Product Reviews

fasteddie

I am really getting frustrated with product reviews and wonder how valid some are . I was looking at rider mowers and self propelled . Many reviewers give them a 5 star and a few give them a 1 star and say they are junk .

My rider mower ( Troy Built Bronco ) crapped out on me and I was looking at new ones but couldn't make up my mind . I have a walk behind with a bagger but at 71 , I don't want to PUSH it for the next few years . I figured a self propelled with bagger would do . My lot is 180 X 110 and subtracting the house , driveway , shed , garden , etc , I have about 1/3 acre . Instead of mowing with a rider and then walking for exercise , why not walk behind the self -propelled mower .

Anyway , I find the reviews confusing and wonder how valid they are . People mention wheels bending , wheels falling off , belts falling off the pulleys , shafts breaking , etc ... What the heck !

Are you going to many different sites to get reviews on the same product from costumers?...that's what I do and then try to weigh what sounds "right"and what doesn't...many times I catch reviews and the wording indicates it's  not actually for the product the reviews are suppose to be for...but something totally different

I agree with Wooly. Go with your gut and the products you know something about. I bought a sears craftsman ride-on mower.

Some reviews called the thing a piece of junk that falls apart. I have had it for 5 years and mow 2 acres and all my trails through the property. It is a wonderful machine. good luck

I went to the John Deere dealer because I didn't believe half of those reviews either. I asked him what the difference was between the D170, which is what they sell at Lowes & Home Depot, and the X300 besides an extra $300. He told me the D series is a 7-10 year mower and the X series are a 20-25 year mower. He had both in stock, but for the extra $ I went with the X300 and I couldn't be happier!

You really can't win on these things. It usually turns out to be just a matter of luck. The reviews and such are kind of a waste of time because you never know whether the authors took descent care of the product, or understood the directions for maintenance and operation. Name brand means nothing anymore because those companies that have a known track record for quality have been bought and sold so many times that company name is meaningless. There are some material choices and manufacturing processes that can suggest quality in design, but other than that you are at the mercy of "luck".

at 71 I no longer have to mow, we moved to be closer to the grandkids and my son in law, mows with a big John deer mower and plows the driveway with his ford truck for snow

. I use to have 5 full acres to mow and used a rider and a self mower for trim. I got both of them from Walmart and never had a issue. I did need to change on the riding mower a belt and plug and on the self mower walk type I did have the wheels go after 8 years and finally got another one of that type.

Been using a Craftsman 6 HP self propelled walk behind for 12 years. Besides the yearly oil change and  occasional new spark plug, the only thing I have done to it is replace the drive belt. That was a couple years ago and it was easy. The belt was only about 10 bucks.

I agree you should go with your gut though. You'll get a bunch of different opinions, on the best mowers , here too. 

Most self propelled walk behind mowers are essentially the same. Biggest difference is the motor.. The only mowers that is drastically different are the Honda mowers and they are about double the cost. The Honda's can be bought with plastic decks, dual blades and hydrostatict transmissions. I have one and love it.

generally speaking a mower will run about $300 and if it last 10 yrs thats $30 yr.

A product review is only as good as the guy writing them. You could be reading one from someone who has no clue how to use or operate what they are writing a review about.  How many bad reviews has been given because someone bought a 2 stroke and put straight gas in it and never knew any better and was pissed off it blew up?  Warranty, customer service and close service is as good as it gets for making a choice.

Well , I bought the Self Propelled Huskee with the 160 cc Honda Engine at TSC . It was $300 and I had a 10% off coupon . Put it together and mowed the lawn ....... 6 bags of grass later I was done . Real easy pull start . Now I have to get rid of my rider mower .