Coyote hunting round

What's the smallest round you would consider sufficient for coyotes? I'd like to preserve the pelts so I'm not keen on using my deer rifle. Is a well placed .17 HMR ok in your opinion?

Unless you're in an open field, it may be hard to track from a 17HMR hit. If you're good enough for a headshot, use CCI FMJ. If you're going for a heart, go with the CCI GamePoint or the Hornady XTP. Double lung, either the GamePoint or the CCI TNT should suffice. I would go with the VMax for this application.

Good luck.

You'll constantly hear people tell you of how deer has been killed with a 22LR and it's certainly possible because as you know, shot placement is everything.  I've never tried but if a 22LR can take down a deer, I'm certain a 17HMR can take down a coyote.

For small calibers, you have to place the round perfectly.  Larger calibers are more forgiving.  So how good of a shot are you really.  That's what you have to ask yourself.  Are you willing to pass up an opportunity if you don't have a perfect shot?

At under a 100 yards, no crosswind, open field with no obstructions, I'll take the shot with a 17HMR.  At a 100 yards with heavy cross winds and the coyote facing me, bobbing his head up and down as he sniffs the ground, then the air, I would pass on him with my 17HMR.  With my 308, I just aim at the chest and let her rip without a second thought.

So a 17HMR can certainly kill a coyote with a 17HMR.  The real question is can you kill a coyote with a 17HMR.  That something only you know the answer to.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

I've never used a .17hmr, but I do use a .22mag during deer season as my area is shotgun only for deer.

It would be worth a look into the new .17 Super Mag. My brother just got one and says it shoots phenomanally, devastating water jugs at 150+ yds.

• Like 1

How much was it .....about $350.00  ?  I've been number 1 on the waiting list at my local gun shop. Still waiting for them to get them in.

Your talking about the Savage B-Mag ......correct ??

Yep the B-Mag and I think $350.00 is about what he paid.

I'd scoop up a nice used .222 if I had the opportunity, but will probably just end up saving for a new bow or .204 ruger. An over/under combo like the tikka .222 over 12Ga. would be great as well.  Til then, I'm content with just using the .22mag and #4buckshot outta the shotty. 

Use the .223... Not overly destructive to pelts and is capable of clean kills with body shots out to 400 yards or so. The 22-250 is an excellent round also, but is more destructive to pelts.

Head shots  ??  Good luck unless the coyote is in a trap.

I have had darn few  opportunities at stationary coyotes, and head shots are not very often an option. 

Rimfires like the .22 mag are effective at close range ( 150 yards or less) but often require tracking and why limit yourself in range..

The .222 Rem is a sweet chambering ( I owned one for 50 years)  but is no better than a .223 and the .223 is much more available in rifle choice and ammo.

I'm wondering how many coyotes the HEAD SHOT advocates have actually killed...

I have only killed a half dozen of them, but most of them were moving and would have been tough to execute a head shot on..

One exception was a big Canadian dog that responded to my turkey call and got a face full of copper plated # 6 shot  at about 15 yards for his effort.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

At night you put there cross hair between the glowing eyes. Went to the western ny outdoors show last April went to the predator hunting seminar and I presenter's favorite line was "shoot him in the face"

This is fine to try ONLY after you've positively identified it as a predator(yote,fox,or bobcat). BY this I mean you must see the whole animal. 

IMO, "shoot him in the face"  seems a bit vulgar to be saying at an outdoors show.