Paper plate archers in full effect today

jesse.james

Well its getting to be that time of year again at my local open archery range. I shoot at Long Branch Park.  Open archery range for general public.  Through out most of the summer you can be the only there for hours.  Come this time of year it gets crowded.  Anways went out tonight and seen quite a few of the what I like to call the paper plate archers.  Dusted off the bow for the first time.  Put the paper plate up against the twine bales and start firing from 20 yards.  Have the most god awful form you have ever seen.  Their untuned ancient bows sound more like a 22 going off.  They spend more time looking for their arrows than shooting.  Finally get 3 out of 5 arrows to hit the plate and call it as they say...yup all sighted in im ready for the season.  I feel horrible for the animal they plan to shoot at this year.  I can do nothing but shake my head in wonder. 

On a side note I did see something else that made me chuckle.  This asian guy was out there...pretty sure it was ShawnHu (jking) Anyways..i really think he watched the olympics a bit too much.  And decided he could do it to and went out and bought everything the US olympic team was using.  Was out there in a full on target rig.  Looked like a contender or one of the other high end target bows 2 1/2 foot stab on it blade rest.  The whole 9 yards.  Was shooting at a 3d deer target.  20 yards away and couldnt seem to even hit the deer at all.

Typical...  I know a few that practice when they get up to there cabin.  I had one guy who was not able to hit a deer target at 15 yards...  I shot bad today, going to try and work on form again tomorrow.  Then retest my 70 yard pin...  After cleaning the gutters my shoulders are sore, see how I feel...  My muscle memory is good just need to keep my peep perfect and bow level when I release.  Hard to keep good form when I am tired so I am shooting less arrows and concentrating on form more. 

I have one guy who only bench shoots his gun, never free hand...  Some will never learn.  For others their is hope...

Typical...  I know a few that practice when they get up to there cabin.  I had one guy who was not able to hit a deer target at 15 yards...  I shot bad today, going to try and work on form again tomorrow.  Then retest my 70 yard pin...  After cleaning the gutters my shoulders are sore, see how I feel...  My muscle memory is good just need to keep my peep perfect and bow level when I release.  Hard to keep good form when I am tired so I am shooting less arrows and concentrating on form more. 

I have one guy who only bench shoots his gun, never free hand...  Some will never learn.  For others their is hope...

yeah I was off today myself.  Was annoyed to say the least.  Cant shoot tomorrow as final prep on my lease tomorrow but hoping to get back out on Monday.

Went to the last 3d shoot of the year today shot a 320 out of 400 , but never gets old of hearing people 3-4 targets behind you and the sound of an arrow smackin a tree or a down log, reminds me of the oh so,horrible times I had before I knew what I,was really doing, some people just,dont put the practice and fine tuning of equipment and form that's needed to be able to shoot great,

• Like 1

Well its getting to be that time of year again at my local open archery range. I shoot at Long Branch Park. Open archery range for general public. Through out most of the summer you can be the only there for hours. Come this time of year it gets crowded. Anways went out tonight and seen quite a few of the what I like to call the paper plate archers. Dusted off the bow for the first time. Put the paper plate up against the twine bales and start firing from 20 yards. Have the most god awful form you have ever seen. Their untuned ancient bows sound more like a 22 going off. They spend more time looking for their arrows than shooting. Finally get 3 out of 5 arrows to hit the plate and call it as they say...yup all sighted in im ready for the season. I feel horrible for the animal they plan to shoot at this year. I can do nothing but shake my head in wonder.

On a side note I did see something else that made me chuckle. This asian guy was out there...pretty sure it was ShawnHu (jking) Anyways..i really think he watched the olympics a bit too much. And decided he could do it to and went out and bought everything the US olympic team was using. Was out there in a full on target rig. Looked like a contender or one of the other high end target bows 2 1/2 foot stab on it blade rest. The whole 9 yards. Was shooting at a 3d deer target. 20 yards away and couldnt seem to even hit the deer at all.

Funny you mentioned, I thought you were the upstate hick I saw at the range today with the Pickup truck and no teeth, then I realized you were just poking fun. Let me put a in there for good measure.

I was out today re-sighting in the bow. Learned a couple things and had a great time chatting with other archers. Had a great time meeting more experienced and beginner archers alike. Fixed a you get archers bow for him, an learned a few tips from the older folks. This is what it's all about for me, getting along with fellow hunters and sharing experiences from one generation to the next.

• Like 1

As a general rule, what I have noticed is these guys that pay no attention to practice are pretty much so bad that they don't even pose any danger to the critters. It's the guys who practice a little ..... just enough to hit an animal, that are the problem. The other ones are so bad that the arrows hit at the feet of deer or go sailing 5' over their backs.

Funny you mentioned, I thought you were the upstate hick I saw at the range today with the Pickup truck and no teeth, then I realized you were just poking fun. Let me put a in there for good measure.

I was out today re-sighting in the bow. Learned a couple things and had a great time chatting with other archers. Had a great time meeting more experienced and beginner archers alike. Fixed a you get archers bow for him, an learned a few tips from the older folks. This is what it's all about for me, getting along with fellow hunters and sharing experiences from one generation to the next.

I was just playing around lol.  I have no bad blood or anything.  Also meant no disrespect.  Anyways Yes Im from Upstate but no Im not a hick.  Lived in Philadelphia a few years and do like to shoot down to NYC near Christmas every year.

