Arrow speed VS Arrow momentum

josephmrtn

Nope, they never came into the talk. As I said, his comments were directed toward target shooting at long range to make the shorter shots easier. You can DVR it, Im sure they will replay it 8 gajillion times lol.

Well, wait a minute ..... That theory of practicing at longer distances than you would shoot while hunting is something I completely agree with. I do that all the time. I always spend at least some time practicing out to 50 yards even though I don't take any hunting shots beyond 30 yards. It is a confidence thing. I may have misunderstood what you said the guy was saying. I thought you were saying that he was advocating longer hunting shots because of what he could do on targets.

Well, wait a minute ..... That theory of practicing at longer distances than you would shoot while hunting is something I completely agree with. I do that all the time. I always spend at least some time practicing out to 50 yards even though I don't take any hunting shots beyond 30 yards. It is a confidence thing. I may have misunderstood what you said the guy was saying. I thought you were saying that he was advocating longer hunting shots because of what he could do on targets.

Yeah you misunderstood. Perhaps I said it wrong. In any case he was advocating taking long practice shots. I found the statement that the newer bows pretty much shoot themselves as the interesting part. He also said right after that, you just need to know where to place the pin.

Technology has changed hunting but society and human expansion also changed hunting.  No longer can we chase thousands of buffalos off a cliff on horseback.  No longer can we chase buffalos on horseback and fling 30 spears onto its back and watch it die a long agonizing death nor should we.

Hunting is also not a competition with fellow hunters.  Hunting is testing yourself against nature.  You set your own goals.  To say you're successful can only be said when accomplishing the goals you set for yourself...not what others set for you.

To say that you're a better hunter than someone else because you challenge yourself with certain limitations is like saying you relax and enjoy nature better than someone else and that's just ridiculous.

• Like 2

Technology has changed hunting but society and human expansion also changed hunting.  No longer can we chase thousands of buffalos off a cliff on horseback.  No longer can we chase buffalos on horseback and fling 30 spears onto its back and watch it die a long agonizing death nor should we.

Hunting is also not a competition with fellow hunters.  Hunting is testing yourself against nature.  You set your own goals.  To say you're successful can only be said when accomplishing the goals you set for yourself...not what others set for you.

To say that you're a better hunter than someone else because you challenge yourself with certain limitations is like saying you relax and enjoy nature better than someone else and that's just ridiculous.

Well said.  I played sports my whole life. I am competitive in everything I do. Now that there aren't many sports left to play besides golf, softball, basketball, etc, I really have grown to enjoy hunting and fishing more than ever. To me, it is me vs. the species I am targeting (Lake Trout, Deer, etc.).  Waking up at 4am, sitting outside on the ground from dark - dark in my scent free clothes, hoping I have a tricked a deer into walking by me close enough to get a shot.  It's a rush and nothing like it.

Just like in sports, I follow the laws/rules. I never corked by bat in baseball, I never took steroids. In hunting I don't illegally bait.  However, I do take advantage of better technology. In golf, I have custom clubs that are legal. In hunting, I use top of the lines guns, scopes, xbows, etc.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

For me, my life is dominated by hunting in the fall/winter and softball in the spring/summer.  Double header this Sunday...last regular season games.  We have to sweep and the 8th place team has to lose both of their games for us to make the playoffs.  A few years ago I severely sprained my ankle sliding into second on a double.  I played the entire playoffs with it bandaged with ACE bandage with tons of duck tape on top.  It looked like I was wearing an astronaut boot.  People thought I was crazy but there was no way I was sitting out.  We made it to the championship but lost.

Yea man, I hear you. For years I played in the Sunday morning league in Mahopac and weeknight leagues in Kent, Patterson, and Tarrytown. 

I once dislocated my finger sliding into home in a playoff softball game once. Jammed it into the catchers cleat. The two bones closest to the fingernail slid on top of the bone cloest to the hand. I dont know how they didnt go through the skin. The skin was so white because it was so stretched.  At the ER they had 1 guy hold my shoulder in place while the other doctor pulled my finger out away from me and down to drop it into place. 

Unfortunately, due to my shoulder I no longer play softball. I played last year in Tarrytown league under the TZ bridge, but I couldnt throw and hit like I used to. I couldnt deal with being an "average joe" out there, so I probably won't ever play again.

