Adding a pin to my sight?

josephmrtn

Ive got a 10 yrd and a 20 yrd pin on my sight and i wanna add a 15 yrd... good idea? 

I bought this today and will have to wait till it comes to see how it works... its exactly like the ones on my bow now just a different color...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Sights/Sight-Accessories%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104571180/i/104131080/Square-Block-Fiber-Wrap-Pins/745596.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsight-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100044%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104131080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104693580%253Bcat104571180&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104693580%3Bcat104571180%3Bcat104131080

Also bought some glue for fixing a nock and some silicone tubing for my peep sight cause mine broke and is too short...

I'm gonna be honest with you and say there is no way you should need a 10 yard and a 15 yard pin. You are young so I am going to assume you are pulling 50-70 pounds. Your top pin should easily get you to 20 yards. You really need to get some serious shooting in and figure this bow out.

Lots of men and probably a few women have given you good advice about getting your butt to a pro shop and getting this stuff sorted out, but you chose to try and take the short cut route. You are young and full of piss and vinegar and think you can do it on your own. It will hurt you in the long run. One trip to a good pro shop and spending an hour there listening to his or her advice will put you way ahead for hunting this season.

I really wish you luck, but it sounds like you are struggling bad to me. Sometimes in life you really need an expert no matter how much you can learn on the internet. You are talking about hoping it only takes you a few years to get a deer with your bow in another post. There is absolutely no reason for you not to expect to get one this year with your first shot. All it takes is the proper equipment and the knowledge to know how to tweak what you do have. That's where the pro shop can help a lot. And don't be offended if it is a woman giving you advice because I know a couple women that will shoot with best of the men.

• Like 1

I tried to answer your text message Joe but it kept kicking back???

I only use one pin, an HHA set up. Been using that one for 6 years or so and before that I just used a single pin sight also.

I need things REAL simple or I get confused badly.............

Edited by Lawdwaz

You should probably try a 15 yard pin then a 30 yard pin, in my opinion. Then that way you can just shoot from 1yard to 30yard and see where that takes you. Having that many pins so close will mess you up in long run possibly. Just shoot as mutch as you can till you can have confidence shooting at all yards and angles(treestand). Is this your first year bowhunting and if so first time shooting a bow?

I have my pins set at 20, 30, and, 40 yards but honestly the 40 yard pin is just for the range. I know I'm not go enough right now to take a 40 yard shots so all my setups are 30 yards and under. If the deer is within 10 yards I'll still use my 20 yard pin and aim for the middle of the boiler room. An inch high or an inch low at the boiler room 10 yards away isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I'm gonna be honest with you and say there is no way you should need a 10 yard and a 15 yard pin. You are young so I am going to assume you are pulling 50-70 pounds. Your top pin should easily get you to 20 yards. You really need to get some serious shooting in and figure this bow out.

Lots of men and probably a few women have given you good advice about getting your butt to a pro shop and getting this stuff sorted out, but you chose to try and take the short cut route. You are young and full of piss and vinegar and think you can do it on your own. It will hurt you in the long run. One trip to a good pro shop and spending an hour there listening to his or her advice will put you way ahead for hunting this season.

I really wish you luck, but it sounds like you are struggling bad to me. Sometimes in life you really need an expert no matter how much you can learn on the internet. You are talking about hoping it only takes you a few years to get a deer with your bow in another post. There is absolutely no reason for you not to expect to get one this year with your first shot. All it takes is the proper equipment and the knowledge to know how to tweak what you do have. That's where the pro shop can help a lot. And don't be offended if it is a woman giving you advice because I know a couple women that will shoot with best of the men.

60lbs, I DO want t get to a pro shop but you know how it is... i wont have my permit for 2 1/2 months and my license for prob close to a yr.... so i need ppl to drive me ect ect... its really a pain!!! the only reason i wanted a 15 yrd was just untill i get some experience at 15... then i would/could move it to 30... i was using my 20 yrd pin but it always shoots high and i have trouble remembering to compensate...

Yeah im sorry, i know i do try a little to hard to do this without help... its just REALLY hard for me since i cant drive... almost ALL of my stuff is done over the internet

I tried to answer your text message Joe but it kept kicking back???

I only use one pin, an HHA set up. Been using that one for 6 years or so and before that I just used a single pin sight also.

I need things REAL simple or I get confused badly.............

Weird... did it say why?

Ive looked at them but im always scared i would forget to adjust it...

You should probably try a 15 yard pin then a 30 yard pin, in my opinion. Then that way you can just shoot from 1yard to 30yard and see where that takes you. Having that many pins so close will mess you up in long run possibly. Just shoot as mutch as you can till you can have confidence shooting at all yards and angles(treestand). Is this your first year bowhunting and if so first time shooting a bow?

thats kinda my thought... i also have a little trouble shooting from a treestand... the angle seems to mess me up... I wish some of my "good" bowhunting friends lived closer...  yes this is my first yr bowhunting but no i have shot bow a bit before... this is kinda however the first yr im really serious about it... 

I apologize because I didn't realize you weren't even driving yet. I wish i was out that way because I would get you going. I feel like an ass now for riding you so much. My best advice for you now is to get a twenty yard pin set. Shoot 20 arrows a night for a week, and at the end of that week if you cannot hit a 4-6 inch circle pretty much every time, you have something wrong with your equipment or form. Then, you are going to have to get some help. There shouldn't be enough difference in where your arrow is hitting from 10-20 yards to make you miss this circle.

Don't fret. You honestly have time to be set up and confident in your shooting. Repitition is the key. That helps eliminate sources of your problems. You will surprise yourself when you get all set. These bows are usually way better than we are. Get your basics down before you start trying to add more stuff to your bow. If you practice diligently for a few weeks, you will find that a 4-6 inch circle is huge at 20 yards. Then you will know all is well. But, when you are starting out, it is much easier to have one pin and a nice big target.

Thats ok...

I can make paper plate sized groups at 20 yard almost every time...

Joe you need to get over here and i will fix you up and get ya to the shop i was telling you about.  I only use one pin myself, Have for years.  You can also. KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid!   lol

Let me know when ya want to come over!

• Like 2

Joe you need to get over here and i will fix you up and get ya to the shop i was telling you about.  I only use one pin myself, Have for years.  You can also. KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid!   lol

Let me know when ya want to come over!

Sending u a PM

Exactly!!!

• Like 1

Don't do it Joe. If you have set your shooting range limit to 20 yards, just have 1 pin for now. You can kill anything under that with no adjustment. Then after more practice and some help from FSW, you can add a whole bunch of stuff.

I already have 2 pins a 10 and 20.... im not sure what your saying, only have one pin? if i shoot at 20 yrds w a 10 yrd pin i clean miss.... same at 10 w a 20 yrd pin... sorry but i like being able to put the dot RIGHT ON the target and hit RIGHT where i aim... no compensating aka aiming high/low ect ect

If you adjust your pin for 20 yards you will be spot on at zero through twenty yards. By setting your bow up the way that you are, your setting yourself up for failure in the woods. Most hunters miss deer in the woods when they have to compensate for between yardages. For example, I have a 20, 30, and 40 yard pin and I rather shoot a deer at 30 yards than 23 yards. You have received lots of great advice from many experienced hunters. Listen to them... You are making much harder for yourself.