So I Passed...

josephmrtn

I use this app called "Sunrise & Set".  It's actually a photography app that I use to try and capture those moments on film but I find it works just as well for hunting purposes.  I also like that it gives you the civil twilight so you know exactly when you have to get out of the woods before it goes completely pitch black on you.

post-789-0-70402700-1376337769_thumb.jpg

Congrats.  Took my class last year.  Need to get some more field points - son sent two past a target and into a swampy pond.  Considering going to start archery this season - just need to get a target and find a safe location to practice.

I was one of two persons there with a long bow there for my class.  Those compound bows just don't feel right to me.

I always carry a copy of the seasons and limits with me to refer to as needed.  Shooting hours were different where I grew up so that is something I had to drill into my head when I moved to this state.

For planning purposes print a sunrise/sunset calendar for the season - http://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/New_York.asp

Do you need a bow to take the test?

NO actually they dont let you use your own bow for liability reasons... they also said that they are not testing you for accuracy but more watching for the safety aspects of it... they wanna be sure you know how to do it safetly

NO actually they dont let you use your own bow for liability reasons... they also said that they are not testing you for accuracy but more watching for the safety aspects of it... they wanna be sure you know how to do it safetly

They encouraged people to bring their own bows back a few years ago, LOL.  Wonder if it's a NY thing or just the instructor preference.

The instructors preferred that we brought own bow and field point arrows last year for mine in Putnam county.

Makes sense when the class is co-ed.  Image only having bows set at 70 lbs and handing that over to a 14 year-old girl to use.

They quickly looked over at each bow to make sure that it was serviceable and had a decent string on it.

The persons with compounds had the identify their draw weight settings - gave the instructors observing the usage to make any recommendations to adjusting the draw-weights.

Re-curve and long bow users had to string their bows so the instructors could make sure it was done correctly.

The guy set at 90 lbs basically lost his arrows - impaled the deer 3-d target and the backstop.  The arrows would not budge to retrieve them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just passed my test as well. Test was hard. The instructor did a review before it and gave all the correct answers before we took it

congrats dude I just passed mine on Thursday excellent class my instructor glen was the MAN! excellent experience cant wait to get started oct1st good luck brotha!

Congrats to both of ya! Cant wait to hit the woods!!!

I was just shooting my bow last weekend. First time ever even shooting a compound. I bought a Fred bear element used post-3146-13776182725603_thumb.jpg

This was my best group at 20 yards. It's a little low and right but I am still working out the bugs to get it dialed in. It's at the shop now getting tuned up

• Like 1