Which turkey load do you use?

blackradio

I bought a pack of Remington 3" Nitro Turkey loads and tried them out today through my Mossberg 500 12g with Primos turkey choke. I was getting good groups at 40 yards with roughly 60% of the pellets hitting within a 10" circle. These are the only loads I've used as I'm new to hunting. What do you use and with what choke?

Today I printed two turkey heads on my computer and went and hung them on a board, went back 42 yards with my Mossberg 500 and 3" #4 Nitro Turkey loads and got a pretty good pattern. One I hit 13 times in the head/neck region and the other I got 12 pellets in the head/neck region. How many is considered a kill shot when sighting the gun in?

Use Winchester 3 1/2"  Supreme Elite #5 shot.

When is enough a enough?

When you feel comfortable that your gun/shell is giving a good density at various yardages.

Don't know as there is a magic formula or number.

These shells work for MY gun & may not for YOURS!!!!

I use a Remington 1187 with a 21" 12 gauge  3" Mag barrel..My choke tube is a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .665"....

This combo works well with either Federal Premium or Winchester XX  2 oz. turkey loads and # 4, 5 or 6 shot...I get sure kill patterns past 40 yards, which is my personal limit for shots on turkeys...

I have never bothered trying the Nitros, or the hevishot super dense patterning loads..Never felt the need to kill turkeys past 40 yards, and my gun does just fine at that range with the much cheaper buffered, plated lead turkey loads such as Federals or Win XX...

• 3 months later...

ok weirdo from the north reply.  I use my ml shotgun with 80 grains of goex ffg blackpowder and an ounce and 1/4 of a #4 and #6 mix.  I use a fiber wad between the powder and shot and an over shot card. My gun has been reamed and threaded to take remington chokes. I use the xfull turkey.  The only problem is you have to remove the choke to reload, so the first one has to count. 

I have used a Franchi 612 VS to kill all my turkeys in the past with 3" Winchester #5 but this year i am going to try the bubba angle and take out a double barrel muzzleloading shotgun and try to tag one with that.

once you do, yo uwill never look back. It is awesome.  I have been thinking a double so I have the second shot. 

I use a Browning BPS with either a Pure Gold or Indian Creek BDS choke and 3.5" Hevi-13 Magnum Blend loads.  Works for me...

IMG_0093vb.jpg

Nice vest . Got the same one.LOL! I would like to try the magnum blend. Heard its pretty lethal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tested more load choke combos out of my 835 than i will ever need. Win, Rem, Fed,4's, 5's, 6's, copper plated, 2 &3/4", 3", 3 & 1/2". There is a white ash on a field edge outside Peterboro NY that has literally pounds of lead in-beaded in the sap wood.

My old standby used to be the copper plated magnum loads. Then i ended up testing the Winchester high velocity loads and holly cow. At least 20% improvement on all other loads. Those loads throw a lethal pattern out to 60+ yards not that I shoot that far.

That being said i haven't patterned a new load in close to 10 years. Never seen the need for one of the HD loads at 30$ a box.

I will say that the Magnum Blends have peeked my interest. But i might not be able to bring my self to spend 4$ a shell.

A more prudent investment might be a gobbler Guillotine  ;D

I use 2 3/4"  mag #5 or #6  12 ga. full choke and don't shoot until the bird is within 30-35 yds.  I enjoy seeing how close I can get them in. The closest ever was about 12yds. I just like to see them strut & sound off. I did take 1 with the bow about 15 yds 2yrs ago from a blind that's fun.