Deer infection

shawnhu

Anyone experience an infection from making contact with deer? I've heard of stories where those that butcher their own meat would get a nasty infection if they accidentally cut their hands while working a deer. I didn't think anything of it until I got a bad infection twice in my eye. Must have handled the deer then rubbed my eyes.

Anyone else with these experiences?

Phade, sometimes I get minor allergies to dog dander if I haven't been around them too long. But I build an immune to it after a day or so but will lose it if I'm not around them for extended periods.

That said, got a bad case of swelling on the white part of the eye last time and rubbing made it 10x worse! Entire eye was swollen and barely able to see out of it. White part became like Jello!

Edited by shawnhu

Could be it. I knew a guy who pretty much had a full on painter's suit with face mask just to gut a deer.

If he didn't, he had some serious issues. Nobody made fun of him either in the hunt club...not really something to joke about.

I have never had infection from gutting

Or butchering a deer. I do have an uncle that is allergic to deer fur. He has hunted all of his life and had just gained the allergy within the last 5-10 years. If he touches the fur his eyes start to water and get itchy, his hands swell and itch and begins to get hives all over and becomes itchy. 3 years ago he wore gloves to drag his dear out he said it helped a little because only his eyes began to water but a few days later he picked the gloves up off the seat of his truck and instantly his hands began to swell and itch.

Edited by noahmstone

People are also allergic to deer dander sometimes.

Stinks because they can barely gut a deer sometimes.

I have a buddy that has that affliction... avid hunter and has taken a lot of deer.. he absolutely can not gut a deer without breaking out, he always has someone with him when he hunts to gut for him .. he can drag as long as he has a drag rope... he can eat venison but can't even touch a deer/

Not a fan of any folding knife for gutting or any skinning/processing. Probably just in my head but I don't like nooks and crannies in a gutting knife for bacteria to hide in.

thats what clorox and a scrub brush is for lol lol

or the chance of it folding up on your hand.

my leatherman locks open really well