Edited by jesse.james
  • Like 1

I wish I had more time to practice, I belong to an archery club but only make it out there 4-5 times a year. I practice in my garage at home almost daily. When I can practice 30-40 yd shots I see that know I need more practice.  I've seen guys that can shoot paper and 3d targets great but come unglued at the real thing. Bottom line is you have to know your limits and stay within them. Good luck to all.

as sad as this is....go to any big sporting goods store the day before gun season opens....my buddy used to work at DIcks and he said they would extend their hours, sell countless bore sighting/new sight/combo guns to pros of the woods.

NY hunters suck....we have one of the laziest fraternities out there....ton of cheats too....not sure where heritage and interest left obligation and practice behind. Proof perfect of how things would go if crossbow was legalized for everyone

NY hunters suck....we have one of the laziest fraternities out there....ton of cheats too....not sure where heritage and interest left obligation and practice behind.

Hey .... easy there big fella. I'm one of those NY hunters. I ain't lazy and I don't cheat. I have not spent a lifetime hunting alongside of every hunter in the U.S. (and probably you haven't either ....lol), but I suspect that every state has their share of good guys and bad guys. NY is no different.

The big problem is everyone is trying to cram as much into the year as they possibly can and time has become a very scarce commodity. They still want to hunt, but really don't have the time to do it right. But then, the ones who can't do it half-ways right usually are here and gone in a short timeframe. They really want that instant gratification, and when it doesn't happen, they lose interest. It's nature's way of weeding out the bad ones.

• Like 2

As a general rule, what I have noticed is these guys that pay no attention to practice are pretty much so bad that they don't even pose any danger to the critters. It's the guys who practice a little ..... just enough to hit an animal, that are the problem. The other ones are so bad that the arrows hit at the feet of deer or go sailing 5' over their backs.

Yep.....Just enough to be dangerous!

it's funny, I've some of the best archery tournament shooters, who couldn't kill a deer to save there lives, they just get rattled 

and some guys I crushed on a 3D course who's walls are full of trophy's

I get it some guys are lazy slobs true, however  there's some guys you look down on, and you're NOT hunter enough to carry there jockstrap

• Like 1

Ok today I am going to EAT before I shoot and see how well I do.  I like to practice while stressed out and not stressed out to see how well I do under both conditions.  For when I finally climb these peaks in the ADK I am sometimes stressed and need to know my limits...  I shoot much better when I can focus on form but sometimes feet position affects my accuracy...  I find shooting uphill harder to maintain accuracy than shooting downhill...  And shooting from a kneeling position is one of my best ways of holding steady. 

Ethical kills have to be the highest priority on arrow release- not an option- a lack of practice is laziness; no excuses. Hunting without ample training/practice is slobbish behavior. Not saying you have to be a tourney pro and things dont go wrong but you have to proficient

And NY hunters are lazier than most...no specific folks were singled out and i too am associated with the same state these jack wagons wound and miss in

And NY hunters are lazier than most...

Yes, but what is that statement based on? I don't know anybody here that is qualified enough to be able to make that statement in a credible way. For example, is there some study or special circumstance that has given you a view of every hunter in every state in terms of how lazy they are?

My "guess" (and that's all it is), is that hunters are the same no matter what state they are from.

• 2 weeks later...

June through the beginning of November is my busy season.  I average 60-65 hours a week, spiking as high as 90 on occasion.  Try balancing that with a family, then adding to that trying to get practice / hunting time. Also, living in NYC, it can be difficult to find a place to shoot, even when I do get a moment to myself on a Sunday.

That being said, I bought a brand new release last week, "dusted off" my bow that's probably been in its case since May, and put 30/30 into the kill zone of my target at 20 yards.  Next Sunday I'll get out to the range (hopefully) and get some 30 yard practice in.

I'll feel as confident as ever going into the field, even if I only get to shoot 2 or 3 more times before I get a chance to go hunting, which at this point looks around mid October.  The main reason is, I don't take stupid shots.  If the shot isn't right, I don't take it.  It's that simple. The risk of wounding and losing a deer by trying a low percentage shot just isn't worth it to me.

Would I love more free time to practice? Of course, I'd love more free time to do a lot of things, but sometimes you just have to play the best you can with the cards you're dealt.

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 2

My bow was dead on at the end of last years season. Shot it a few times over the spring and summer. But between fishing tournies work and family i didnt get to shoot it as much. Picked it up a few weeks ago to shoot with my hunting buddies and it was still dead on. Few minor tweaks but even if i hadnt made those tweaks i would still feel confident in the woods.

Or my bow last year, and was only able to shoot it a few times at the indoor range at 20 yards before I decided to take it out on some of my scouting and hiking sessions. If I came across a deer within that range, I'd shoot it. The opportunity never presented itself.

First time shooting this year, was about a month ago, at a test to qualify for a DMP program. 3 out of 5 within 8" @25 yards is the minimum. Passed, no problem.

Since then, I've self-adjusted my bow to better suit me by increasing DL and adjusting peep location along with the front sight. I've shot at the indoor and outdoor a handful of times and now feel confident out to 30, but can easily hit vitals at 50. I'll be practicing at 50 until I can get 100/100 within vitals then move to 60.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

at a test to qualify for a DMP program. 3 out of 5 within 8" @25 yards is the minimum. Passed, no problem.

3 out of 5 in  8" at 25 and they call that good enough to get into one of these programs? That is disgusting. I would rather see them say you get one arrow and if that is in the 8" circle ok. I wouldn't walk into the woods if I was shooting like that.  (not about you I am talking about the program qualifications)

• Like 1