Dogs

beachpeaz

My neighbors have 3 dogs that NEVER stop barking. Wake us up before sunrise and bark through the night half the time.  They are also ALWAYS getting out of their kenel or off their leash.  They drive me mad.

So, I am sitting in my stand behind my house (mind you, it is 1/3 of a mile in the woods behind my house, not in my backyard yard) and sure enough, here come those stupid dogs chasing a little 4 point.  2 of them are still hooked together with their leash broken off whatever they were hooked to with the 3rd chasing behind them.

I had a perfect broadside shot at about 25 yards on the DOGS, lol.  Very tempting.  Like a good neighbor (and against better judgment), when they got tangled in the woods on some brush, I got out of my stand and basically ruined my morning of hunting to untangle them and walk them back to my neighbor.

What would you do?  And if you saw them chasing again what would you do??

I have had ENOUGH of their fricken dogs and i'm affraid my tolerance bar might be just low enough to do something I probably shouldn't next time......

Edited by beachpeaz

I would have taken pictures as proof...Called the DEC and had them take the dogs back to explain there are very hefty fines for dogs running deer...now multiply that by 3...bet you would  not hear them barking any more either...been there ...done that

(sp)

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

These threads never end well...

You did the right thing, as frustrating as it was. If your neighbor is approachable, just politely inform them that it's illegal to let the dogs "run at large" and that it can carry hefty fines. If the neighbor seems receptive to such a discussion, you can mention that even sweet dogs will harass a deer to death, and it's not a pleasant way to expire. Mention the barking, and that you'd appreciate it if they could be more considerate to their neighbors with the noise.

Sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesn't. I really hope it does. If it doesn't, well, it's time to start making calls and complaints. What they are doing IS illegal.

Trust me, this really gets a fire under my collar too (I can't tell how how often neighbors dogs have come over and harassed me and/or my poultry) but the last thing you want to do is harm the dogs, unless they are offering direct threat to you, your family, or livestock. It is always best to follow all legal routes first, if talking doesn't get you anywhere.

• Like 1

I would have taken pictures as proof...Called the DEC and had them take the dogs back to explain there are very hefty fines for dogs running deer...now multiply that by 3...bet you would  not hear them barking any more either...been there ...done that

(sp)

Exactly.  It doesn't sound like they care but if the authorities get involved, they may.

You did the right thing as much as you want them gone its better use your head and do the right thing talk to the folks see what happens if they dont do something in a timely manner then all bets are off and take the dogs to a pound if you find them loose again it may cost you a little cash to drop them off  BUT its going to cost them more to get the dogs out after it happens they will do something  (loose tags before taking to pound)

I agree you did the right thing.  If they are approachable as they seem, I would explain how much hunting is a part of your life and how dogs can interfere with your precious time in the woods.  Otherwise get them on film if possible while chasing deer that evidence will go a long way if you have to go the other route.  Hopefully they will work with you at least during hunting season!  Good luck and a virtual High Five for being a good Samaritan!!!  Hopefully they will see your good deed and return the favor...

Need more info to have any opinion on next step.

What did they say when you took them back?

Have you or anyone else ever talked to them before?

If so, what was their reaction/response?

He was sorry. It is not intentional and be thanked me for doing so.

With that said, this has been going on for 6 years since we built our house!!! In fact, one of their dogs left a nice print in our sidewalk when it was poured. Their small friendly dog craps in our lawn all the time. And lastly, they just got the 3rd one (replaced a dog) and it is large and VERY aggressive (as in, I fear that my children will be seriously hurt if the dogs got out again and my little kids were out playing).

I have had no less than 5 conversations with him PRIOR to this incident in the woods. I even told him that other hunters wouldn't be so tolerant seeing a dog chasing a deer and they would get shot.

I am literally at my whits end with this situation.

With that info, sorry isn't enough.

Time to get officials involved to enforce the leash laws where are the bare minimum restriction required every where in NY.

The neighbor has passively demonstrated he has no intent of correcting the issues just because you ask.

Don't return the dogs next time - give them to animal control.

Fines and costs will escalate with each new infraction.

Good luck.

• Like 1