How many are heading OUT / Upstate / Traveling tomorrow or for anytime in season

burmjohn

I always envy those of you who live near or on the property they hunt.  However, I also think A LOT of thrill I get out of going to my fam's property and now my property is the fact that its not easily accessible to me.  It's not a place I can just run over to after work or walk out of my back door to.  It makes me anticipate and get so nuts over because of that fact.  I obsess over the dumbest things because I am not there.... Just ranting because I am obsessing now over everything I packed / got ready for this weekends bow hunt. 

Grills packed, Toilet paper, baby wipes, bow, sleeping bag, air mattress, food, clothes, license, phone, batteries, flashlight, latern, etc etc etc...  Ahhh is it tomorrow yet?

Tomorrow I am going to work with the truck all packed, leaving @ 3:30 sharp to beat some of the traffic.  Its a 3 hr ride, and I'll be like a kid heading to see Santa the whole way up.  And I think a lot of that has to do with the fact I don't have that opportunity to walk out my back door and hunt :)

I have 3 spots that are anywhere between 100 and 120 miles round trip so it's a daily round trip drive . Therefore , If I hunt Saturday , I will skip Sunday and alternate days . Two places that are close by are screwed up this year . One is overgrown with super high weeds / thorns and the other is overgrown with hunters . Soooooo , I gotta drive .

My mother would always tell me to get my priorities staight!  Now I know what my priorities are, Hunting!  Come this time of year it is all I think of.  Being an Ex-New Yorker now living in California I make it a priority that I know that I'm in NY for just about the entire deer hunting season(just about every weekend).  I sometimes just fly to get one day of hunting in and fly back home.  Its a long trip back and forth but I do it with a smile and no sleep cause of the excitement it brings.  I miss only being 3 hours away from my hunting property but hope to be that close one day soon.  Tomorrow is a long travel day  probably around 11 1/2 hours of flying and driving without the waiting around.  I will probably not be able to sleep until after my morning hunt on Saturday cause of excitement.

We are all blessed to be able to do what we enjoy.. Happy hunting everyone!  Good luck and be safe.

I have about a 45 min drive to our property. I wont lie I do like the fact that I can get out of work and head out for an evening hunt. But once a year I head to a small chunk of land that my dad has. We go up opening day of Shotgun every year.It's not the best piece of property but it's more about just getting away with my dad while he still can get out and hunt. I figure I have enough chances to get out the rest of the season.

I was planning on headin up to tent camp ftomorrow night aftre a half day at work. Weather has its own ideas so we will make the trip early Sat morning to be in the woods 1hour before sunup and hopefully the rain will be gone. I was equally excited about the whole expereince of tent camping to hunting so I'm a bit pissed.  I bet all that negativity  goes away when Sat finally arrives.

My mother would always tell me to get my priorities staight!  Now I know what my priorities are, Hunting!  Come this time of year it is all I think of.  Being an Ex-New Yorker now living in California I make it a priority that I know that I'm in NY for just about the entire deer hunting season(just about every weekend).  I sometimes just fly to get one day of hunting in and fly back home.  Its a long trip back and forth but I do it with a smile and no sleep cause of the excitement it brings.  I miss only being 3 hours away from my hunting property but hope to be that close one day soon.  Tomorrow is a long travel day  probably around 11 1/2 hours of flying and driving without the waiting around.  I will probably not be able to sleep until after my morning hunt on Saturday cause of excitement.

We are all blessed to be able to do what we enjoy.. Happy hunting everyone!  Good luck and be safe.

You know, if I had to go through all that to do my whitetail hunting, NYS is probably not the destination I'd be heading for .... lol.

Doc

Depending on just how bad the wind is...I'll be hitting a ground blind or ladder stand in a BIG tree some place here.....I do travel the hour to camp but I haven't decide when this season.......I haven't seen a deer in 3 days ....pretty sure with this weather they are staying in the pines.....

I have a 6 hr trip from ENothport to Howard. Love the drive but Sunday's could get bad with all the leaf watchers. People say why did I pick a place so far from home.

I tell them it is my home, I'm just visiting the island! Honestly there is no other place I would hunt in N.Y. then the Finger Lakes. Each region of the state has its qualities but in the Finger Lakes you get more "bang for you Buck!"

Wow for me it 35-40 minutes from Webster to Canandaigua , I'll be there all day sat. then Sunday AM as I have 1 kid coming home from college this week end and will be running her back Sunday PM.

Sometimes i drive twice a day as its just got good till the last 1/2 hour in the afternoon.

I have the seats out of my van,so tons of room for gear and sleeping, as i hunt farm land the van is my base camp.

I did build a 4X8 hut tall enough to stand in this year,thats for gun and resting,cooking soup and naps as well .

I also hunt by my home in Webster. Last year i got off the sofa at 3:30 showered drove 1/2 mile with my climber and had a doe at 4:10 . Thats really handy !!