"The Challenge", this is why I bowhunt!

stevenjackson

For me the statement, "Stacking the odds in the animals favor." is what it's about. That is where the real challenge is... growing whitetails and keeping them on your property with food plots may be for some guys, but not for me... I like everything as natural as possible... I have gotten where I don't even want to know what bucks are on the property... I'd rather seek them out while hunting and take my chances on maybe finding one that fits my criteria... I shoot a 60# Martin recurve, cedar arrows with Zwicki, 2 blade, 125 grain broadheads. No sights, no frills... I hunt on the ground using only natural cover... I've been doing it for 12 years and even though I've passed on at least 100 bucks I have yet to get close to one that I wanted to kill... most guys would have hung it up going that long without taking a buck... but it's the opposite for me... each year I get more and more excited that this will be the year... when it happens it will be the ultimate experience for me.. yep, it's all about the challenge!

• Like 1

For me the statement, "Stacking the odds in the animals favor." is what it's about. That is where the real challenge is... growing whitetails and keeping them on your property with food plots may be for some guys, but not for me... I like everything as natural as possible... I have gotten where I don't even want to know what bucks are on the property... I'd rather seek them out while hunting and take my chances on maybe finding one that fits my criteria... I shoot a 60# Martin recurve, cedar arrows with Zwicki, 2 blade, 125 grain broadheads. No sights, no frills... I hunt on the ground using only natural cover... I've been doing it for 12 years and even though I've passed on at least 100 bucks I have yet to get close to one that I wanted to kill... most guys would have hung it up going that long without taking a buck... but it's the opposite for me... each year I get more and more excited that this will be the year... when it happens it will be the ultimate experience for me.. yep, it's all about the challenge!

Hunting the deer "as you find them" without modifying their behavior or patterns to suit hunting. I think that is part of what you are saying, and I completely agree. That all fits into the "challenge" of the activity.

• Like 1

Challenge is what it is all about for me.  While I want a weapon to be extremely effective, the challenge is usually finding deer in deep woods...  Stalking, ambush, knowledge of trails and habits and a quick assessment of the sign.  No tree stands, trail cams just plain old hunting like it was many years ago...

Your wits and knowledge vs nature and the wild deer a challenge for any hunter!!!

Lord thank you for the whitetail deer and the epic journey they take me on!!!  NOTHING in the world I would rather do than hunt deep woods bucks...  I thought taking a mature deer would quench my thirst but I am suffering from dry mouth!  Just can't get enough!!! :D

Sitka is too much for my blood, but I've tried it on a fair amount. If I was to the point that level of money didn't matter, I'd wear it.

Rugged, form fitted for movement, thin but warm, and lightweight. Prime western gear. The treestand stuff is nice, but again, overpriced for what I am willing to spend.

Hunting is what you make it of, within the ethical and legal boundaries.

LaCrosse had an old commerical many years ago that was just absolutely fantastic. It was just a pic of the boots being worn by a hunter (shot from the knee down so all you see are the boots), getting out of the truck and heading into the woods. At the start of the walk, all you heard were noises from homes, businesses, kids, cars, etc. As the walk went on, the sounds faded into natural sounds, marked by the step into a creek and the splash sounds, at which point all you heard were leaves rustling, trees blowing, the water, birds, etc. I always thought that was one of the best commericals ever made toward hunters. Yeti's new commerical with the cooler in the back pretty much describes my hunting. I feel that is another one that captures the spirit.

Edited by phade

• 2 weeks later...

Sitka is too much for my blood, but I've tried it on a fair amount. If I was to the point that level of money didn't matter, I'd wear it.

Rugged, form fitted for movement, thin but warm, and lightweight. Prime western gear. The treestand stuff is nice, but again, overpriced for what I am willing to spend.

Hunting is what you make it of, within the ethical and legal boundaries.

LaCrosse had an old commerical many years ago that was just absolutely fantastic. It was just a pic of the boots being worn by a hunter (shot from the knee down so all you see are the boots), getting out of the truck and heading into the woods. At the start of the walk, all you heard were noises from homes, businesses, kids, cars, etc. As the walk went on, the sounds faded into natural sounds, marked by the step into a creek and the splash sounds, at which point all you heard were leaves rustling, trees blowing, the water, birds, etc. I always thought that was one of the best commericals ever made toward hunters. Yeti's new commerical with the cooler in the back pretty much describes my hunting. I feel that is another one that captures the spirit.

Where can I find this old commercial from Lacrosse? Sounds cool! It reminds me of this...check it out 

http://huntervids.com/videos/confidence-hard-won-trophy-ridge-film/