Good for my deer "herd"?

We have this Dairy Mineral Mix... would it be good for my deer "herd" if I fill a "cow mineral feeder" with it? but just so happen to place it far enough from the barn that the deer wont be scared to use it along with the cows...

Here is whats in it...

Mono Sodium Phosphate, Mono-calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Certified Organic Alfalfa Meal, Certified Organic Kelp Meal, Potassium Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Fermentation Products of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Manganes, Iron, Copper and Cobalt, Certified Organic Vegetable Oil, Calcium Carbonate

It any good?

We have this Dairy Mineral Mix... would it be good for my deer "herd" if I fill a "cow mineral feeder" with it? but just so happen to place it far enough from the barn that the deer wont be scared to use it along with the cows...

Here is whats in it...

Mono Sodium Phosphate, Mono-calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Certified Organic Alfalfa Meal, Certified Organic Kelp Meal, Potassium Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Fermentation Products of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Manganes, Iron, Copper and Cobalt, Certified Organic Vegetable Oil, Calcium Carbonate

It any good?

I'd be a little concerned giving deer a product that's engineered for cows.........especially if they get a large dose at once.

I am we'll aware that minerals and supplemental feeding of deer is illegal in ny. However, everything I read suggests that minerals at the right time can be so beneficial to antler growth, lactating does, and the stresses of a harsh winter. Is cwd still an issue here in ny? Are there many others states that ban all aspects of supplemental feeding?

On a side note... I recently ordered oats and winter peas from whitetail institute and when I received the package they included two five pound bags of 30-06 minerals. I'm pretty sure that they know its illegal in nys so why throw it into my order for free?

Sodium Selenite is a salt. Illegal.

I also read that it can be toxic to dogs if they ingest too much, any vitamin can for that matter and this is called toxicosis.

Deer are bigger than dogs, just not sure you want to chance giving them something formulated for a large animal such as a cow

Edited by PREDATE

Actually, there's little hard evidence that mineral licks and salt licks do anything for wild free ranging deer. The benefit comes from being able to census the deer on or using your property because of its attractiveness (salt).

It's a topic that gets a ton of debate, even among those in QDM circles. But, there's just not been much in the way of formal, university level studies showing that these improve antler size or health.

When I had beef cattle on my place Joe the deer would jump the fence for the minerals I had out and ate more than the cattle......

Not illegal when out for operating agricultural use and nothing that'll hurt, and like Phade posted just debateable as to when it'll help.

Eventually I went to silage feed and mixed mineral in and got rid of the free choice. But I do notice there are always deer tracks around that spot where the old tubs were (against an old stump); and that was maybe 7 or even 8 years ago when I stopped.

Edited by Dinsdale

While it may not be illegal to use it for the cows, hunting over it might be.

IMO minerals would need to be introduced in early spring to see much benefit. They have so much variety this time of year like flowers, succulent greens, vegetables, fruits and berries.

I would also hate to see your cows get CWD.

I never really understood why someone would hunt over it. Salt is the main attaction and the timing of season starting dates is such that salt intake is the lowest of the year at that time and rarely if ever draws them in like it does in summer time.

Some numbskull got busted for it by me opening day. Darn near pointless.

I recently ordered oats and winter peas from whitetail institute and when I received the package they included two five pound bags of 30-06 minerals.

They offered the same to me when I called in my order and I reminded him I am in NY...so I got a little better deal on the seed...

I am we'll aware that minerals and supplemental feeding of deer is illegal in ny. However, everything I read suggests that minerals at the right time can be so beneficial to antler growth, lactating does, and the stresses of a harsh winter. Is cwd still an issue here in ny? Are there many others states that ban all aspects of supplemental feeding?

On a side note... I recently ordered oats and winter peas from whitetail institute and when I received the package they included two five pound bags of 30-06 minerals. I'm pretty sure that they know its illegal in nys so why throw it into my order for free?

+1

Actually, there's little hard evidence that mineral licks and salt licks do anything for wild free ranging deer. The benefit comes from being able to census the deer on or using your property because of its attractiveness (salt).

It's a topic that gets a ton of debate, even among those in QDM circles. But, there's just not been much in the way of formal, university level studies showing that these improve antler size or health.

When I had beef cattle on my place Joe the deer would jump the fence for the minerals I had out and ate more than the cattle......

Not illegal when out for operating agricultural use and nothing that'll hurt, and like Phade posted just debateable as to when it'll help.

Eventually I went to silage feed and mixed mineral in and got rid of the free choice. But I do notice there are always deer tracks around that spot where the old tubs were (against an old stump); and that was maybe 7 or even 8 years ago when I stopped.

thats what im talking about

IMO minerals would need to be introduced in early spring to see much benefit. They have so much variety this time of year like flowers, succulent greens, vegetables, fruits and berries.

+1 i wont hunt over it

Now just to let you know i wouldn't be able to do this because at this time i don't even have a place to hunt haha. I bet everyone's seen that picture on the internet of the sign over a corn pile saying "this pile is intended for squirrels and any deer caught feeding on it will be killed". Could you actually get away with baiting by doing that over food?  Curious lol

Cows dont get CWD, he never suggested he would hunt over it, and its 100% completely legal do do it on a working farm.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the big deal is for these critters when it comes to minerals, but I do remember as a kid almost getting trampled to death each time I had to dump the minerals in the trough for the sheep. They really didn't care what or who was in their way when I came in with that stuff. In fact it was pretty tough just trying to get to the feeder. I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if deer didn't have the same appetite for those same kinds of goodies.

• Like 1

Joe- the "dried fermentation product" are bacteria that inoculate the rumen to help aid in the digestion of cellulose and lignin. I have no idea how this would impact a deer if at all. The "certified organic kelp meal" is hilarious! That's like certifying maple syrup as organic... Hey Joe- you better check with your boss before you snag a bag of that mineral mix. Our mineral mixes cost a couple bucks per pound and I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that is certified organic in it...

Joe- the "dried fermentation product" are bacteria that inoculate the rumen to help aid in the digestion of cellulose and lignin. I have no idea how this would impact a deer if at all. The "certified organic kelp meal" is hilarious! That's like certifying maple syrup as organic... Hey Joe- you better check with your boss before you snag a bag of that mineral mix. Our mineral mixes cost a couple bucks per pound and I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that is certified organic in it...

LOL i know...

Yeah I checked... its ok if i snag a couple... the reason ours is certified organic is we ship organic milk...

you prob have seen the brand Horizon Organic, thats who we ship to...