Ever do something stupid?

phade

I'm sure everyone has, I just chose to do it the Sunday before season.

Was on a parcel I got last second permission on and it's a great piece. Found a good buck and his bed and was setting up a stand and had my finger crushed by the stand stabilizer bar as the stand slid off the tree. Looks pretty gross. Docs said I was extremely lucky not to have had it broken from the crush and the tissue exploded out two points of my skin and stopped the bleeding.

Good thing it is my bow hand pointer, but have to try my grip tonight. Dumb. Dumb Dumb. I also did not have a first aid kit with me or in the truck. Lesson learned.

Couldn't finish getting the stand up, too.

post-575-0-74273900-1380540666_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade

I'll see your hurt finger and raise it one...

June 2nd my family and I went up north to help another buddy out getting his camp ready to go. Its is a guide's cabin deep in the Daks with a steep roof that ties into a flatter metal roof. Well the stove pipe needed a new cap on it and I was the little guy (ha) so I was the one for the job. Up on the roof I skampered and then I pulled the step ladder up behind me and laid it against the steeper roof in front of an audiance of kids and parents and decided a wet leaf pile would hold me. I actualy said "These leaves should hold me" as I bounded up the ladder. Just as I made it to the top step that isnt a step my wife say's thats not a good idea..quite woman I am a pro at this stuff...down I went riding the ladder holding the galvanized stove pipe cap. I thought I made it unscathed until I pulled the cap off my ring finger and sprayed blood like a stuck pig. I had to sit down for minute and then had to wrap my finger up in a dirty towel and then get myself down off the roof which was not easy. Two hours later we pulled into Warensburg and I got six stich's and my finger is still numb. I was lucky not to cut the entire end off honestly. Two weeks later I went back up and finished the job with a different ladder, I showed that stove pipe!

Edited by Doewhacker

You mean something like, cutting down a tree a few days before season because it has poison ivy branches/leaves sticking out 3 feet on each side, blocking you're view, and now having poison ivy on both arms the day before season???? :O  That kind of stupid??

Glad your finger is OK!

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

His bed is about 20 yards behind me in that pic. The whole place is tore up with his rubs. Good buck and I don't need a cam in there to tell me that with those new rubs, lol.

I'm irritated because that's a good set-up that will need another intrusion to fix (getting stand up again and clearing lanes). Debated trying to fix it then and there, but common sense eventually settled in and went to urgent care.

I was about 5-6 feet off the ground too. Moog was holding me up army style (foot in hands). Man did it hurt.

Next time I'll be brighter.

I couldn't imagine poison ivy in this heat this week. Yuck.

phade, on 30 Sept 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

I was about 5-6 feet off the ground too. Moog was holding me up army style (foot in hands). Man did it hurt.

I couldn't imagine poison ivy in this heat this week. Yuck.

Maybe it would have been better if you were sitting on his shoulders?? :biggrin:  THAT would have been a sight!! LOL

Yeah, I sat at a football game on Saturday afternoon. It was HOT in the direct sun, started to sweat, and my arms itched like a MOFO!!! Couldn't wait to get out of there!! 

Most recent stupid even that comes to mind involves a rifle that I tried to fix myself.

I have an old Savage Model 99 that I refuse to part with. A number of years ago, I realized that the nut holding the stock to the action was getting loose, so I got out the old screwdriver and got it nice & tight.

A year or two later, I took the gun bear hunting. I loaded the gun, and was checking the safety, and the gun went off (luckily pointed in a safe direction). OOPS, gotta be more careful!

A couple years after, I took the gun to the range to check the zero, and again BOOM!!!! Rifle went off when I flicked off the safety. Again, I thought I might have had my fingers inside the trigger guard and touched off a round. OOPS, Gotta be more careful!!

2 years ago, I decided to take the old 99 deer hunting. A big 9 pointer waltzed out of the goldenrod, I shouldered the rifle, took off the safety, and BOOM!!! Luck was on my side that day, the deer stopped to try & see where the shot came from, and I was able to get off another shot. After I got down to start the gut & drag job, I started thinking about why the gun had misfired, and recalled this having happened twice before.....I knew for a FACT that my finger wasn't even near the trigger guard this time, and I decided I was going to take the gun to the gunsmith.

I never would have figured it out on my own, but the gunsmith asked who had tightened the stock so much. I told him I bought it like that (LOL). He explained that the safety spring had too much pressure on it from being squeezed too tightly inside, and that I needed to replace the spring and whatever I did, DON"T TIGHTEN THE STOCK SO MUCH AGAIN!! 

Did he have a sign hanging out on his bed?

something like:

This is Bob the 8 point's Bed

Please Remove Your Shoes

My dumbest thing? New to climbers and going to high without a small enough loop, when getting down i couldn't get the bottom to grip and when my upperbody strength finally gave out I ended up sliding down 15' or so bear hugging the tree. Still have some red marks on my stomach from where it ripped my skin... 3 years ago.

Edited by Belo

Phade handled the whole incident well but we were pretty careless.  Lesson learned.  When he got down and told me he thought he broke his finger, first thing I thought was which finger - will he be able to shoot his bow?  WE must be a bit sick.  I think I heard that buck laughing at us in the distance.

