is nothing above us. I can't imagine where it came from.  If it is from birds, it must have been a flock of them.  Any suggestions on what could have caused this?

I live in a very rural area with no nearby neighbors.  No access to this porch except through the house.  I also have spots on the railing and deck of the porch.  The splatter pattern shows it came from above the flags and only covers an area of about 5' x 3' with the Union Jack getting the most splatter (don't suggest Irish Leprechauns lol).  I have ruled out geese because their poop tends to be green in color.  The dried spots on the railing have both the color and consistency of mud.  I have also ruled out a plane dropping waste because the area is too small to come from a high altitude.  I have also ruled out bird droppings because of the color and amount (it would have to be a flock of birds all letting go at the same time).  I was wondering if it could have been some type of bird carrying mud.  If I don't consider Leprechauns this may turn out to be another mystery of life.

Flocks of starlings tend to all let go at the same time..

Depending on what they have been eating, brown is a possibility.

I was driving down the highway once and got bombarded by a deluge of PURPLE bird poop...The rascals had been eating elderberries or something similar.

• Like 1

Yup, you must be near a Revolutionary War battle/skirmish ground. The stuff was aimed towards the flag of the red-coats because the spirits came upon the house of a tory.

(tory) an American who favored the British side during the American Revolution.

Could be mud/dirt splattering out of your gutters. If they are clogged or even have a good amount of dirt and rotten leaves in them, the gutters will over flow and throw that stuff everywhere during a good rain.

Could be mud/dirt splattering out of your gutters. If they are clogged or even have a good amount of dirt and rotten leaves in them, the gutters will over flow and throw that stuff everywhere during a good rain.

There is a very likely thought that I would be checking into. Perhaps you just got a little "heads-up" about a problem that could be a whole lot more serious in the future.