Newborn Fawn..................

Lawdwaz

How about this, a friend took this picture yesterday and text it to me.  Think this one would make it to see the middle of February?

I'm not sure of the location of the fawn but I'd think (and could find out if necessary) Ontario/Livingston county border.

null_zpsfaa4e7e9.jpg

Laws ...Just last week Mr. B came home and said he saw a set of very tiny twins  on the way home...and in the field there has been a small fawn with lots of spots  along with the other fawns that have very faded or no spots now. and are 2x's it's size..it happens around here every year...just like the very early occasional doe being bred about now...by the way my clover still looks like that...

• Like 1

That pic has been floating around FB for a few months. At least, I think it has.

Look at the clover...much more of a June pic.

I can't promise much but I can promise that was taken yesterday.  I just got off the phone with the guy that took it.  He was mowing hay on his farm.  He said it was a good thing the hay was short or he'd have never seen it.  After the picture it stood up and wobbled off to the woods on shaky legs.

Won't mention a name but a friend I hunt with killed a 27lbs button buck during muzzloader one year. Still had stripe of spots down its back. Was so smalI i thought it was the heart and liver bag at his feet when i went to retrieve it. with tractor...... he swears was the best two sandwiches he ever ate....

Looks alittle big for a new born in my opinion, I am sure is was just hiding out in the clover field. I always chat with the farmer that farms my land, and we is always telling me how many fawns he see's when he cuts the hay.I am attaching a picture of a new born fawn, I found this at the end of may. This little buy was still wet. He was in the hedgerow at the end of a vineyard. We where doing some work in the vineyard, and I think we spooked the mom out of the vineyard and she dropped it on the edge of the hedgerow and the vineyard.

post-451-0-94840800-1378417217_thumb.jpg

Looks alittle big for a new born in my opinion, I am sure is was just hiding out in the clover field. I always chat with the farmer that farms my land, and we is always telling me how many fawns he see's when he cuts the hay.I am attaching a picture of a new born fawn, I found this at the end of may. This little buy was still wet. He was in the hedgerow at the end of a vineyard. We where doing some work in the vineyard, and I think we spooked the mom out of the vineyard and she dropped it on the edge of the hedgerow and the vineyard.

I agree, while not a newborn, it is still a late birth.

That pic has been floating around FB for a few months. At least, I think it has.

Look at the clover...much more of a June pic.

Phade- all of my clover looks like this right now. I'll take a picture before I clip it tonight.

The OP's fawn looks like every newborn fawn I've ever encountered. That thing is tiny- the only thing you compare it to is the clover and it's eyes are smaller than any of the leaves. If it was more than a week old it wouldn't still be laying there.

The fawn in that picture is newborn. I had a fawn with spots hanging out in my yard for about 3 days in early June.The fawn was back this morning, I could not believe how few spots were left and how much It had grown.I had to get to work or I would have taken a picture.I hope the one above can survive the year.

Won't mention a name but a friend I hunt with killed a 27lbs button buck during muzzloader one year. Still had stripe of spots down its back. Was so smalI i thought it was the heart and liver bag at his feet when i went to retrieve it. with tractor...... he swears was the best two sandwiches he ever ate....

He must hunt with a reduced load.  There's no way with a 250-300 gr  going 1400-2000 fps is not going to destroy a fawn and leave any edible meat.  Why would he even shoot at a deer with spots?  The first time a friend or hunting buddy tells me he shot a deer with spots will be the last time I talk to him. 

He must hunt with a reduced load.  There's no way with a 250-300 gr  going 1400-2000 fps is not going to destroy a fawn and leave any edible meat.  Why would he even shoot at a deer with spots?  The first time a friend or hunting buddy tells me he shot a deer with spots will be the last time I talk to him. 

NOTE:  The stripes were down the back of the deer he is talking about.  I've seen that before and might even have pics of one that was straight down from my stand one time.  The spots are NOT visible from ground level.

What ya gonna do?  Loose a friend over it, really?  I'm sure the guy was highly embarrassed and didn't mean to do it.  Shiiit happens.

• Like 1

You can't tell me a fawn with spots, weather or not they're visible from your position (fyi, for a shot through the vitals, you'll need to see the side of the deer where the spots are), isn't obviously small.  I'm never so hard up for a deer in the freezer that I'm going to shoot a baby.  Hell, the amount of meat from it won't be worth the processing fee.

A single deer running at full speed is tough to tell how big or see spots. Especially at 70 yards. Was a perfect shot thru both lungs. And he got 11.5lbs of boneless meat from it. And he is still teased relentlessly about it. Several years later. But being over 60years old who cares. It prolly would not of made the winter as it was heavy snow that year. and he still says was the tenderest meat he ever had! We process all our own deer so fees aren't a concern.

Edited by G-Man

Please remember perspective...  I pass many deer including doe but I do not force my hunting ethics on others.  (I only advise on what I do any why...)  Some choose to shoot every deer they can just to say "I killed 8 deer last year!"  While I have a hard time pulling the trigger on doe or any small deer I will not complain about any deer my hunting partner takes.  HE is a meat eater and I think he will start to drool when he finally takes one...  I love to stalk deer while still hunting but I never complain about the guys who hunts from a tree stand.   

I love to get into the woods early then track/still hunt all day until it's dark yet I do not expect my hunting buddies to do the same...  I encourage them to shoot mature deer but that is as far as I go.  Many of my hunting friends say if it has horns they are shooting...  To each his own I say as long as it's legal!!!

While I can not pull the trigger on some deer that will not stop me from eating them...

One guy who use to come up to our hunting camp would get SMASHED and stay at camp all day drunk as a skunk!  I did not mind until I heard we where know in the area as the "DRUNKS"...  Even after hearing that I did not tell him he was not allowed at camp.  The only thing I did tell him was the morning he was drinking at 10 am and I mean pounding hard core, then he picked up the gun.

WAIT, Woo Woo!!!    I said WT hell do you think you are doing?  He said hunting, I said not today your not...  After a brief but heated argument he put the gun down and stayed at camp for the day. I will not compromise on safety!!!  After explaining how if the DEC, Ranger, ECO or any others in charge of safety smelled his breath, they would think we ALL were smashed in the woods with guns...  Anyone who knows how dedicated to hunting I am knows this is not something I will allow!!! 

If you will be so upset at your hunting partner for shooting a baby I would let them know before you hunt what your ethics are and what is acceptable to you.  It will keep your friendship going much better if everyone in the group is on the same page...

PS:  Nice fawn pics  Saw one during hunting season one year opening week, spots where almost gone but it was small, doubt it made it though the winter...  Smallest deer I ever saw at that time of the year...  Crazy...   1994-95