Did he have a sign hanging out on his bed?

something like:

This is Bob the 8 point's Bed

Please Remove Your Shoes

My dumbest thing? New to climbers and going to high without a small enough loop, when getting down i couldn't get the bottom to grip and when my upperbody strength finally gave out I ended up sliding down 15' or so bear hugging the tree. Still have some red marks on my stomach from where it ripped my skin... 3 years ago.

This buck bed was in a good spot, but super easy to locate. Harder to kill because the bed is in a good location to watch what he can't smell and smell what he can't see, as most mature buck beds are.

You act like finding a bed is impossible, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why.

Climbers are silly sometimes. Always love thinking I have the right angle on the platform and get up to stand height and be angling down.

Ya a week or so before season I tried to break up a dog fight and had part of my pinky finger bitten off...the surgeon that fixed up the "partial" amputation...kept saying it won't look bad...I just told him it needed to be good enough for me to hold my bow and hunt......he bow hunts as well and wrapped the hand in just the right position...Shot an 8pt on third day of the season...So Good luck with your hunt...but make sure you keep it out of the guts...hand wounds and feet wounds are the easiest to infect...PS...gutting one handed is a b---h....lol

Although it's no where as bad as your finger, my latest "Here's yer sign" moment was 4 weeks ago.

With extremely high anticipation because I got a new piece of land to hunt, I loaded my ladder stand and all my gear in the truck and drove the 2 hour drive to the southern tier.  Once there I realized that I forgot the stabilizer bar.  I couldn't set-up the stand without it so I left the stand at my parents, hung a camera and drove back down 2 weeks later to set it up.

This buck bed was in a good spot, but super easy to locate. Harder to kill because the bed is in a good location to watch what he can't smell and smell what he can't see, as most mature buck beds are.

You act like finding a bed is impossible, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why.

Climbers are silly sometimes. Always love thinking I have the right angle on the platform and get up to stand height and be angling down.

glad you didn't overreact. At this point it's just a light harded jab and an ongoing joke. Like i've said, whatever works for you is what you should do.

I bought the climber specifically for some state land when I lived in Buffalo. Allowed me to hunt more instead of driving back to Ontario every weekend. Not a fan of climbers... plus mine was cheap.

My uncle decide to buy a couple of latter stands a few years ago before shotgun opened up. Well he got down to camp the night befor opening day and said go and put them together. Well we did and when we were all said and done it was pushing 9 pm. He tells go put this one up in the pines and well put the other one up down the hill in the morning. So my brother my buddy and my self being the young 16-18 year old kids decide ok should be easy enough. Well all is going well until we have to secure it to the tree with the ratchet strap. My brother volunteers to do it. He's also the biggest pushing 275 lbs at the time. He gets up to the base of the later and the bottom portion of the latter sinks in or shifts causing the whole stand to shift hard needless to say trying to catch a 275 lbs guy falling from 10 feet was a painful experience

Me and Moog actually picked out a stand site the first time around but then better thought of it as a rub was found off to the side of a doe bedding area about 60 yards or so west. We said this doesn't make sense from a predominant wind direction - pretty quickly we found out that rub was pretty far into the route of that buck out to feed.

Looking at the predominant downwind side we caught the rubline of this buck and back tracked him to his bed, which had three or four rubs of similar size within 20 yards of it.

Made total sense as we figured it out and our initial stand site would have sent our scent stream right to him with a predominant wind - thinking we were actually downwind of the doe bedding.

This was a text book mature buck bed.

It's OK if he doesn't believe or want to implement these tactics. It doesn't work for him, as he says. I don't understand why he discredits the tactic without ever trying it (I believe he said that earlier this year), but hey, whatever.

Shhhh.   Don't tell phade, but I made the rubs and even left deer turds/hair in the "bed" while he wasn't looking before we spotted them "for the first time".  I didn't want him in the really good stand when we hunt there. 

Acutally, it was pretty cool.  You could well understand why a buck would bed there.  Perfect vision to the downwind side and he could scent check the doe bedding area while still in his small bedding area.  Leeward side of a ridge.  No doubt it was a buck bedding area whatsoever. I would bet he busted us while we are posting long before we got near him.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Belo, you should look into the bed hunting thing, youd be surprised how it actually works. Hopefully within the span of this season Ill have the pictures and specific buck on the wall to show for it.

Me and Moog actually picked out a stand site the first time around but then better thought of it as a rub was found off to the side of a doe bedding area about 60 yards or so west. We said this doesn't make sense from a predominant wind direction - pretty quickly we found out that rub was pretty far into the route of that buck out to feed.

Looking at the predominant downwind side we caught the rubline of this buck and back tracked him to his bed, which had three or four rubs of similar size within 20 yards of it.

Made total sense as we figured it out and our initial stand site would have sent our scent stream right to him with a predominant wind - thinking we were actually downwind of the doe bedding.

This was a text book mature buck bed.

It's OK if he doesn't believe or want to implement these tactics. It doesn't work for him, as he says. I don't understand why he discredits the tactic without ever trying it (I believe he said that earlier this year), but hey, whatever.

I don't discredit it... I find it funny how much you tout it. Your posts come across sometimes to me as all knowing and the best way to hunt. I'm actually pretty sure you don't mean them to be, and I don't think i've ever been disrespectful in countering you. As I've said before I think it's fair the members can hear both sides nad decide for themselves.

Edited by Belo