Hearts and Backstraps

shawnhu

I cook backstraps very simply:

In a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil with Cabelas Mountain Man Bourbon Rub and parsley sprinkled on top.  I use A1 steak sauce for dipping.  I cook them on like low-medium heat, because they cook really fast and can dry out easily. They continue cooking even after taking them out of the pan.

Regarding the hearts, I have no idea. I never brought one home. Actually, the last 2 whitetails I shot were right through the heart anyway.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

Take them straps and marinate in soy sauce and olive erl, then wrap them in bacon and grill em medium rare n slice em up. Them hearts on the other hand should be cubed small bout 1/2 inch and simmered in college inn beef stock for 3 hours then add a can of tuttorosso tomatoe sauce and some garlic, alittle red wine and alittle basil, one teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper and simmer for another 1/2 hour. pour that over some macaroni or rice and your good to go........................

• Like 1

so I have never tried heart before. I though about it with my last buck because it was sssooo big but changed my mind last minute. However this pictures looks like the most juiciest mouth watering hearts and straps

Edited by apoallo
  • Like 1

Slice the hearts across the grain like steaks (1/2" thick). Season with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Sauté some onions, peppers, minced garlic, and shrooms in a pan. In a separate pan, sere the heart on both sides and when veggies are nearly done, place the steaks on top of the veggies and cover for 2-4 minutes while cooking on med heat. Put the steaks with all the fixins inside a nice roll and enjoy!

• Like 1

What kind of knife is that? Looks like a plastic toy lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Some kind if high carbon stainless steel knife made in China. Surprisingly sharp and has a nice flex to it for getting around the ribs for removing the straps and carving out the rest of the deer. I've done 4 deer with it, and still as sharp as new.

It's disappointing since I like to sharpen my knives often.

I like to flash fry the straps in a skillet and dash them with some Pinch seasoning. I like to taste the venison, not sauces or bacon.

As for the hearts, the only way I've ever had them was pickled and I recommend it. 

A friend of mine had a stroke 2 years ago and his doctor directly attributed it with the consumption of 3 deer hearts within a short period :dontknow: 

I like to flash fry the straps in a skillet and dash them with some Pinch seasoning. I like to taste the venison, not sauces or bacon.

As for the hearts, the only way I've ever had them was pickled and I recommend it. 

A friend of mine had a stroke 2 years ago and his doctor directly attributed it with the consumption of 3 deer hearts within a short period :dontknow: 

How would the heart be any different than any other muscle type meat on a deer?  It's not like the liver or kidneys that has bile and toxins pass through it.  The heart gets fed nothing but blood like any other cut of meat.

Sure, venison has a lot less fat (nutritionally) than beef, but it's also higher in cholesterol. Organ meats (heart, liver, etc) are even higher yet!

Correct and cholesterol doesn't get burned like fats do, it is controlled by limiting intake.

I'll add to my story and say that my buddy wasn't in the greatest shape to start with, but a high dosage of cholesterol seemingly compounded a very serious problem.

Pickle the heart.

Backstraps- rub with olive oil and sprinkle cyenne pepper and garlic powder and roll and knead the pepper and garlic in . Grill on very hot grill in about a 6" length to feed 2. Medium rare at is the most I like it cooked my preference is almost like a rare grilled tuna. seared on outside and warm in the middle.

I just placed my order for the pressure canner.so this year I am adding canned venison to the arsenal.

I don't think you can cook them taste bad you better ship those hearts to me I will get rid of them for ya

most venison I go simple garlic & butter & a little salt. slice the heart like mini steaks & fry

Gfd,

We can arrange something on the next batch. Send me a PM if you are serious.