Cross Bows NO Longer Legal In NY

sidewinder

got my licence and permits along with the 2013-2014 regs and guide and found on page four the artical stating the fact. kinnda sucks for those that just went out and purchased a new crossbow.

Crossbows No Longer Legal Hunting Implements in New York State

The law that formerly allowed big game hunting with crossbows was written with an expiration date of December 31, 2012. As the law has expired, crossbows are not currently legal hunting implements in New York State. For future updates, check the DEC website.

Guess you have to use the same weapons you had used prior....... I am not for them for general use at all ... but I will say my guess is they will make them legal soon....also feeling like an early ML season is headed are way as per some of the DEC comments in pompous Piatts publication 

Guess you have to use the same weapons you had used prior....... I am not for them for general use at all ... but I will say my guess is they will make them legal soon....also feeling like an early ML season is headed are way as per some of the DEC comments in pompous Piatts publication 

Yep. They will have hunting season so screwed up in this state that I'll bite the bullet and spend my $$ and time hunting in Ohio!

got my licence and permits along with the 2013-2014 regs and guide and found on page four the artical stating the fact. kinnda sucks for those that just went out and purchased a new crossbow.

Crossbows No Longer Legal Hunting Implements in New York State

The law that formerly allowed big game hunting with crossbows was written with an expiration date of December 31, 2012. As the law has expired, crossbows are not currently legal hunting implements in New York State. For future updates, check the DEC website.

thanks for the breaking news we didn't already know. Sounds like you made an ill researched purchase. enjoy your paper weight.

Something tells me they might be legal next year

how many times have I heard that?

Yep, NY. is cutting it's own throat. I'll hunt with mine in Ohio, a state that's for the sportsman.

because bowhunter license numbers have been steadily rising? And a plan to reduce the cost of licenses? yes, cutting their own throat indeed...

Edited by Belo

its only illegal if you get caught ,

No! it's still illegal ...your just punished if caught

With areas such as ours being given 28,000 doe tags..which amounts to around 90 per square mile if I recall....then you know the DEC is going to have to put on a push to allow x-bows in as a legal implement...the only real question is....are they going to screw up how they bring them into deer hunting

I relish the thought of being allowed to throw a kill-light or a NV scope on one for yotes. That's all I'd care to do with them, but then again poachers probably would too. I'm sure the poaching aspect plays a good sized role in deciding the legality of x-bows.

• Like 1

its only illegal if you get caught , if you are handicapped and want to go hunting and still love being in the outdoors and can not pull a bow back , why not go with it , this state is a joke when it come to the xbow issue

I'm all for the xbow in NY, but not against breaking the law to hunt. I'll hunt with my xbow in other states until NY allows it again. If your handicapped, just gun hunt in NY this year.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I don't like it's ability and allowed string to be locked into position while driving for poachers, that scares me.  I really do not understand why they did not allow it in rifle season again...  (Do they know something we don't?)  I have changed my view on it's use and now want it included in bow season, if it helps recruit just a few I am all for it...  I feel they should not allow it to be at full draw in a vehicle.

Being as dedicated a hunter as I am I can not fathom braking any law that would stop me from entering the woods, I would never knowingly brake a gun, crossbow or compound bow law for any game...  But yea 6 posts in and you are telling us to use a crossbow if we don't think we'll get caught?  Ethics is something this site values and is one of the reasons I enjoy the company that is kept on this site...  Respect, integrity and love not only of my sport but of the game I cherish to view and hunt.  These are the things this site values, not advocating braking the law just because you can get away with it...  

I could go deep into the woods with a spotlight and get a deer just about every year with my bow they seem to not care when I am hunting for yotes at night...  (They seem much more relaxed and even approach in curiosity...)  My integrity, ethics and love of fair chase will not allow it, this included following all the laws to the best of my ability.  I hope you will start to think the same way specialk1791, we argue about many things on this site yet one thing that persists among most hunters on this site is Respect, Ethics and Integrity.  Join the club we would love to have you!!!

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my wife to her bow hunting class this past weekend and the instructor was telling everyone in the class that xbows are legal and were grandfathered in or something if u already filled out that card that comes with the guidebook. He could have been talking out of his ass....not sure. But maybe worth checking into.

I just took my wife to her bow hunting class this past weekend and the instructor was telling everyone in the class that xbows are legal and were grandfathered in or something if u already filled out that card that comes with the guidebook. He could have been talking out of his ass....not sure. But maybe worth checking into.

he is talking out of his ass. My wife is taking her class next week. It saddens me that when we registered I started talking about how great it was that rifle was approved in wayne county and his comment was "yeah now all we need to legalize is crossbow". I'm not against anyone having an opinion, but for the instructor of the archery course to have this mindset saddens me.