Wow - this thread has taken a turn.  Probably for the better, but it can be interesting to pop back and see where the thread ends.

Shouldn't you be out lawyering or something? LOL.

I'll also say what I said earlier about finding a decent set-up goes on both ends. When you shoot 80, 90, 100lbs bows, I don't care if you attach a tree saw, an axe head, or a ninja sword to it for a BH. The deer is going to die if shot well, ha. Heck it may die twice.

Or within 500 feet of a dwelling.

DOn't want the antis to end up with bambi in the freezer.

Maybe in NY, but not in CT:

Does the 500 foot rule apply to bowhunting?

No. The safety buffer of 500 feet only applies to hunting with firearms or carrying of a loaded firearm when a reasonable person would conclude that the individual was engaged in hunting.

Or within 500 feet of a dwelling.

DOn't want the antis to end up with bambi in the freezer.

Maybe in NY, but not in CT:

Does the 500 foot rule apply to bowhunting?

No. The safety buffer of 500 feet only applies to hunting with firearms or carrying of a loaded firearm when a reasonable person would conclude that the individual was engaged in hunting.

Since a ballista is like a crossbow, I'd assume that I can launch one within 500 in CT, nice!

At what point is hunting no longer hunting with all the technology advancements. I have no range finder, no electronic wind telling device, no ear piece to help me hear game, no rifle that can shoot a million and one yards, no darn electronic anything.

About the most technologically advanced thing i have is a mathews bow lol

Now, some of you guys may be with me on this and some may not, either or is cool with me. I just hunt, i have hunted long enough to know what do to do and i dont need technology to improve my hunting skills. The only way to do that is sit in a tree and watch and learn.

Whose with me!! 

I'd agree w you.... except my computer has become a HUGE scouting tool... lol

By that analogy, you may want to look into hunting with rock.

I agree that being out there is important, but so is confidence in your hunting implement and knowing its advantages.

+1

The thing is that technology does NOT improve hunting skills. In fact it usually attempts to replace hunting skills. The trick is to find the stopping place for each individual where they can utilize some level of technology without being crippled by it. That is a decision that each hunter has to make for themselves. That Mathews bow that you use does actually represent one heck of a pile of modern-day technology, and I'll bet one could take a look at the rest of your set-up and spot all kinds of fairly high-tech stuff when compared to what I started out with. I also might mention that the equipment that I started out with represented some monster technological steps past the weapons of history. Consider those high-tech recurves with laminated limbs and with the modern glues and plastics, manufacturing procedures of Fred Bear's early mass produced bows along with that super-duper Dacron bowstring  and that Hoyt arrow rest with that plastic finger that was adhered to the bow with double sided tape was the latest thing on the market. I started out with the hottest bow hunting setup that made the ancient bows of the Turks look like true crap.

The point is that everybody has to make up their own minds as to where their comfort level is with the technology that belongs in this so-called primitive weapons season called bowseason. I understand what you are saying, and it appears to me that somewhere along the line, we have crossed some invisible line when it comes to bowhunting. But the fact is that no two people really can agree on where that line is. I am beginning to be convinced that there is no such line and never will be. Someone will always be trying to push the envelope until eventually you will not even know how to define the sport anymore.

False (it can sometimes), True (yup!), Exactly!!!

can we mix catapults with baiting? Just bait the deer into the catapult and launch it right into the freezer.

rofl lmao

Unless you have superhuman eyesight, no one could have distinguished between my 8" spike and a doe. Quite embarrassing. But it did have long ears.

quote name="phade" post="222500" timestamp="1374691002"]

Depends if it's a spike or a doe.

Moog toys around with superhuman draw weights just because he can, lol.

The thing is that technology does NOT improve hunting skills. In fact it usually attempts to replace hunting skills. The trick is to find the stopping place for each individual where they can utilize some level of technology without being crippled by it.

False (it can sometimes), True (yup!), Exactly!!!

I think you are mistaking "purchasing success" with actually obtaining hunting skills. There may be some skill involved in using items of new technology, but that does not the same as learning hunting skills. I'll stand by my original statement unless you have some good examples.